Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Have I been ripped off?
  • guglielmo
    Free Member

I REALLY did not want to post this, but I could use some neutral opinions.

I bought a complete bike from a known, respectable seller. I paid the full asking price, no discount or bartering.

The bike was clearly pictured with nice pedals and a nice saddle.

The bike arrived with A LOT of faults, but worse than that:

the nice pedals weren’t there

the nice saddle had been swapped for a far inferior one

the fork was a different model and travel to what was stated in the ad

The tyres had been swapped from I believe tubeless 2.3’s to tubed 2.2’s with cracking sidewalls.

Titanium brake mount bolts pictured had been replaced with steel

Now, none of this was mentioned or agreed. I thought I was getting the bike in the pictures.

The seller says he never mentioned that the pedals and saddle WERE included, yet he pictured them and didn’t say “pedals not included” or “saddle to be swapped for a cheaper one”. So as far as I’m concerned they were included.

I’ve sold a bike in the past without pedals and either stated “pedals not included” or pictured the bike without them.

And I’d never dream of swapping different bits onto a bike after it was sold…

I’ve tried to be nice about it, but in reality how out of order is this?

It doesn’t look like we are going to agree on a solution so I’m happy to let him have the bike back, but no way should I be out of pocket on postage after it was so different to the description/pictures, right?

Really gutted with the situation 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

zippykona

Yes.

tjagain

Yes you have been ripped off. return for a refund or chageback under payplal / credit card

simondbarnes

Yes

ads678

Yep, and yes you shouldn’t be out of pocket. They should state any differences with what is pictured.

martinhutch

As he’s clearly not too fussed about the spec, how about finding a bike at your local tip and sending him that for your refund?

RobHilton
    Free Member

WHat are Ditch Forks?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah, all things being equal, someone’s taken the piss.

Is this via ebay?

Anyway, the postage issue, personally I’d just pay it and move on, fair or not, it’s better to get your money back and find another bike than spend a week arguing over £20 or whatever.

guglielmo
    Free Member

Not Ebay, on here sadly, which makes it a bit more gutting. I always think of people on STW as the same people I say hi to or help out out on the trails.

Postage was quite a lot, much more than £20, so definitely not fair that I should pay it.

tjagain

Either negotiate a compromise or go to small claims unless you paid by a method that you can reverse

curto80
    Free Member

Personal view is that industry practice is bike’s come without pedals unless stated that they are included, but that’s a minor issue in this case and otherwise agree entirely.

Stevet1
    Free Member

WHat are Ditch Forks?

BMX steet fork made by S&M in the late nineties to compliment there normal “Pitch forks” but with ‘U’ brake mounts and 14mm dropouts meant for street abuse. Heavier than a neutron star.

otsdr
    Free Member

Personal view is that industry practice is bike’s come without pedals

New bikes come without pedals, used ones come as pictured, unless explicitly mentioned in the ad.

Out of curiosity, does the seller’s marketplace posts to normal forum posts ratio result in a division by zero?

nbt

on a brand new bike yes, but when second hand you get what’s in the pic unless the seller explains otherwise

chakaping
    Free Member

on a brand new bike yes, but when second hand you get what’s in the pic unless the seller explains otherwise

+1

Respected seller on here? Didn’t realise there was such a thing.

wwaswas

If it’s in the picture you get it unless the ad says otherwise, imo.

Being generous it sounds like someone used old pics in the ad?

fork model and travel mis described is a bit odd too.

jonnyboi

Yes, that is an utter rip off. The bike is virtually completely not as advertised.

notify paypal and return for refund. Ensure you have delivery signed for.

Unfortunately I expect it wont be that simple, as someone who would try that kind of rip off will almost certainly try and get out of repaying you.

finbar
    Free Member

BMX steet fork made by S&M in the late nineties to compliment there normal “Pitch forks” but with ‘U’ brake mounts and 14mm dropouts meant for street abuse. Heavier than a neutron star.

Well played.

onandon
    Free Member

You get what’s in the pic unless they state you aren’t getting what’s in the pic.
    Good luck.

guglielmo
    Free Member

Seller is (was?) a seemingly decent, long standing STW member and active poster.

He has just said

“I have sold tens of thousands of pounds worth bikes on STW and eBay over 12 years of mountain biking without any problems or complaints.”

Someone so experienced should no doubt have also noticed and mentioned the many faults needing attention – leaking and knocking forks, a sheared disc bolt stuck in the hub, rocking cranks with worn out BB bearings to name just a few of the problems…

🙁

BigDummy
    Free Member

I seem to remember someone selling a shonky pair of brakes using a picture of the same model brakes but in as-new condition. We killed him, flayed him and displayed his skin on the city walls as a warning to others. This seems even more clear-cut.

wwaswas

“I have sold tens of thousands of pounds worth bikes on STW and eBay over 12 years of mountain biking without any problems or complaints.”

trader then?

You get what’s in the pic unless they state you aren’t getting what’s in the pic.

“some very slight marks on the stickers but you don;t see them when fitted to the bike”

Andy

Bike should be supplied as pictured unless otherwise stated. So if anything was going to be changed from the pictures the seller should have said so. If they didnt, then its either not been described correctly, or has not been supplied correctly.

Eitherway seller should sort it out, either with the correct parts, take the bike back, or recompense to your satisfaction.

Whether they have sold £1 worth or £10,000 worth of goods before is irrelevant

atlaz
    Free Member

What use is this without a link to the original thread or a name and shame? 1/10

franksinatra

Of course there are usually two sides to a story but based on your version it looks like you have every right to be angry.

Link to the FS ad so we can know where to point our pitchforks….

Stoner
    Free Member

that is not in itself a mark of a reputation. Posting on the bike or chat forum is a good start….. just sayin’

cloudnine
    Free Member

A link to the ad usually sorts these matters out.. The seller usually appears and gives his side of the story and takes the item back..

russyh
    Free Member

Just name and shame, the singletrack masses will soon come to a verdict. But be prepared for a certain amount of public flogging, if you are not being completely honest in your post.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Every day’s a school day!! :mrgreen:

Must get some to compliment the ditch finder wheels I appear to have

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

that is not in itself a mark of a reputation. Posting on the bike or chat forum is a good start….. just sayin’

plus-one

You’ve literally had your pants pulled down in public 😆

grtdkad

Name and shame

guglielmo
    Free Member

I don’t want a witch hunt, and want to give the seller the chance to do the right thing.

I suggested a reasonable partial refund, he agreed but offered to give less than half what I requested and was adamant that the pedals and saddle were never included.

He also suggested I wanted him to pay to make a used bike an immaculate bike but that’s simply not the case – I just want what was advertised in good used condition, working well.

Let’s be fair though he’s not running to Brazil with my money, he has offered to refund, but isn’t prepared to reimburse any postage costs.

I’m happy to return it, but his mistakes/parts omitting/swapping/lack of describing the true condition are the cause of the problem so he should pay the postage. No doubt.

I must admit I’m getting pretty frustrated. It all seems like just figures to him as he’s stated he can get x amount in parts rather than to put things right with me.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If it was me I’d return it for refund. Never mind the postage.

That could be put against a life lesson and you’ll know not to deal in future.

Andy

I’m happy to return it, but his mistakes/parts omitting/swapping/lack of describing the true condition are the cause of the problem so he should pay the postage. No doubt.

This

crankboy
    Free Member

sale by description isn’t it? the picture forms part of the description , if the bike doesn’t match the description the seller is in breach of the contract and is liable for your losses including return postage costs.

guglielmo
    Free Member

Exactly crankboy. Seems fair.

mrhoppy

Pedals I’m not completely decided on but the rest seems unreasonable. But life’s too short and I’d probably just return for a refund, postage is unlikely to be too bad.

guglielmo
    Free Member

“Pedals not included”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Have I been ripped off?’ is closed to new replies.