Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Have I been overly paranoid in walking away from the classified buy?
  • riddoch

It all looked good, something I have been half looking out for for a while but then my spidey spense started tingling.
    It was at least 20% cheaper than I’d seen listed before (aiming for a quick sale).
    I was by no means the first to respond but it was still for sale (could be a colour issue).
    The seller had only been registed for about a week only with posts in the classified section.
    Their paypal address was different from the one they were communicating from yet was also the same as user on here.
    Their emails were too full of yoof speak/txt language/sent from a blackberry.

So have I missed out on a bargin or avoided being scammed?

nickjb
    Free Member

The seller had only been registed for about a week only with posts in the classified section.

I would have walked away at that point

stoddys
    Free Member
    plyphon
    Free Member

I was by no means the first to respond but it was still for sale (could be a colour issue).

just because he’s black doesn’t mean its stolen

soobalias
    Free Member

classifieds only, registered for a week.
    differing email and paypal address

i was out at this point, but yoof txt at any point would have me bailling.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Their emails were too full of yoof speak/txt language

I’d have walked away at that point. People who abbreviate words by missing out 1 letter should be killed to death.

treklee
    Free Member

See threads like this don’t make it easy for me, I’ve had an ebay account for 5-6 years and have maybe ten feedback and have just created a PayPal account on Sunday. I’ve not had to sell anything yet, but currently looking at wheels. I don’t have many posts on here, and to most I’d imagine it would look dodgy.

timmys

I don’t have many posts on here, and to most I’d imagine it would look dodgy.

You’re capable of writing English. I’d say you’re well ahead of the game.

jam-bo

i bought a frame recently that I was a little unsure about, paypal with fees gives you some protection so I went for it.

worked out ok and I got a bargain. if I hadnt then paypal would have returned my money.

tonyd

I’d say you’re well ahead of the game.

Or he’s about to unleash a scamming campaign the likes of which STW has never seen before and is lulling you into a false sense of security.

treklee
    Free Member

I’d say you’re well ahead of the game.
    Or he’s about to unleash a scamming campaign the likes of which STW has never seen before and is lulling you into a false sense of security.

Yeah, or that.

nicko74

if I hadnt then paypal would have returned my money.

Yeeees…. In theory, but in practice it’s a pretty brutal process to have to go through, and by no means as assured as PP makes out

Stoner
    Free Member

treklee, Im afraid for many of us, it’s just easier to assume that you’re a ne’er-do-well and leave it to you to invest sufficient time and effort into your online history that it becomes a little more trustworthy.

I dont really have any sympathy for anyone who only posts in the classifieds or has a v low post count. It’s up to them to build up their STW relationship/footprint if they want to be more widely trusted. I dont have to be generous with my trust.

jam-bo

Yeeees…. In theory, but in practice it’s a pretty brutal process to have to go through, and by no means as assured as PP makes out

maybe, but it wasn’t a bank breaking amount of money so I took a punt.

firestarter
    Free Member

Kiled2def dave

franksinatra

Well I woz da seller innit. Your loss bruv, I can eezy sell the lady luvin toy to sumwun else, most ppl luv the pink colour. jst don’t disciminate me cuz I is new to da forum.

houndlegs
    Free Member

What’s the issue with a different PayPal account as opposed to the one you use here for communication. I have two different accounts, does this put people off?

honourablegeorge

houndlegs – Member
    What’s the issue with a different PayPal account as opposed to the one you use here for communication. I have two different accounts, does this put people off?

Was thinking same, have an account I use on here, and a different one for Paypal (that said, Paypal’s my real name and work account, so maybe it sounds more “official” or something)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Have I been overly paranoid in walking away from the classified buy?’ is closed to new replies.