Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Have I been a bit mean to my child?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Merchant-Banker

If my son was told not to take his ds to school, i can 100% guarantee he wouldn’t take it.

Yeah right.

mogrim

Seems perfectly reasonable, I’d keep quiet about it for a couple of days, really let her stew. Maybe drop the odd comment about how she doesn’t seem to be playing with it as often as she used to, that kind of thing.

thegreatape
    Free Member

She’ll get credit for being truthful, and if she lies to me she’ll be in much bigger trouble for that than for being a chancer this morning. I’m sure as parents we all see things differently, but in this house, honesty and contrition count for a lot after some naughtiness, often to the point where if they own up and apologise, and appear to mean it, there are no further consequences.

Cougar

in this house, honesty and contrition count for a lot

So you honestly went through her bag without telling her, honestly withheld information about what you’d done, and are now going to honestly set her up for entrapment?

Applaudable values and I’d be of the same mind, but it feels a bit hypocritical to be preaching honesty after you’d just deliberately misled her.

Junkyard
    Free Member

She’ll get credit for being truthful, and if she lies to me she’ll be in much bigger trouble for that than for being a chancer this morning. I’m sure as parents we all see things differently, but in this house, honesty and contrition count for a lot after some naughtiness, often to the point where if they own up and apologise, and appear to mean it, there are no further consequences.

THIS but cougar has apoint and you have been mena

She may learn you are a bit mean and a hypocrit and that she just has to better at tricking you than learn a proper lesson about honesty

I would have challenged her on the spot tbh
    I would not leave it days after having done what you have done
    It has some humour to it though but what if she ha sbeen crying al l day because of this and is terrified to admit this to you?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ll tell her exactly what I did, I just haven’t done so yet.

She’s just come home happy as Larry so I don’t think she’s been crying about it all day.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

couple of weeks ago, kids were with me in the supermarket (11 and 14)

I was doing the waiting, and the packing, that they were supposed to be doing… they were too busy looking at twighlight posters.

despite reminding them TWICE, I finished and paid, and went out to the car… cue about five minutes later seeing them come out the door, realise they didn’t know where the car was, then go back inside.

I found them with a member of staff, saying they were lost…

Of course, I’m the baddie, mums already been told that I was irresponsible and evil and nasty for scaring them like that 😈

lesson learned i reckon!

bwaarp
    Free Member

She’s trying to sweeten you up to get out of trouble. 😆

jeb

Zulu-eleven

you get my vote ! 😀

bwaarp
    Free Member
    DrP

Give it back to her, but with a cracked screen. That’ll learn her….

DrP

joao3v16
    Free Member

To the OP – good work

To Zulu – excellent work, I’d like to think I’d do the same just for a giggle but would probably bottle out

The best thing I have learnt since having kids is not to pay too much attention to parenting advice/opinions/guidance from anyone other than my own mum & dad …

wwaswas

not to pay too much attention to parenting advice/opinions/guidance from anyone other than my own mum & dad

although in an effort to avoid the errors you feel your parents made bringing you up you end up repeating the ones your grandparents made.

Cougar

Check this thread out:

Is there an English version anywhere?

TiRed

I just make mine produce their DS/iPod before leaving. That way it doesn’t go out of the house. The teenager is the deviant one. Failure to comply results in a week’s misplacement. Phones are allowed but must never be seen – or the school confiscates them.

It’s the school who make the rules – parents should respect them. Just don’t get me started on sunscreen application 👿

aracer
    Free Member

My son is only 5. Him this morning:
    “can I take my rucksack today”
    interpretation:
    “I want to sneak some toy cars into school”

If my son was told not to take his ds to school, i can 100% guarantee he wouldn’t take it.

Reason being im his dad, and he does what his dad says, no questions no debates.

Personally I reckon Merchant-Banker’s son is just better at not being detected than thegreatape’s daughter.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Reason being im his dad, and he does what his dad says, no questions no debates.

But I am sure you know that it won’t always be like that don’t you? One day he WILL do something to directly and deliberately disobey your orders and will revel in it.

beaker

I remember trying to sneak a small toy car into school wrapped in an apron. Mum found it went nuclear…. I never did it again though. Lessons have to be learned one way or another.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

SiB – Member
    Merchant Banker…….have you ever watched the Sound of Music? Do you strive to be like Mr von Trapp?

SiB – Captain please. Do you know how hard Christopher Plummer had to work for that title? 😉

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Go on then. How’d it play out?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I waited until her mum was home as well then just asked her if she’d put it in her bag to take to school. And sadly she stood there and lied to us. Which I think she now regrets.

Taff
    Free Member

Nah… Being mean is hiding the complete bag and denying all knowledge of its existence

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I waited until her mum was home as well then just asked her if she’d put it in her bag to take to school. And sadly she stood there and lied to us. Which I think she now regrets.

Why don’t they know that when a question like that gets asked, we already know the answer?

wwaswas

Why don’t they know that when a question like that gets asked, we already know the answer?

I’ve seen enough reality cop shows to know that a lot of adults will do much the same nine times out of ten.

I think with kids they often just have their own version of reality in their heads and they tell you the words that make that reality true.

Maybe she thought – “Well it wasn’t in my bag when I got to school so I can’t have put it in there can I?”

SonicTheHedgehog
    Free Member

With young kids of my own this is all quite amusing, however, we have yet to have heard the view of the girls mother who, without doubt will have contributed to the matter…….And will probably have the final say (from my own experierience) on the outcome!

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Have I been a bit mean to my child?’ is closed to new replies.