Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Have i an undersize hula hoop shock eyelet bush?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Installed a heavy duty bush kit from betd, noticing that during use the shock eyelet bush is shifting from side to side in the shock eyelet.

Disassembled things to inspect, reassembled and noticed i can install the shock eyelet bush by hand, it should be a press fit right? It shouldnt rotate or move once installed, corrwct.

Note – i am on about the shock eyelet bush, not the hardware/spacers/bolts/ers

singlespeedstu

Yep eyelet bush should be a nice tight fit in the shock.

Should need a vice or a bush tool to push it in.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Undersized DU or ovalised eyelet..

orangeboy
    Free Member

Not had one that slack fitting , not all shocks use the same size bush
    So you could have the wrong one.
    Or it’s doom and gloom for the shock

Rorschach
    Free Member

deanfbm
    Free Member

By any chance, could the kashima coating make things just too slippery?

The BETD polymer bush i had in there was a little under size, tried it in another shock eyelet, went in by hand. Hopefully, this confirmed the bush being undersize rather than an oversize eyelet.

I then fitted a TFTuned polymer bush/kit, this time needed a vice to get the bush all the way in. However, again during use, the eyelet is shifting to one side slightly on the bush. This says to me there is some rotation of the eyelet on the bush and/or my frame alignment is seriously out.

The new fox hardware looks like this –

The bushes are meant to be able to be pressed in by hand, this says to me, with the kashima coat, the eyelet is free to rotate on the bush as well as the traditional pin/reducers rotating in the bush.

The polymer bushes are top hats, maybe to the eyelet shifting from side to side on the bush. Maybe they looked at the normal heavy duty hardware layout and encountered the same issues im encountering.

This all making sense or am i making stuff up?

oldnick

Drop of threadlock? You really don’t want the bush moving in/wearing the eyelet.

extremo
    Free Member

on rare occasions we have found that fox eyelets can be .02mm oversized, this could be your issue

LoCo
    Free Member

Eyelet maybe ovalized/out of tolerance, or bush kit it out a bit, try a heavy duty steel pin and a fox DU bush (orange internal surface) Have found the new fox low friction bushes to be loose on a few shocks recently.

RustyMac

The only other thin i can think it could be that has been touched on above is that you get 2 common size of bush, 12mm which are from memory for RockShox and Manitou shocks and then 12.7mm (half an inch) for Fox etc. Are you sure you are using the correct bush for the shock?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

+1 as per Rusty Mac

What shock you running?

LoCo
    Free Member

A 12mm one would just fall out of the eyelet though, just checked in a ‘tight’ fox eyelet, it was like a wizards sleeve 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Clown’s pocket surely?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Have i an undersize hula hoop shock eyelet bush?’ is closed to new replies.