Viewing 21 posts - 161 through 181 (of 181 total)
  • Have folks realised fat bikes are shit yet ?
  • epicyclo

taxi25 – Member
    Great pics epicycle !! Fantastic that you’ve found a bike that suits you and your riding. But honestly what are you, in the 1% of mtb’ers Scotland ?

Fixed it. 🙂

If you live in a place where you have unrestricted rights to the countryside, there’s only one sort of bike that does the job all year round. For a dry summer and shoulder months a plus bike is good enough (which has been most of this year).

But if you are to have but one bike, then it’s got to be fat* or you’re restricted to hardened trails.

*Add a plus size wheelset for the easy seasons.

summittoppler
    Free Member

Well if I didn’t ride a fat bike I wouldn’t have been able to enjoy a week riding in the Outer Hebrides last week.

Outer Hebrides Fat Bike Tour by Jeff Price

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

and Summittoppler knocks the ball right outta the park 😀 Top man, Fatties rule!

Creg

Well if I didn’t ride a fat bike I wouldn’t have been able to enjoy a week riding in the Outer Hebrides last week.

https://fat-bike.com/2016/06/outer-hebrides-fat-bike-tour-by-jeff-price/

Wow, would love to give something like that a go.

epicyclo

summittoppler – Member

A great read. Must do it.

Daffy

Sounds like you had a great time because of where you were and the fact you were on a bike. The fatty seems rather irrelevant save for the beach maybe, but I’ve towed over 70lbs of trailer using a 26er on 2.4s across a flour sand beach…not easy and I didn’t dare stop, but doable for a few miles.

summittoppler
    Free Member

Cheers guys, it was pretty special 🙂

plus-one

Folks posting(mainly riding alone) backs up my theory 🙄

Buy something really odd all your mates rip the piss relentlessly !! Realise after riding you’ve made a huge error but your loathe to admit it so ride solo taking pics to prove your actually riding it ..

Then it slowly gets brought out less and less till its binned 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

You know, some of us don’t buy bikes cos they are fashionable and we also don’t worry about what our mates think. MTBing is different for different people you know. This isn’t golf, or triathlon.

roverpig

Buy something really odd all your mates rip the piss relentlessly !! Realise after riding you’ve made a huge error but your loathe to admit it so ride solo taking pics to prove your actually riding it ..

Kind of true I guess 🙂 I mostly ride on my own, because that’s what I prefer, but that does mean I have the freedom to ride a stupid bike if I feel like it. I wouldn’t take it on any of the (rare) group rides that I do. Not because I care about the piss taking, but because it has different strengths and weaknesses, so doesn’t suit being in a group with lots of “normal” bikes.

epicyclo also makes a good point. Personally, I wouldn’t bother with a fatbike if my only (legal) riding options were trail centres and bridleways. It is the fact that I have the right to ride my bike (responsibly) anywhere I like coupled with the large expanses of untracked heather and peat moorland (which has snow on it for a few months most years) that makes a fatbike look like a viable option.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Buy something really odd all your mates rip the piss relentlessly !!

One of mine rode into a ditch he was laughing so much. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with a fatbike if my only (legal) riding options were trail centres and bridleways

Well, a lot of bridleways in Wales are essentially non-existent anyway so the effect is the same.

steve_b77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I wouldn’t bother with a fatbike if my only (legal) riding options were trail centres and bridleways
    Well, a lot of bridleways in Wales are essentially non-existent anyway so the effect is the same

Having attempted to find the one that goes from the Old Aberystwyth Mountain road to Elan Reservoir in Rhayader I can wholeheartidly agree

roverpig

Fair enough, fatbikes all round then 🙂

dday

This is the same conversation we were having 5 years ago. Just replace the word Fatbike with 29’er. Or 3 years ago with ‘650b / 27.5’

rOcKeTdOg

see, no fun whatsoever here, shit basically

singlespeedstu

Having attempted to find the one that goes from the Old Aberystwyth Mountain road to Elan Reservoir in Rhayader I can wholeheartidly agree

Ahh The Monks Trod. 😀
    Looks back with misty eyes.15 minutes end to end on a YZ125 and a whole load more fun than a fatbike. 😉

phutphutend

I like riding my skinny tyred bike over rocks and roots. Sketchy as hell but keeps the skills sharp and a good dose of adrenaline.

molgrips
    Free Member

Go outdoors have them for £500…

nedrapier

I like riding my skinny tyred bike over rocks and roots. Sketchy as hell but keeps the skills sharp and a good dose of adrenaline.

yup, cx bikes are fun too! 😀

zippykona

As promised earlier., I’ve done Strava on a climb on my way home.
    26er hardtail with 1.3 cross tyres at 60 psi ….2.20.
    Spearfish 29 full sus 2.23
    Fatty 2.21 and I had to slow for a dog walker.
    KOM is 2.10 and in his picture he has race numbers on his bike so he is obviously a bit keen.
    So it goes without saying, my 26er piece of shit shopping bike is the best.

Viewing 21 posts - 161 through 181 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘Have folks realised fat bikes are shit yet ?’ is closed to new replies.