Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Have computers just got too complicated?!
  • Joe

I can’t think of a single period of time in the last 24 months where all the plugins, all the software and all the hardware I use to edit video have worked properly. There’s always some kind of glitch, error, **** around or work around necessary. The advent of web downloads of apps I think has been critical to all this. I never own any cd/dvd’s anymore with my software on them.

Maybe i’m looking at things with rose tinted goggles.

Decided this morning to sack the day off work, format and reinstall whole system from the bottom up…but oh…already hit first barrier…Apple app store doesn’t fancy working today.

Trimix
    Free Member

yup.

_tom_
    Free Member

Should’ve got a Windows pc 😛

I agree though, technology is a pain in the arse when it stops working for no apparent reason.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Think things just work now a lot more often than they use to (e.g. back in the day of peripheral cards, serial ports, setting IRQs, etc.) Though at least back in those days you could generally get some diagnostic capabilities when things didn’t work and then more configurability to be able to fix it, now you often get nothing.

Joe

I was trying to export something last night for a client…and I just felt like every single stage of the workflow was full or problems, niggles and errors.

br
    Free Member

What would you prefer, only able to buy 100% verified hardware/software – ie locked in?

And not sure how old you are, but compared to when we were struggling to get the memory for apps and having to move ‘tasks’ into higher RAM and never been able to be sure anything would work first time, plus running apps on/off floppy 5.25 disks – I’m quite happy.

Joe

Yes maybe. If it all just “worked” like it was meant to.

grum
    Free Member

What software are you using? The Adobe Creative Suite seems very stable on the two Macs I use.

simon_g

I find the opposite. Computers have never been so stable, or reinstalling regularly to keep them going so unnecessary. That goes for OSX as well as Windows.

nickjb
    Free Member

Talking to printers, webcams and other computers is way easier than it used to be. Software I use, 3D CAD and CS, is much better, more powerful and more stable.

The only thing I can think of that is worse is due over complication is word processing. Move one bit of text and the whole document reshuffles itself. Oh, and google searches, if I search for a word then that is the word I’m looking for not some other word with similar letters or pages that don’t have that word on them.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve said it before. Computers have become victims of their own success. The people making the software and hardware have done a great job of making it all simple enough for normal people to put it together and use, for the most part, quite successfully. The problems this causes longer term is highlighted in threads like this and the PC vs MAC threads where people complain about Blue screens and unstable computers.

Because at the end of the day, most of the people setting their computers up aren’t experts. they muddle along and follow some internet advice and then it works for a bit. If your video recorder broke, you wouldn’t even dream of fixing it yourself, you’d get an expert in. For most people, a car breakdown means getting a mechanic in, likewise your boiler, cooker and hoover.

If your computer breaks though you can just fix it yourself. And then it’ll work for a bit and then bluescreen because you’re not an expert and you make mistakes.

Fix your own boiler, see how long it just works for. Or get someone in who knows what they’re doing and it’ll just work.

(This isn’t an attack on the OP, just a general observation about computer complaints)

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IPsi6DGkrIA[/video]

Same way as I fix bikes 😡

seosamh77
    Free Member

99 times of 100 the “glitch” is usually the user.

xiphon
    Free Member

PEBCAK error, for sure.

5thElefant
    Free Member

As long as you’re not constantly installing dodgy software it all works amazingly well.

Software development is another matter though. It all used to be very straightforward. A one man band could do it. Now it’s multi-technology, multi-skill and horrendously complex.

jameso

People I know laugh at my levels of technology-avoidance, but I remember when I could program a PC as easily as I could fix my bike. But I’m now a much better bike mechanic and PCs are more complex. I stuck with one out of choice, the other is a necessity of life best kept to a minimum.

Editing films of my riding is not just time that could be spent riding, it’d be a pretty dull result too )

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Have computers just got too complicated?!’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts