Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Have brakes improved hugely in the last few years?
  • AntLockyer
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden many mountain bikes other than my own. The last one was my mate’s Orange 5 and the brakes had so much lever travel I thought I was going to die.

I’ve got Hayes Nine’s which like my forks are on their third bike and they seem fine to me. Just wondering if things have moved on significantly and if I’d have to spend a bundle to better them.

Ta

chilled76
    Free Member

No, but in the few years before that yes.

Hayes nines are reliable old clunky brakes, modern kit (even the budget brakes) are a lot more refined than nines.

tinybits
    Free Member

They have become more powerful (certainly the new xt ones are incredible) but after locking up at 30mph, front and rear, I’m not too sure how much more power you’d want!

somouk
    Free Member

I think Shimano have come on a lot but can’t comment on other brands.

The latest XTs as said above are amazing.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I was always a big fan of Hayes brakes. The various sets I’ve had have all been fab…really powerful, a tad unsubtle and reliable.

My new XT’s are great but I’m jot sure that they’re a huge step up from the Stroker Aces that they replaced, which in turn never felt much more powerful that the Nines I had (although I did always run silly big rotors).

I do think the other brands have got more powerful. My XT’s are certainly more powerful than the original Saints that I had.

glenh
    Free Member

Personally I hate hayes brakes as they have very little lever travel and no modulation.

Each to their own eh 😉

bigjim

the difference between my old Oro K24’s from 2008 and 2012 XT’s is astounding.

rewski
    Free Member

Formula r1s are very very good, a racer friend uses Magura mt8s, very light and powerful, read they’ve had a few issues and been recalled, or did I make that up.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Hayes 9s I had were reliable and then the calipers started to rot – paint flaked off and then seals went. Meanwhile my old Shimano 525 have gone on for years….

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Another one that likes lots of lever free travel. I want the levers to pull up pretty close to the bars before the brakes are really working, my brake finger is both more sensitive and stronger well wrapped round the lever. However I want them well out the way when I’m not using them.
    Personal preference. I wouldn’t run brakes that can’t be set up that way.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m odd. I like a firm lever that bites if I even sneeze near it. 🙂

Some brakes have certainly improved but I’d put any of the new stuff up against my 4 year old Magura Louise Carbons. I simply cannot fault them. 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

I like brakes that bite hard too and run them close to the bars and in board as far as possible for one finger braking. The Hayes blades are always mega long so I end up with the brakes well down the bars. I think it was the harshness of the Hayes bite that I likes, especially compared to the M4 of he same era. My current XT’s bite pretty hard.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Have brakes improved hugely in the last few years?’ is closed to new replies.