• This topic has 163 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 164 total)
  • Have any small town centres thrived when an out of town supermarket arrives?
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

Different situation to out of town… but Gosforth High St in Newcastle has seen a renaissance since Sainsbury’s moved in. Contrary to the situation often touted, a green grocers and butchers have opened.

CaptJon
    Free Member

stupid 40th post thingy bug

rootes1

Tesco
    Hitler
    Ernst Blofeld
    TJ
    Thatcher
    Waitrose
    Asda
    Morrisons

Asda and Morrisons need to be higher up… Asda for all the bloody buggies and prams and velour trackpants and Morrisons as they are not as cheap as some make out

user-removed
    Free Member

The residents of the Isle of Skye are desperate for Tescos / Sainsburys / Walmart to set up shop. The only supermarket in the whole place is an overpriced Co-op in Portree, who spend their whole time running out of stock.

The town centre is very busy with lots of independent shops despite the Co-op but this is mainly down to the tourists I suspect…

andywill – Member
    The town has a good feel to it, but It does not have a tourist trade to buffer the local trades people against a large supermarket as competition.

andywill

“Supermarkets have no concern for the local community, there only concern is to make a profit”

(I’d level that claim at the majority of small shops too)

I don’t think so, most small traders live locally, so are by definition part of the community, so I would hope they have an interest in it. They obviously need to make a profit, but that stays locally too.

andywill

“Different situation to out of town… but Gosforth High St in Newcastle has seen a renaissance since Sainsbury’s moved in. Contrary to the situation often touted, a green grocers and butchers have opened.”

I don’t think there would be much opposition to an in town supermarket.

nbt

Different situation to out of town… but Gosforth High St in Newcastle has seen a renaissance since Sainsbury’s moved in. Contrary to the situation often touted, a green grocers and butchers have opened.

I can see this if the supermarket is actually *on* the high street. It’s when it’s a short way out of town that the problems tend to cro pup

Any one on from Poynton? Waitrose opened on the high street just over 12 months ago so that’d be an good case studdy

jota180
    Free Member

Small towns and villages are often far too expensive for the local kids to stay in and raise families etc. and are now just a haven for the commuting middle classes
    If supermarkets can lower the living costs a bit, why not?

andywill

“If supermarkets can lower the living costs a bit, why not?”

Do Tesco have a national pricing policy or a local one? I think the reality would be they would price as high as they can, there would be no other supermarket within 10 mls.

maccruiskeen

I don’t think so, most small traders live locally, so are by definition part of the community, so I would hope they have an interest in it

Its the localism thats important. No matter how selfish the intentions of your local shopkeeper he’s bound to sources some quantity goods/supplies/personal locally either for his business or through his profits. So in that Wealth of Nations / Adam Smith sense he can’t help but a contributor to the local economy. With supermarkets all the profit and well paid jobs are out of town so a big chunk of the money spent locally leaves town. Staff costs locally will only be a small part of their turnover so only a fraction comes back into the locale. Similarly business on the high st are big contributors to the local tax take, one empty shop not paying business rates is probably a loss of a whole street’s worth of council tax.

jota180
    Free Member

Do Tesco have a national pricing policy or a local one?

They have a national pricing policy although the Extra and Metro stores are priced differently

maccruiskeen

“If supermarkets can lower the living costs a bit, why not?”

lower than what though – once theres no competition do you thing supermarket prices will remain so cheap. Selling goods at less than cost is not some act of charity its wanton destruction. The end game is the ability to charge as much as you like, not as little as you can.

Drac

Yes.

Our town has improved since they built a supermarket on the out skirts. The chamber of trade was full of horror stories about how bad it would be, what it’s done is keep local in the town as not they have more choice and because of it location it pulls in tourists passing the town who then go on into the town to shop.

They did an independent study on the effect 2 years after it opened as another town down the road, some of which has shops owned by the same people, claimed it would effect business like it did here. The study showed the guy who claimed all this with shops in both towns sales had gone up considerably since the opening.

hora
    Free Member

They are building a big Tesco’s near us. TBH its been wasteland for years and years so I don’t see too much of an issue. They probably backhanded the council anyway.

jota180
    Free Member

lower than what though – once theres no competition do you thing supermarket prices will remain so cheap

Are you talking each town or when they’ve conquered the world?

You obviously need to convince those that live where there aren’t any supermarkets that you know what’s best for them
    From where I sit, the supermarkets have done more good than bad

Bunnyhop

The opening of a large Tesco in Glossop, Derbyshire has seen the rise in empty High street shops.
    The only shops surviving are a bit of a walk.

Our own town is in a battle now to save the thriving local shops from the threat of a mega out of town store a mile from the village centre.
    There are plans however to open a Waitrose in the village centre, which we’re hoping may bring customers in, as parking is difficult and they’ll have to walk anyway.

jota180
    Free Member

Our own town is in a battle now to save the thriving local shops from the threat of a mega out of town store a mile from the village centre.

The town? Are you really? or is it just a group of people?

Because all the ‘town’ would have to do is not use it, why do you need a battle?

hora
    Free Member

I’d have loved a Sainsburys or Morrisons to open. Tesco’s has awful fresh foods!

Bunnyhop

jota – People will travel from ‘out of town’ to get to the new store and not bothering travelling the extra mile to visit the local shops, which are really sell, good quality local produce.

I really dislike food from the supermarket, with quality you don’t need to spend as much.
    Oh and I like the fact the butcher, baker and greengrocer know my name and can advise me on recipes and local gossip 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

jota – People will travel from ‘out of town’ to get to the new store and not bothering travelling the extra mile to visit the local shops, which are really sell, good quality local produce.

A local town for local people hey 😉

say no more 🙂

jam-bo

stopped in Cullompton the other day – new tescos is in walking distance to highstreet… high street was desolate, tescos packed

fixed

rootes1

Yes.

Our town has improved since they built a supermarket on the out skirts. The chamber of trade was full of horror stories about how bad it would be, what it’s done is keep local in the town as not they have more choice and because of it location it pulls in tourists passing the town who then go on into the town to shop.

What town?

hora
    Free Member

Huddersfield Town centre. I’m amazed that M&S is still in the centre.

jfletch
    Free Member

Do not underestimate the power of free parking.

All small towns/villages with a supermarket planning to open up nearby should make it a condition of the planning permission that the supermarket chain fund a free and plentiful parking scheme in the town/village.

Sure people will go to Tesco to get the groceries, its considerably cheaper and more efficient to do so but that business is already lost if there is a supermarket within 20 mins drive already.

The free parking ensures it remains more convenient for local people to nip into town for all of the small things outside of the weekly big shop. Prescriptions form the Pharmacy, bread from the Baker, fruit and veg from the Green Grocer, meat from the Butcher, coffee from the cafe, cards from the card shop… People will continue to drop into town for all these things that can be bought at the supermarket as long as its convenient and free to park, just like it is at Tesco.

Drac

What town?

The town I live in.

binners

Proof you can have both a Tesco and a thriving, vibrant local shopping centre

Here it is looking particularly thriving and vibrant last summer

ransos
    Free Member

Yep, the town centre just changes usage.

That’s true. The high street near me is now mainly the preserve of William Hill, Poundland, Cash converters and several charity shops.

Stoner
    Free Member

If you really don’t want the development to go ahead then I can do you a great deal renting half a dozen slow worms, a brace of great crested newts and a kilo of pippestrelle bats.

You break it, you bought it though, and I only deal badgers for pros.

rootes1

What town?
    The town I live in.

Which is? just interested.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

They are building a big Tesco’s near us. TBH its been wasteland for years and years so I don’t see too much of an issue. They probably backhanded the council anyway.

Huddersfield Town centre. I’m amazed that M&S is still in the centre.

If you’re talking about Huddersfields new Tesco then that ‘wasteland’ is the Sports Centre.

Previous plans were to build it on Springwood which is now a wasteland but, up til 2 years ago, was the day centre for adults with learning disabilities.

From what I can see the plan is:

Knock down the sports centre and flats

Build New Tesco on that site

Close current Tesco

At some unspecified future time the anew sports centre to be built on the Springwood site and a hotel on the current Tesco site

Canny buggers them Tesco folk, on Brighouse and now in Huddersfield they’ve managed to position themselves so you have to drive by Tesco to get to Sainsbury’s on most of the routes in.

IIRC in Brighouse Tesco made quite a few promises which they’ve now gone back on.

Kirklees council didn’t want to approve the planning permission for Huddersfield but reluctantly agreed as they felt they could not afford the legal challenges planned by Tesco.

cinnamon_girl

Well of course the planning permission is all tied in with subsidies for road building etc. Whilst you have self-serving politicians lining their pockets, things will never change.

I do however feel that Mary Portas was doing good work. A farm shop that I use recently had the Fabulous Baker Boys putting on a demonstration and signing their book. Good marketing that was.

On the other hand, some town centres are just dumps with shops needing a coat of paint and an air of despair about them.

Drac

Which is? just interested.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq6Fh6-NMAk[/video]

rootes1

Alnwick.

Oh.

Bunnyhop

Devious these supermarkets.
    Our local co-op refurbished the entire store. One aisle was then dedicated to wrapping paper and celebration cards. The card shop next door ended up closing down as they couldn’t compete and it’s now yet another charity shop. 3 years ago there were 3 charity shops, now there are 5.
    The same Co-op owned a building, which the council told them could no longer stay empty, so they’ve made it into a ‘Costa coffee’, giving out every household in our area a free coffee voucher. During their first week of trade, almost every local cafe (all independently run, selling home made goods) was empty.

AndyP
    Free Member

During their first week of trade,
    what about the rest of the time?

hora
    Free Member

Oh yes those naughty Supermarkets – they cause the blight of town centres.

Jesus wept.

Ever driven into a town or city centre and fed CHANGE into a meter. I don’t mean pop a couple of coins in. Around our way for upto 1.5hours its £4.70. For 1.5hrs (again max allowed) in Huddersfield its £2.70.

Then whilst you are rushing around your pre-planned shopping route you have to visit shops with high rates and various other taxes that the small business has to comply with.

All charged by your local, friendly county Council.

BOTH my favourite indie coffee shops shut not due to lack of business but due to the costs they had to pay just to be there. One owner told me just before he shut for good that his landlord had a number in the same position and he’d already dropped his rent to keep someone in there.

How do you think public sector pensions and numerous grandiose scheme’s are paid for?

AndyP
    Free Member

How do you think public sector pensions and numerous grandiose scheme’s are paid for
    Isn’t that ‘from TJ’s salary’?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They probably backhanded the council anyway.

Are we talking financially or physically?

jota180
    Free Member

Most of the opposition to a previously supermarket free town having one is usually just a couple of hundred people who attend all the meetings and think they speak for the whole town and know what’s best for them.

If I want to eat value beans on toast, I will and I’ll buy them from where the hell I want.
    If you want to save the local shops, get on with it, I won’t in anyway try to stop you and in the meantime could you please desist in telling me I don’t want a Tesco or in anyway speaking on my behalf?

hora
    Free Member

Are we talking financially or physically?

The local private members cricket ground apparently received 30million from a council to supermarket land deal…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘Have any small town centres thrived when an out of town supermarket arrives?’ is closed to new replies.