Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Have £150 in chainreaction vouchers which cranks?
  • Amos
    Free Member

As title need cranks for a 1×10 setup, but not sure which to go for slx or the the xt or what else? It’s Christmas and I’m pissed so can’t decide help please
    Merry Christmas all

mboy
    Free Member

There’s naff all difference between SLX and XT in terms of weight in the crank arms, maybe 20 grammes. There’s a small amount of difference again in the weight of the rings on them, but you’ll be selling those on anyway.

If I were you, buy SLX, sell the rings on here in the classifieds, buy a decent single ring like a Renthal, and you’ll still have change from your £150 for a few more drinks tomorrow! 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

What he said.

New XT looks good though, am seriously considering a double chainset.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

XT will look better on the trail center car park.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Just don’t buy anything Race Face.

skywalker
    Free Member

XT

Northwind

SLX

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I don’t think it is good advice to sell the Shimano rings. Especially not that genius composite middle one that comes with SLX and XT.

The so-called composite (steel middle ring mounted on light weight carrier) literally lasts forever. Well, many, many more times than an aluminium middle ring for much the same weight… chain and cassette lasts longer as a result..

I’m happy to use Blackspire, FSA inners and outers, especially if they are pretty, but if you are a big user of the 32 ring, make much more sens for that ring to be steel.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The middle ring is ace, but it’s 32T only. 36T SLX rings are alloy.

You can either spend £30+ on coated Middleburn jobs, or Deore steel rings, which last longer and are fractionally heavier.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I’d go for a set of RF Deus XC, far better finish than the Shimano cranks

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I agree, I’d go Deore steel or similar for the middle ring, rather than aluminium, because I still think in the long term the steel of the most frequently used ring will help extend chain and cassette life. I can see the point in dropping weight off the large ring and small ring, by choosing aluminium.

chakaping
    Free Member

Truvativ descendant is quite nice. Got it on my dh bike.

slx is good but is there a new version out soon?

Doug
    Free Member

RaceFace Deus SS and a Middleburn chainring in whatever size suits your riding style. 10sp chains work fine on 9sp rings.

skywalker
    Free Member

Personally I’d go for a set of RF Deus XC, far better finish than the Shimano cranks

Your joking right?

nasher
    Free Member

I am in exactly the same position… £100 in vouchers

Was thinking of the RF deus singlespeed chainset 34 tooth with ring, bash and BB….not bad I reckon for £120

Will change the BB for a hope unit once its buggered

Northwind

nasher – Member

Will change the BB for a hope unit once its buggered

Fair enough, if you’re buying Raceface cranks it’s a good idea to plan what to do when the BB turns out to be pish.

takisawa2

Deore. Seriously. Had some for over a year running ss & 1×10. They are fractionly heavier than SLX/XT. Just park towards the back at the trail centre. 🙂

honourablegeorge

RaceFace Turbine crankarms are just about 150 I think

roblane65
    Free Member

‘they’ve got the RF dues sl’s on sale with 50% off you’ll have to put a bit more to your £150 though but well worth it Ti axle and almost as light as xtr and the’re numbered as limited edition.Take a look,I;ve got a set I run 1 x 10 and really rate them,come with a top notch BB as well.

skywalker
    Free Member

Race Face chainsets suck balls, go for the XT.

PJM1974
    Free Member

😯

My Evolve cranks killed 3 BBs and the spline interface in under 18 months. I’ve a set of SLX cranks approaching their second birthday that look absolutely box fresh.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Have £150 in chainreaction vouchers which cranks?’ is closed to new replies.