Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • hats off to RAPHA for Hell of the North
  • qwerty
    Free Member

a fantastic sunny day, a great "waymarked" 100km (we has an OS map with the route highlighted onto it) route, a beer and chips at the end AND ALL FOR FREE!!!

spoke to them at the end and they're hoping to make it an annual event

(i managed to ride it all on my 64" SS CX bike 😉 )

WELL DONE RAPHA!

😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Qwerty I must confess I wizzed past you whilst you were sat down, but we were trying to catch up with our little group.
    Any way I was going to say the same. Thank you Rapha it was great.
    And the quality of the riders and riding was very good. Special hats off to the fixies, I can't stand the whole fixie thing but you earnt my respect today. And it was without a doubt the friendliest group I've ever ridden with.

I wonder what % of road and cross bikes were outthere as I only saw two MTBs.

I do have a Muppet award and it sadly goes to the first MTBer I saw. OK I know you were taking advantage of your bike of the first off road sector. But when youre riding with a hundred or so riders youve never met before, don't go and be Mr billy big b***ocks shouting rider coming through. It wasn't a race and you died a thousand deaths one hundred metres further on, only to be passed by everyone you had just overtook and was never seen again.
    Tip young man, show some respect.

qwerty
    Free Member

OG – yea – i joined the ride from there. I did chuckle cos the first wave of about 50 riders powered up Oak Avenue, stopped for a brief second and then steamed off to the left down The Ridgeway – they were supposed to turn RIGHT 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

Tell you what, if that was still wet and muddy it would have been a very diferent event.

CTML
    Free Member

Pretty annoyed i missed this! How did peoples bikes hold out? Any funny carbon failures?

plop_pants
    Free Member

How do people like rapha organise such a great event for now't and others charge £25 for the privilege? (Like wot they did for a sportive in Kent today)

plop_pants
    Free Member

beg there pardon, it was £20, but even so.

oldgit
    Free Member

Lots of carbon loveliness and no issues, road bikes are tough old things.

Oh and smacked bums for that huge group that didn't do the loop over the footbridge to miss out sectors 1, 2 and 3 and overtook us to get to the finish/pub first. Shame on you.

singletracksurfer

how do they do it for free!!

seen the prices of their stuff?

not signed either. thats how. good job still tho. hats off.

oldgit
    Free Member

What's not signed singletracksurfer?

aP
    Free Member

One reason Is probably because it's run as an advertising event rather than as a regular event.
    We ended up heading home after about 1/3rd of the route as L wasn't feeling so good, still ended up doing 70 miles today.

oldgit
    Free Member

Sorry I didn't stay with you ap. Is L alright? Out of the little group that left Highgate only three of us stuck together the whole way.

oldgit
    Free Member

Some good Flickr piccys up on the Rapha blog.

BigJohn

My daughters boyfriend is Joe from Rapha who had a lot to do with organising the event.

Last week I took him over Cannock Chase – it was the first time he'd ridden a mountain bike, and I borrowed a Scott Genius for him. I started on the easy stuff and then went progressively more technical, finishing off with that rooty eroded sandy bit at the end of the Stinger (down to Stepping Stones) and then up to the Luge. Like a typical roadie he didn't miss a beat, and stayed about 6" off my back wheel all the way round. I hate him now.

FuzzyWuzzy

Rapha in 'good value' shocker…

BigJohn

…and shouldn't it be "stylish merino hats off…"?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘hats off to RAPHA for Hell of the North’ is closed to new replies.