Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Hats off to loverly Ladies and Gents riding Bristol Bikefest!
  • flatfish
    Free Member

should you not be disqualified for being on a stolen bike ant?

send our quick mending thoughts to tess next time your in touch with her.

MrAgreeable

Flatfish, very disappointed that no-one attempted to do a citizen’s arrest on me. 🙂 I’ll pass on your best wishes to Tess.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Well done MrA & Celia a fine result.

ransos
    Free Member

The reason the course appeared to dry out fairly quickly is that all the mud from the early laps is attached to my bike. If the managers of Ashton Court estate would like it back, do please get in touch…

pjt201
    Free Member

Ant, i can confirm that the bristol trails group will have a lot of work on their hands! the lower quarry trail especially didn’t hold up very well.

zaskar
    Free Member

😡

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, after doing so many events in the last couple of years that have turned into unrideable clag-fests, by 9am on Saturday I was mentally writing a post for this morning along the lines of “That’s my last event EVER!! GRRRRR!!!” but no…
    I have to say I was nothing short of amazed. Now I know those trails pretty well anyway, but after the rain stopped I slithered round my first lap (Mrs PP did our opening lap, and told me she liked the course!) and had a right giggle. Then as the course dried it got faster and faster and it suckered me in to riding harder and harder…. So I went slower on the climbs and faster on the descents, and my lap times stayed pretty much the same until my last lap (No. 7)
    Yeah, the start was a shambles, but in a good way, the weather was cold and wet, but what a really great event, on a course that can handle the rain (Mayhem organisers please note this. Until your course improves drastically I’m not coming back)

Special thanks to the BTG for sorting said course. It hammered me to death and my arms and shoulders are still sore, but that’s the way it’s done, chaps. A pleasure to ride, IMO
    😀

And I finally met the infamous Peter Poddy, who had the best bell in the world!

It is rather splendid, isn’t it?
    😉

pjt201
    Free Member

Sunday didn’t dry quite so well as Saturday from the reports then – the lower quarry trail turned into a right clagfest (not as bad as mayhem though i think). I did have to stop to clear out my forks a few times. Think it’s probably my fault for running a 2.35 blue groove up front which have about 5mm clearance from the brace of my rebas… The home made beef curtain certainly didn’t help with that either.

Clink

I ran rigid which avoided any mud/fork probs. I loved the course – still buzzing now 🙂

MrAgreeable

i can confirm that the bristol trails group will have a lot of work on their hands!

I’ll have to suss out the damage this week and come up with a plan of action. I know that Ashton Court still owe us a few metres of trail repairs, and it would also be good to organise a really big trail day like we did in 50 Acre Wood earlier this year.

If anyone likes the idea of sorting the trail out and wants to be kept updated, sign up as a member at http://www.bristoltrailsgroup.com/forum/ to be included in our mail shots.

Trimix
    Free Member

Good bits:
    I was amazed that the course worked well and stood up to the rain.
    Polite overtaking.
    Challanging but enjoyable course.
    Bad bits:
    The start was a shambles. It would be very simple to organise it better with a slightly longer run, thereby avoiding the bottlenecks and having the start near the start area.
    Also the transition area was a joke – quite dangerous with the public walking across it and riders trying to stop / start. With a few bits of fence you could have a good transition area like the Malverns. Not hard to sort that bit out.
    It was also a shame that the course didnt run through the campsite – that would have provided a good lift of spirits and more spectating opportunities.

But having said all that Id do it again – it would be even more fun in the sun. The s4ite weather sort of dampend our spirits a bit.

dmc
    Free Member

First race back in a couple of years thoroughly enjoyed myself fun course lots of friendly banter quite lucky with the weather saturday could have been a lot worse. No event is perfect !!!! but will definately be back 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

I always felt start could be sorted by having the run to the bikes but then lead the pack in a rolling start down the road to the bottom of the deer park and then release the riders as they begin the big climb and complete the second half of the lap.

Ok, it effectively adds half a lap to the initial lap time but it’s the same for everyone and it would quite probably eliminate all of the queuing.

Not that I finished due to injury but it was quite depressing queuing for the bridge for 15 minutes watching other solo riders already coming up to go through the bomb whole.

MrAgreeable

What happened Gary, are you OK? I saw you taking photos later on so I guess you can’t have spannered yourself too badly. 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

I went hammer and tongs at Afan the weekend before (Penhydd, Wall, Whites and July) with our other Solo rider (who finished 14th, not bad for debut!) and noticed a knee niggle tuesday when I got on the commuter – it never really went away all week and forced me out on the fifth lap, not that it was going well, as I was having horrible drivetrain issues in the first few laps and a double puncture and faulty tube forced me to walk back, abandon and restart lap four…

A farce, was my 12 hour solo debut. I’ll be back though! The one clean lap I had was a very chilled and comfortable 42mins so I was feeling pretty optimistic and settled before lap four and five ruined things…

Antony, got a wicked photo of you btw… will process them all in the week.

GeForceJunky

Stupid question, but where are the results? I can’t find them on the website!

MrAgreeable

Gary, sorry to hear that, looking forward to seeing the pics. There’s always next year eh?

Geforcejunky, try http://www.timelaps.co.uk

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Hats off to loverly Ladies and Gents riding Bristol Bikefest!’ is closed to new replies.