Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Hats off to loverly Ladies and Gents riding Bristol Bikefest!
  • zaskar
    Free Member

Some heavy rain, cold winds basically tough conditions.

Still as I walked around the knackered riders sneaked in some jibe about my roadbike lol.

After all the crap they still kept their smiles.

Well done to them all. :mrgreen:

mamadirt
    Free Member

Fair play – it must have been horrendous there today. I had been tempted to enter but when I woke up this morning I was so glad I hadn’t.

zaskar
    Free Member

Bad? I found it tough riding there to watch! (walked most of the way)

I think the organiser could had more activities but it was chucking it down.

I’ll do it next year but I’ll be driving home and not camping.

Apparently the toilet contents starting to stack up…

cheers_drive

It really wasn’t that bad apart from the first lap. I had the misfortune of doing that first lap and it took 1hr 10mins after queuing to enter all the singletrack and the bridge, I was lapped before I got half way round the course! That was the worse hour of biking i’d done in a long time and I was ready to give up then.
    The course soon dried really quicky and although there were lots of sideways moments it was running pretty fast towards the end doing 35 minute laps.
    There were lots of accidents so I hope none were serious.

clubber
    Free Member

it was a brilliant day despite the weather (i got a good start so enjoyed the first lap 🙂 ) apart from one of our (LVIS) girls breaking her leg on the singletrack climb but thanks to Sarah from “the girls” team for looking after her. If anyone has contact details for them, we’d love to say thanks properly.

cheers_drive

Was it on the log crossing at the end of the lower quarry trail? I passed the incident of my final lap (people were already assisting) but for some reason the paramedic quad went down the upper quarry trail and got stuck instead of just going in at the metal gate at the end.
    Hope the break’s not too serious.

clubber
    Free Member

yeah, that’s the one. They got a bit confused in the quad. Luckily we have two doctors on the squad and they were quickly on hand to help.

flatfish
    Free Member

I have to say I thought the “event village” was a bit of a joke and the camping was very limited on space with no room for expansion plus no car parking for visitors.

It’s not as if it’s the organizers first year after seven I would hope it wouldn’t be just a shambles.

Shame

clubber
    Free Member

I think that the problem there is that they’re limited in the space available by the Ashton Court estate. I guess that maybe they’re reaching the point where it’s about as big as it can get. My wife managed to park ok though when she came to spectate.

Can’t say that it in any way affected my enjoyment of it though.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

I thought it was a great event – really enjoyed it for the 4th year.
    The organisers got severely let down by Cotham Rugby club who had promised two rugby pitches for camping plus the hard-standing car park but when it came to it, they only allowed a single rugby pitch for camping and parking.

knottie8
    Free Member

ten out of ten event. Shame about the weather but hey ho thats life. Pics later opnce Ive unloaded the camper……

charlierevell
    Free Member

I had a cracking day…. had to get my laps in early for the team as I had a wedding to be at an hour away at half 3!
    First lap was mental, but pushed on to get it done in a little over 45 mins. Laps were then about 36-37 mins until my seat fell off!
    Mud was still very slippy when I left at 1.30ish tho.

Clink

I thought it was brilliant! Despite ‘mist’ on Friday night/Sat morning the course dried out and rain held off. First time for me and thoroughly enjoyed the course. Thanks to all involved!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Brilliant day, I’m having problems moving this morning!

😐

muenchen1
    Free Member

Bugger – whilst I’m ‘pleased’ the event was a success I’m pi$$ed we called off taking part at 5am yesterday – with hindsight we were wrong.

BruceK
    Free Member

Good work people! fanstastic day, good atmosphere despite the early weather and gloopiness. It just made the singletrack all the more, err, interesting…- who wants dusty trials anyway? 🙂 at the end of the day I almost snuck in a sub 30 lap despite a tumble so it did speed up.

Can’t really complain about the parking if everyone(including us , doh) tries to drive in after 8 expecting a 9 start.

Hope those injured are ok- massive thanks to the brilliant marshalls and St Johns Ambulance and Paul N for organising it again.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

As a rule I don’t generally do eventing, but I did this one and It was really good fun.

I went out first for my team – The first lap was ok since it was a fresh surface, as I went round to do the second lap it was really claggy. Lap 3 was claggy and by lap 4 is was starting to dry. After that it was fine!

The delayed start was a bit of a mess, the camping was a bit squeezed and the loo’s weren’t allocated in the correct ratio, but all in all, a great vibe and a great course.

For those occasional riders on the course, those first few laps must have been very hard – hats off to them.

And I finally met the infamous Peter Poddy, who had the best bell in the world!

Anyone know if the final results will be available online?

knottie8
    Free Member

bbf pics here no time to comment as the F1 is about to start..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Anyone know if the final results will be available online?

Probably after all the events today, surprised I didn’t bump into you Colin.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Ohh I don’t look too happy..

knottie8
    Free Member

I didnt expect to need lights near the end , shame I didnt take any . Roll on next years event .

steviep
    Free Member

Fantastic event, really enjoyed the course. Many thanks to the American guy who stopped and tried to help me reinflate my tubeless rear tyre to no avail, as it turned out I had badly dinged the rim leading to a long walk back from the first descent after the bridge. No thanks to innovations tyre sealant that wouldnt even come out of the canister let alone go into my tyre.

nicks
    Free Member

really good event, i think after all the weather reports we were lucky!
    thanks to all the marshals and cheers of support from passing riders ( was riding solo in green mule bar kit)
    see you all nxt year

Nicks

saladdodger
    Free Member

My Fuggin knee hurts limping like a good un now, such a shame cos it was a cracking event, superb atmosphere, the kids from the ATC deserve a big thank you as do all who helped with the event. My wife and dog ( the golden retrevier) love it to

I did find the course a bit er testing with roots everywhere but that is the way the course is ( its a off road race ffs), lost the bike on 1 decent and twisted my knee that was me out of action.

So I have some unfinnished business so I will be back

Again Knottie????????

matt_bl
    Free Member

Great event, the first I’ve ever done. The start was a bit of farce, both times, and the first lap was just mental. Perhaps they need a longer run? The course held up really well and dried out really quickly, my Spesh Eskars were a bit draggy until it got drier, but they were the only tyres I had.

Loads of friendly soloists to chat to as I went round and plenty of thanks for making room from the quicker riders.

Where do I sign up for next year!

Matt

knottie8
    Free Member

“Again Knottie????????”

Hell yes ! Mikes up for it too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I saw you a couple of times around the transition area mike, but you were busy, or I was busy, so I left it till later, and then all of a sudden it was over!

saladdodger
    Free Member

Jesus knottie I look as misearable as hell in that pic

I was enjoying myself honest 😀

charlierevell
    Free Member

I can only find one pic of me so far, and its after the event damnit!

Philby

After wondering what the **** I was doing standing shivering in the rain at 9.00 in the morning, the day proved to be very satisfying and great fun. Most of the course dried out pretty well after the first couple of very muddy laps.

Still got to clean my bike – god knows how many kilos of mud are caked on it 🙁

Everyone seemed better behaved and more courteous when overtaking this year.

Hope the young lady who broke her leg is OK – she seemed quite smiley when I passed her and the couple of people looking after her about 5 minutes before the medic on the quad bike got to her.

Big thanks to the Cadets for their encouragement at the bottom of the zig-zag climb and helping pull people out of the bomb hole.

Bring back the good weather for 2010!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Everyone seemed better behaved and more courteous when overtaking this year.

Agreed even the Torq riders were polite this year. 😉

nicks
    Free Member

i saw a few bits of bad over taking but you get that at every event!

took ages to clean bike …..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

took ages to clean bike …..

Off out to do mine in a min, I don’t usually use a pressure washer but..

clubber
    Free Member

Hmmm didn’t take long to clean my bike with 5 laps worth on it. Maybe i avoided all the mud 🙂

oxym0r0n

Weather cannot be helped I guess, but the queueing was a bit annoying…

I was surprised how many “professional” SS soloists there were with team support, 2nd bikes etc. I thought SS was supposed to be a bit more low key 🙁

No idea where I came…

On the plus side – Cadets were cheery all day, polite riders and some very fast girls esp. the SS one on a Azonic frame with rigid carbon forks

Now to find some photos of me looking miserable
    [edit] bike cleaning will have to wait until later in the week

clubber
    Free Member

Ss can be whatever you want it to be. Only the really serious ssers insist otherwise 😉

Queueing is impossible to avoid on a course with lots of singletrack. Get a good start if it’s important to you 🙂

MrAgreeable

That was a great day, marred only slightly by Tess (Stow-Away off here)’s accident at the end. For those asking after her, she’s currently in the BRI with a broken leg and waiting to have it pinned, but she’s pretty chipper considering the circumstances.

Aside from that I had a really good time. The trails held up really well (although I doubt they’ll be looking as good after today’s event, judging by the state of some of the bikes I saw coming back) and it was a nice surprise to get third place in our category without having to sand-bag. 🙂

milkherd
    Free Member

it was a nice surprise to get third place in our category

Silly Dave – couldn’t find a partner and so raced solo. Forgot to tell the organisers until the end! Does mean everyone from 4th down in solo mens is unofficially demoted by a place…!

SammyC
    Free Member

Here’s Mr. Agreeable styling it up for the camera in the afternoon!

😀

MrAgreeable

Top photo Sammy! I’ll be spending next week practicing my bunny hops, specifically keeping both feet on the pedals. 😳 😀

Milkherd, I saw that Dave’s officially 3rd on the results page. He just needs to clone himself in time for next years’ race and he’ll be in with a shot at winning a tasteless hat!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Hats off to loverly Ladies and Gents riding Bristol Bikefest!’ is closed to new replies.