Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • hating bank holidays?
  • martinhutch

There must be your evil clone out there. He was the spit of you. And probably a bit annoyed when I rode past and said ‘Hi Ton!’… 😀

CountZero

anyone else?

i dont want to be off work when everyone else it. i want to go somewhere quiet, where there are no other folk. i dont want to be sat in **** traffic with everyone else.

i spend bank holiday weekends at home now, like a miserable old sod i am.
    So the only thing you and others can think of is going somewhere that you know is going to be crowded, and with heavy traffic getting there? Have you no imagination? Go for a walk somewhere, look at the countryside, walk in the woods, go and explore quiet lanes looking for interesting pubs, there’s never a shortage of things to do, places to go, where there aren’t many people; most people who drive places rarely go more than a few hundred yards from their bloody car!
    I went for a walk yesterday from Castle Combe, a real honeypot for grockles, once out of the village I saw relatively few people, stopped at a pub in the little village of Ford, where my dad grew up, walked back past Castle Combe to a friend of mine’s hotel to grab a cuppa and have a look at the Shawn the Sheep statue she won at auction, then back to the car.
    About six-seven miles, not many people, an enjoyable afternoon spent not far from home, and no sodding traffic jams.
    Today, because of the typical BH weather, I actually stayed in, made a belt from a very old buckle that was on a belt my dad wore to work, the leather had worn through, and I found a belt lying by the roadside while walking yesterday, looked like it had fallen from a car, along with a trainer. Nice thick leather, a bit battered, cleaned it up, took the broken buckle off, put my dad’s buckle on and restitched it back together. Now wearing it on my thirty-odd year-old 501’s.
    Repaired the stitching on a buttonhole of a really nice blanket-lined Lee denim jacket I got for £30 off eBay,
    Put more linseed oil on a holly walking stick I’ve nearly finished, just needs a metal foot fitted, finished Rob Penn’s book The Man Who Made Things Out Of Trees.
    Not a bad afternoon, really.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Worked the skank holiday.. It really seems to bring out the loonies. Today a random bloke walked into the shop wearing only a white string vest and denim hot pant shorts (no shoes). He was looking to buy a glass pint mug. I swear they are let out only on bank holidays..

Drac

Today a random bloke walked into the shop wearing only a white string vest and denim hot pant shorts (no shoes)

I think they were found together with his leather belt.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Nice words CountZero, bang on.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Spent the day watching oldest son play in a footie tournament. Lost in the final in extra time. He’s the goalkeeper and he made about seven great saves in the match to keep the team in it. Best way of spending a bank holiday I reckon. Plus now have quite a red face due to the wind and sun !

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bank holiday spent out on the bike exploring different trails well away from the crowds. No tourist traffic, peace and quiet and the countryside.

Just don’t do what everyone else does on bank holidays. That’s what causes the misery.

I suppose growing up in Devon by the sea I also never had the allure of the seaside on a bank holiday. It was just a pain to anyone down there who needed to drive somewhere that the roads were clogged with irritating caravans.

ourmaninthenorth

Bank holiday spent driving back from a weekend away with friends. We snoozed this afternoon, then I mowed the lawn before we had dinner and watched Spurs stuff up the league (well done Leicester – our turn next year).

I ought to be sleeping now as I’m going to drive to London in the morning (5am start – 4 hour drive) – rather than take the train as usual – so I can pick up some speakers I won on eBay after work.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘hating bank holidays?’ is closed to new replies.