• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Del.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hate BB7(R)?
  • sb88
    Free Member

Anyone else dislike their BB7 road brakes? Actually prefer the BB5s on the bike I built my GF for ease of set up, pad replacement and pistons returning properly.

Del

cable issues?

snownrock

No problems here. Much better than the previous tektros

scaredypants

I like them, and the mtb ones

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A bit of a faff to set up but once set up they’re ok. Not bowled over by them but no dislike of them. The front squeals a bit sometimes but I think a change of pads might sort that out. Will be replacing with hydraulics as soon as budget allows.

sb88
    Free Member

Yeah they’re better than most others and am setting them up properly.
    Admittedly used compressionless cables on the BB5s which gives a crisper feel.
    Though I don’t mind a slightly spongy brake lever that pulls in further as I’ve small hands. It’s more that a good set up doesn’t seem to last very long compared to the BB5s, which respond well to winding the inner pad in and using the barrel adjuster to compensate for pad wear. I don’t really think the adjustable outer pad adds much over a barrel adjuster.

Haven’t used the MTB ones but the road ones didn’t cope very well with wet and gritty touring – small bits of grit seemed to interfere with the pad holding spring to the point that it got mangled and needed replacing roadside. The Shimano style retention pin would have helped avoid this I reckon.

May recable with compressionless and get rid of the inline barrel adjusters before I whinge about them any more!

scaredypants

I’m not sure about BB5s but I don’t think you should use barrel adjusters with BB7 – it’s just pulling the actuation lever part way into its travel even before you touch the brake lever, leaving less available travel for the actuation lever. Prob works OK during a ride as long as you readjust properly down at the brake afterwards and wind the barrel adjuster back out.

(… and much better with compressionless outer IMO)

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not a huge fan of the BB7’s on my boardman cx, although possible they could be suffering from cheap stretchy cables.

Seem to need adjusting quite regularly to avoid excessive lever travel, and power is mediocre at best.

larrydavid
    Free Member

Bb5 rear and bb7 front (road) with compressionless outer. They both have plenty power and modulation for me at least

scotroutes

Avid supply barrel adjusters with BB7s (or they used to). I fitted them on my Amazon 7 years ago and they’re still running fine.

pdw
    Free Member

Yes, but it’s intended for adjusting the slack out of the cable, not compensating for pad wear.

I’ve had BB7 roads on my commuter for 6 years, and have always found them a bit underwhelming.

Del

Yes, but it’s intended for adjusting the slack out of the cable, not compensating for pad wear.

that. when i set up a set of bb7 ( and i just wouldn’t waste my time using cheap outers – i have a set of jagwire equipped bb7 i’ve just transferred on to their third frame. i cabled these about 6 or 7 years ago ) the barrel adjuster gets set to adjust for slack and once it’s done, they don’t get touched again unless someone screws around with them.
    adjust for wear at the caliper, otherwise you’re reducing the mechanical advantage, they’ll feel shit, and won’t work well.
    there’s also a grub screw for increasing the spring tension ( return ) on the caliper arm, and another for adjusting reach at the lever.
    i run a set on my ss mtb ridden at least twice a week all year round. the only time i get any bother is on those really, really filthy nights when you’re getting wet from every direction, and the pads i use wear quickly, which means i have to adjust frequently. it’s their only drawback IMO.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hate BB7(R)?’ is closed to new replies.