• This topic has 45 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Tom83.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Hastings
  • td75
    Free Member

I’ve got a new job in Tunbridge Wells. I fancied living by the coast in Hastings. Anyone commuted by train from Hastings to Tunbridge Wells? Is it a nightmare in the morning?

Pigface
    Free Member

I’ve been to Brighton, I’ve been to Hastings, I’ve been to Eastborne too ……………………

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Isn’t Hastings the social security B&B capital of the south coast?

Drac

I’ve been to Brighton, I’ve been to Hastings, I’ve been to Eastborne too …………..

Have you ever seen a Nessie in the Zoo?

dlr

Only used the train a few times from Hastings/Battle in the last couple of years so this might be complete nonsense…

Hastings to Tunbridge Wells, should be fine as Hastings is the first station on the line

Coming back it might be busy initially then get quieter, from London it is a nightmare but the majority probably depart at Tunbridge Wells or before

Getting on at Battle would be ok I expect even in rush hour

Pigface
    Free Member

Different tune Drac different tune 😆

Sorry for the thread hijack

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve been to Brighton, I’ve been to Hastings, I’ve been to Eastborne too ……………………

The second verse puts a new spin on your name.

td75
    Free Member

Thanks dir, seems like it could be doable.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Hastings to Tunbridge Wells, should be fine as Hastings is the first station on the line

Coming back it might be busy initially then get quieter, from London it is a nightmare but the majority probably depart at Tunbridge Wells or before

Getting on at Battle would be ok I expect even in rush hour

That’s my experience of it too although like you I only do it a few times a year (my OH’s parents live in Hastings).

gobuchul
    Free Member

What side of Tunbridge Wells?

Tunbridge Wells itself has terrible traffic congestion and if you have to get across it, then thats a pain.

The A21 is OK in places and crap in others.

I reckon you would be looking at about 1hr 15min each way during rush hour.

It would be quicker on the train, about 50 mins. If you can afford it…

Edit – just re-read the OP, thought he meant driving it . Doh!

td75
    Free Member

Job is right in the centre of Tunbridge Wells, just around the corner from the Train station. So I was thinking just to take the train for now.

Harry_the_Spider

Hastings is grim.

td75
    Free Member

In what way?

zippykona

The place does have a bad reputation and can look a bit scuzzy.
    But…. its a great place to see bands and the Old Town is the best place to have a beer.
    I moved there under duress but ended up loving the place.
    Mayday and Battle Of Hastings week are just mental.
    The view from the Fire Hills is just superb. Go for it.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Hastings is grim.

Nonsense – only most of Hastings is grim.*

The old town is lovely and that end of town seems to have a fantastic sense of community.

The FILO is one of my favourite pubs anywhere.

*and I might be wrong about that, we just tend to drive through it as quickly as possible which suggests our lass doesn’t think much of it.

Drac

In what way?

I know someone who lost an eye there.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I know someone who lost an eye there.

Over enthusiastic minigolfing?

I know someone who lost an eye in Ilkley so I’m not sure how much I’d read into that without more context.

edit: Doh!

td75
    Free Member

Seems to be like most seaside towns then.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Seems to be like most seaside towns then.

Exactly – though it’s done a much better job of preserving its best bits than many do.

edit: though whoever was responsible for Priory Meadows should be shot.

Pigface
    Free Member

Drac do you know Harold as well? Small world 🙂

dantsw13

Td75 – I’m in Robertsbride – just north of Hastings and we love it here. 4 lovely pubs, primary school, secondary school, Indian, shops, mainline train station(25 min to TW). Hastings has great parks, nice beachfront, the Old Town is great, but pick your area carefully.

Happy to answer any questions

MoreCashThanDash

In laws are from Hastings.

It is the only bit of the south east outside London to get EU money to help it’s deprivation – well that may no longer be true, but it was. It certainly doesn’t have the image or attitude that Brighton has. Or the house prices.

That said, I really like the place – still a proper seaside fishing town, Old Town is interesting, and the gentrification/yuppie-fication hasn’t hurt it too badly yet. Decent shops and places to eat and drink.

I can imagine it being an easier place to live in than Brighton.

Drac

Drac do you know Harold as well? Small world

He’s the King.

Over enthusiastic minigolfing?

I know someone who lost an eye in Ilkley so I’m not sure how much I’d read into that without more context.

edit: Doh!

😆

td75
    Free Member

Thanks Dantsw13 / Lemonysam / MoreCashThanDash. I’m just going to rent a room to start with so I can get a feel for the area. Seems like the Old Town is the best place to start looking.

VanHalen

good BMX scene. half decent street riding.

I`ve done a few jobs over there and to be honest i dont mind the place. Its not commercial in any way compared to brighton.

Some bits are a dive but that can be said of most places.

rewski
    Free Member

Pirate day was interesting. I often ride with the family from cooden/bexhill to hastings during the summer months. St leonards seems to be on the up too and the stade in old town with all the net drying huts is nice. And you might bump into danny rampling.

woffle
    Free Member

Hmmmm – my sister lives in Hastings (just down by Warrior Sq station).

Pros : cheap. They bought their massive 3 bed flat for a song a few years back. Is on the up – the old town is lovely. There’s some decent curry houses and as above, some good beers to be had (but that’s a Sussex thing anyway). You’re on the coast. Would make a good investment if you’re willing to stick with it for a few years, potentially. Have to bear in mind people have been saying that since they moved there about 10 years ago and prices / the place hasn’t improved THAT much so far.

Cons : it can be really dodgy in places. They’ve had problems with anti-social neighbours, car theft etc. My sister isn’t a massive fan of the place in the evening – doesn’t feel safe etc when walking about.

The trains are very expensive too. I’ve commuted from villages / T.Wells to and from London on the Hastings line for longer than I care to remember and prices are now extortionate. A season ticket from our village is something like £4K a year now and a day return to London at peak is £40. The quality of service has improved a lot and the trains are ok. If there’s bad weather in any description you can often kiss goodbye to train services south of T.Wells. You can drive (my sister and brother in law at various points have done that commute) but the A21 isn’t great.

With all that in mind – have lived in Sussex pretty much all my life and love it….

td75
    Free Member

Thanks Woffle. I didn’t realize the train services were a bit dodgy in the bad weather. Lot’s of thinking to do.

pedropete

The FILO used to have roast tattles on the bar & a great meat raffle, plus a great beer festival every year. Lovely people, used to let you fill your glass from the barrel & rely on your honesty for what you drank. Don’t remember anybody abusing the system. Spent many a hazy happy weekend in Hastings. Nice bohemian atmos, but def some dodgy bits.

woffle
    Free Member

Thanks Woffle. I didn’t realize the train services were a bit dodgy in the bad weather. Lot’s of thinking to do.

You could get stuck if you’re working in T.Wells and rely on the trains. We had massive subsidence with the floods that effectively cut the line just outside our village (Stonegate). They’re still doing repair works and underpinning now. They are meant to put on bus services but it can get to be a real PITA.

EDIT – the train might not cost too much – looks like (unsuprisingly) the cost is weighted to the London end. Worth calling Southeastern to see what it’d cost you per week / month…

td75
    Free Member

Train cost isn’t bad. It’s £13.70 a day return. I was up and around the area last weekend, I did notice bus services south of T.Wells because of line work. I don’t really want to drive as the office doesn’t have any parking.

jam-bo

It’s a shithole with a one redeeming feature. The sea. Even that isn’t very nice.

Grew up round there and no desire to return.

Is the crypt still going?

zippykona

Another vote for The Filo. It’s where I want to be on a winters Sunday evening.
    The sunsets in November can be spectacular. Sunrises none to shabby either. Remember one from Galley Hill when Mars was huge for some reason.
    Keep your eyes open for Steve Riv and Nana Tsiboe or Pass The Cat. Really tight duo playing acoustic guitar and bongos. Playing everything from S.E Rogie to Bob Dylan.
    There’s so much going on down there and a real sense of community.

zippykona

Not Dorset , Hastings.

td75
    Free Member

Wow, nice! So I’m presuming it’s got some good single track? Or cheeky coast path routes?

zippykona

No single track but nude beach,dinosaur footprints and a prehistoric petrified forest. Well a few bits of wood!
    Huge fun to be had at low tide.

td75
    Free Member

Thanks Zippykona. I’m going to keep my options open and look at different areas as well.

DenDennis
    Free Member

I had a flat there, was renting it out, you could have got a good price from me!
    Spent a few days there but no experience of living there.
    That was up at warrior sq, the St Leonard’s end. Proper old sea front and clean ish pebble beach… Seemed not to be overrun by crusties with dog on string as per Brighton of old.
    You’ve got St Leonard’s old town too with one or two great ale pubs and decent gastro. The coast all the way along west and east makes a great bike ride, i.e. out to rye or Eastbourne, on road. The idea of living on the coast with the sea air an openness really appealed. As above, it’s a long winding road to get to anywhere northward by car,
    Decent coast paths and bridleways have amazing views. ..

simon_g

£216.20/month or £2252 a year Hastings to TW.

Hastings does seem better these days. Not sure I’d want to live there and commute in though – lots of nice places in between that give you good access to the coast and a easier commute.

Bexhill is nicer but would mean a couple of stops then change, or a pleasant few miles cycle by the sea to the station.

td75
    Free Member

The commute in is my biggest concern at the moment. Cost wise I think the train is cheaper than the car. I love living by the coast, but if the train is unreliable then maybe it’s not an option.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Hastings’ is closed to new replies.