Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Has your music taste changed…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Has your music taste changed since you were, say, 18 ish? I am 36 and still listen to the same sort of stuff (drum and bass etc, not really into 'guitar' bands) and my taste shows no signs of changing. Sure I appreciate a wider spectrum of music but it is still only DnB that really excites me, and I am going to be 40 soon enough FFS! Will I be 60 and still into the same stuff? I know my uncle and dad pretty much stayed into the same stuff..

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

31 here and still love D&B but find myself strangely drawn to radio 2. Is this the beginning of the end.?

SaxonRider

Big time. Grew up on U2. Now couldn't care less. Leonard Cohen is now at the top of the list, alongside ancient music, a great deal of classical and 'new' music, a lot of ethnic stuff, and finally, Guns & Roses for a laugh. Age? close to 40.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jahwomble
    Free Member

Mine have expanded, I still like the stuff I did thirty years ago, but buy and listen to a huge range of other stuff as well now.

cinnamon_girl

Music evolves and so will you 8)

I have loved one particular artist since the early 1970's and joined him on his journey up to the current day.

Do feel sometimes that I need to hear more new stuff, which is where this place is quite handy. Otherwise I am still in love with rock gods, particularly guitarists!

Taff
    Free Member

I used to be really into my dance at that age… only ten years on and I've just bough my first Rat Pack album! I've got a broader taste nowadays but only really listen to dance when in the clubs and what's on radio 1. I do like mullet rock though…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i was 18 in 1986.
    i saw slayer live shortly after that.

most likely going to see them again early next year…

loddrik
    Free Member

Slayer, I have reign in blood on my ipod, classic!

cinnamon_girl

I'm into gigs again, never gonna see 18 again though! Pretty embarrassing really!

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I still like the great bands form the early 90's when I was a teenager (Slayer, Entombed, At the Gates, NoFX, etc) but it has expended to include other stuff (ambient electronica, post rock)

SSP

juiced
    Free Member

into a bit of live music again and my tastes have matured slightly in some ways although I also love the majority of the older stuff too (from 15 years back) (both electronic and instrumental)

Paisley
    Free Member

I drift from one music style to another but keep on getting sucked back to DnB, where I started way back before it was even called drum and bass. Currently into Blu Mar Ten, D-Bridge, Marcus Intalex and still loving the old skool boys Fabio and LTJ Bukem.

D-Bridge – True Romance

EDIT – nearly 34 years old, been raving for half my life!

john_drummer
    Free Member

when I was 18 I saw New Model Army for the first time. Actually, no I was 17. They're still going, and I still love their stuff, old and new. And a lot of the stuff that started coming out round Leeds & Bradford round that time – Southern Death Cult, Sisters Of Mercy, The Mission, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Skeletal Family, 3 Johns, Ghost Dance, March Violets, you get the idea

I still listen to the stuff I did when I was that age, but I haven't stood still either. I now listen to mostly guitar bands, but also classical, some older rock & even metal now & again – but I can't be doing with 'death metal' or what passes for 'goth' these days.

And as for "RnB" – WTF has that to do with Rhythm & Blues????

but right now I'm listening to demos from our singer/guitarist in preparation for tomorrow evening's practice session

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Ummm, my tastes have ebbed and flowed over the years. I have always had very broad musical tastes that have taken in hardcore punk,blues,drum and bass,house,techno,country,funk,soul etc etc. But one style that has always been constant is jazz. When I become jaded with the current music scene, I always return to jazz.

sc-xc

I love Johnny Cash.

samuri
    Free Member

Not much. 60's/70's rock bands for the most part. I was hooked after I heard Queen for the first time and I've been pretty much smitten ever since. Queen, ACDC, the stones, Led Zep. Bit of more modern punkish stuff like the who, clash, stranglers. Some other stuff has seeped in like eminem, green day and the chilli peppers. I've started liking strong modern female singers too like Pink but I suspect that's a sexual thing.

juiced
    Free Member

will be listening to some old (1990) LTJ Buckem, Dr Gachet studio mixed ( before they were famous) Tapes on my old school Walkman tape recorder on tommorrow's commute 😀

uponthedowns
    Free Member

One of the dangers of living past 40 is the "heard it all before syndrome". Particularly for rock music it seems that anything from the last 20 years is basically a poor quality rehash of something from the 60s, 70's or 80's (Oasis anybody?).

I'm really struggling to find any new music, particularly rock that speaks to me these days.

However one of the advantages of getting older is that you get more open minded about musical genres. It helps that peer pressure to like what's supposedly cool disappears. I'm finding more to like in folk and roots music which I'd previously never bothered with.

slimtubing
    Free Member

I was your typical mid eighties indie kid, flirted with grebo, went nuts for NMA then discovered Bob Mould and subsequently Husker Du, had a brief crush on girl fronted power pop bands like fuzzy ,letters to cleo ,the clouds and Jale then got bitten by grunge for the early to mid 90s took a mellow turn and hooked into Teenage fanclub, recenlty got into shapeshifter and state of mind but still listen to all of them and probably always will.
    I love music!

0091paddy
    Free Member

I love discovering new music, but I'd consider my musical tastes to be VERY varied.

My Spotify playlists contain arists such as, The Chemical Brothers, Lamb of God, HED (PE), Slayer, Mumford & Sons, Ewun, Kottonmouth Kings, Tech N9ne, King Charles, Philip Glass and Brian Eno to name but a few.

I'll listen to more or less anything from Classical through to Grime. I hate all R & B though. 😆

Oh, and I'm 21.

audiophile
    Free Member

I'm in the same situation as uponthedowns, just really having difficulty finding something new to get into. Used to buy new CDs every week but when I look back at what I've purchased over the last few years, it's all stuff that I missed first time around or from bands that I've followed since I was eighteen. I've become my dad and now think it " all sounds the same ".
    I think this just happens as you get older, I find myself longing after the stuff that I had in my youth, I'd kill for an Orange R8 and a Hooch alcohpop.

Northwind

I still love most of the music I loved when I was 18, but I've added a lot more. Mostly I think stuff that I'd have liked when I was 18 if I'd ever heard it, to be honest. I don't think my taste's changed, just my experience.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Has your music taste changed…’ is closed to new replies.