Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Has your car insurance gone up?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Got a multicar policy with Admiral and just had renewal.
    Bit of boring background:
    First policy was £430 for Golf and Ceed.
    Second policy went up to £981 (same cars)!…though the wife had a minor bump which went 50/50 with the other party. I told them in no uncertain terms what I thought of that and they brought it down to £623.
    Their renewal is £786 – up £163! Are they taking the piss or have they gone up across the board? Feels like they’re pulling out pants down again for a minor claim that happened 13 months ago – needless to say I’ll be seeing how much (if anything) they’re gonna move from this 👿

jimdubleyou

Admiral try it on every year – this year our renewal was about 25% more.

Phone them up and dance the dance, you’ll probably get it for similar to last year (I did).

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I go round this cycle a few times, until they stop bring the price back to something sensible, then go somewhere else. I think it’s to do with moving out of each insurer’s preferred demographic as I age.

This weeks phone call got me to 230 for a planet-killing golf with Privilege (so broadly in line with your first policy I guess). I’d start shopping round if I were you.

rascal
    Free Member

I will def go through the usual hateful process of quote-bagging, but want to see their best price first.
    Also wanted a general guide as to whether other people’s prices have gone up too before I kick off with them.

bigdean

We get the same from admiral, ring up moan asking to cancel policy. It soon comes down.

parkesie
    Free Member

We binned admiral multi car off this year after the yearly price hike, phone up tell them no thanks for them to drop to a competitive price. I mean serriously every year for 6 years the same shit. This year 2 seperate policies else where were £100 cheaper. Mines down to £240 with zero excess.

goldfish24

Yep, they do it every year at admiral. They’re actually pretty friendly when you ring up and give you a nice discount – worth being armed with a couple of quotes from your favourite comparison website.

I too think I’ve had enough of their games though and will switch to a less cynical insurer this year.

wilburt
    Free Member

Insurance goes up yoy, thats the pricing model
    for all companies. When it doesnt go up is the exception.

Nobody is pulling you pants down, you can shop around and buy whatever you want.

Daffy

My Admiral multicar renewal is up from £400 last year to £717 this year. No claims, no adjustments, just + 1 year no claims on each car.

I can have both cars insured through ensure on similar terms for £363 total.

Admiral have also altered their system so that you can no longer use their system to receive a comparable, new customer price to use as leverage.

frogstomp

I’ve just had my renewal through from Axa and it’s actually gone down – pleasantly surprising!

sc-xc

Insurance.

I typed something just now, but would get a lifetime ban for saying what I think about every single last person that works, or has ever worked for an insurance company.

At least I can sleep at night.

rascal
    Free Member

you can shop around and buy whatever you want.

I am well aware of that. There def seems to be a pattern emerging of Admiral seeing what they can get away with though, which I would have been unaware of, so worth starting this thread.

wilburt
    Free Member

ALL companies charge what they can get away with in subsequent years, least they do
    if the legions of staff they employee to calculate that figure very precisely get it right. Its called elasticity.
    In your case this year they pushed it more than you’ll accept.

But again, whoever you go instead with will do same next year.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I find my premium goes up every year so I just shop about & always get it for less, sometimes less than it was the year before, which is a pisstake.
    I had a quote 5 years ago but had had a speedy fine & points (1st one in over 40 years of driving) & the next time I shopped around I declared it anyway & still got it cheaper then the year I got the fine!

milky1980
    Free Member

Same as frogstomp, Axa have been gradually coming down the last 3 years for me without having to phone them up! The comparison sites were slightly cheaper (~£20) each year but it’s not worth the hassle of changing.

Bizarrely my insurance has always been around the £500 mark since 2002 regardless of accidents or what I was driving. Thought it should be going down for me by now though as I drive a non-chavvy car (Fabia, Fiesta before) and am getting older (35) but, according to a friend in the business, the fact I’m male, single and a non-homeowner means it won’t go much lower. Peeves me off that someone who’s married with kids and a mortgage gets better prices 😕 Yes, I’ve tried that info for me and it dropped from £490 to £265 😯

sc-xc

But again, whoever you go instead with will do same next year.

Because they are all soulless, damaged, brain dead droids shuffling through their unhappy shitty little life.

chrisdw
    Free Member

When I recently changed my car. I got a few online quotes for the new one. All good.
    I agreed to buy the car. Phoned admiral and asked if they could quote me for swapping the policy to the new car.

I had 3 months left of the policy which originally cost me just over £500. They wanted an extra £300 for the remainder. Excuses were that the car was a group 20 instead of group 9.

I told them that It would be cheaper for me to cancel the policy, lose a year NCB, and buy a new policy online. And that’s what I will do. They still said nothing they can do. Absolutely crazy. Bought a policy online for £400 for the whole year.

Don’t understand.

seadog101

Direct line increased our renewal by nearly 25%, same car, no changes in circumstances:
    “Oh it must the changes in your postcode area then…” WTF, no really significant increase in car crime, apart from a spate of vans being broken into one weekend…?

Tried Churchill, broadly similar cover (replacement vehicle, legal, excess etc), cheaper than last year. Went back to DI with this info but they refused to budge. Lost a customer very quickly.

breadcrumb

For the first time in my motoring life my renewal was the cheapest quote.

wilburt
    Free Member

Because they are all soulless, damaged, brain dead droids shuffling through their unhappy shitty little life.

You could think that or you could just shop around like you would anything else.

wilburt
    Free Member

seadog proves the point rather nicely, Direct Line and Churchill are the same company.
    I did similar recently moving from BT to Plusnet (again same company) saving 50% off for the same service.

chewkw
    Free Member

OP, Any claim you make will be an excuse for insurance company to charge you extra regardless of whose fault it is.

I have been told that all insurance premium increases this year.

Mine gave me the same quote as last year.

Rich_s

would get a lifetime ban for saying what I think about every single last person that works, or has ever worked for an insurance company.

Excellent, thanks very much. Really appreciate that.

I look forward to hearing about how you’ve cancelled all your policies really soon. Including your pension, obvs.

rascal
    Free Member

OP, Any claim you make will be an excuse for insurance company to charge you extra regardless of whose fault it is.

They did that when £430 became £981!

frankconway

See link below; there’s a lot in it.

Mine is due for renewal at Dec 1st so I’ll be using this to get my ‘ducks in a row’ before the inevitable haggling starts.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=18-Oct-16-33555217&utm_campaign=nt-bignote-three&utm_content=7

timber

Both our cars are with Tesco, normally the renewal is cheaper than the quotes, but this year they suggested doubling the premium on the wifes car. Quick phone call and suddenly they were cheaper than the other quotes again.

br
    Free Member

While mine nor the wifes’ has my eldest rang me today to tell that his has.

Cheapest quote is £1000, last year it was £600. Previous year it was £1200.

Only 22 y/o and West Yorkshire so bound to be expensive, but…

sc-xc

Excellent, thanks very much. Really appreciate that.
    I look forward to hearing about how you’ve cancelled all your policies really soon. Including your pension, obvs.

There we have it. Bend over and take our shit…

Keep shuffling.

shermer75
    Free Member

Some good info here- I’ve just been hit with a 40% price hike!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Admiral always quote us the cheapest.

I wouldn’t insure with then even if they were the only mob though.

Video evidence of other driver driving into my wife and they still paid out as it was easier.

We are 230 for the berlingo and 280 for the van. Have been for years

Rich_s

Keep shuffling.

No thanks – i’ll keep striding along doing my best. When I give up hope, mental capacity and direction I’ll try something else. Any jobs at your place? 😉

hora
    Free Member

9years ago with 2yrs NCD I had a Subaru Forester for £430.

13yrs NCD with a Saab 9-5…£470.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Admiral put our insurance up by £100 so I shopped around. Admiral offered a 27% discount when i phoned. I got a quote via my bank which ended up being 50% cheaper with lower excesses and basically the same cover.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Car insurance = five minutes on that Meerkat site once a year. No-one actually has to get angry about it.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I typed something just now, but would get a lifetime ban for saying what I think about every single last person that works, or has ever worked for an insurance company.

At least I can sleep at night.

i slept fine last night thanks, as any night.
    we should go for a ride some time and you can tell me all about me.

Sundayjumper

Renewal this year was £794.28.
    Year before was £802.66
    Year before that was £1,072.93

That’s as far back as I can go with the same set of cars. My wife & I are the same people, living at the same address. Admiral multicar policy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The main car remains £320 odd, my second car remains £225 (both FC) the Mrs’s car was £178 .. none of these on any multicar policy.
    Though the renewal for my main car was taken via Paypal without my agreement, which was odd but ultimately fine because I need insurance and had forgotten the renewal date..

rascal
    Free Member

Admiral wanted £781 for renewal – they came down a bit when I contacted them but nowhere near enough.
    Got both cars done elsewhere with same cover for £540 in the end. Bye bye Admiral!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Has your car insurance gone up?’ is closed to new replies.