Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Has your boss ever told you they feel threatened by you? How to respond?
  • brooess
    Free Member

My last boss told me he felt threatened when I gave a presentation they’d asked me to prepare for interview. By this I think he meant the quality of my analysis and thinking that made up the presentation.

To cut a long story short this was a few weeks before I was unceremoniously dumped from the company because a) I wasn’t doing a good enough job and b) Head of Dept didn’t rate me.

Now there was a lot I wanted to respond to like if they’d told me the company was such a mess and the job and culture so pressured and chaotic that I wouldn’t have taken the job in the first place because I knew I wouldn’t perform well in that environment. But either way I think his comment goes some way to explaining why I made myself so unpopular and I’m keen to learn from it and avoid it in the future. I’ve asked for proper feedback and received none from him…

So any thoughts how to learn from this and avoid in future?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Work on a good relationship with your Manager’s Manager.

hels
    Free Member

So, your assessment is that you were fired as you were too good at your job ?? Some damn fine rationalisation there, if you want the view of complete stranger on t’internet who has never met you, and clearly you do or you wouldn’t have asked.

It is very hard to get genuine feedback on work performance. If you have any friends in the organisation buy them a drink and try and get some honest answers.

GrahamS

*bing bong* TJ to the thread please…

Stuey01
    Free Member

Work on a good relationship with your Manager’s Manager.

+1 Good advice.

Sounds like your boss was shite. Any boss should want talented employees as the boss is judged on the output of their whole team, not just themselves. I love having talented self motivated people work for me, particularly people with initiative who don’t need to be told exactly what to do the whole time.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Youwant to hear “join a union?”

I got sacked from a job because my manager felt threatened by me. Cost them thousands

willard

My ex-wife got forced out of a job because her boss thought she was too cheerful and chatty to work there. It cost them a fair bit.

brooess
    Free Member

I don’t think my manager’s manager liked me much either. And no I don’t think I was too good at my job. I hated it and didn’t think it suited me at all, or was the job it was supposed to be.
    What I think I got wrong was some politics somewhere. I got a lot of good feedback from senior people who I subsequently found out were giving my boss’s boss a good kicking. I don’t think that helped my case tbh.
    And I have friends who are very senior in HR who advised me at the time, no law was broken in fact. In any case I’d rather find a new job and move on…

TooTall
    Free Member

One of my bosses a few years ago advised me not to stand up when people came into my office as I might intimidate them.

Silly man.

avdave2

I got sacked from a job because my manager felt threatened by me. Cost them thousands

Worth every penny! 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

j_me
    Free Member

I got sacked from a job because my manager felt threatened by me. Cost them you the tax payer thousands

FTFY
    😉

backhander
    Free Member

An old boss was actually threatened by me. Only once though and he deserved it.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you’re so good that the boss genuinely did feel threatened by you, what are you doing in half arsed jobs, you should be applying for those management jobs.
    NEVER by-pass your direct boss and go directly to your boss’s boss, next stop dolesville.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

It happens.

I had one manager who didn’t employ me but another manager did and he felt threatened straight away and gave me a tough time.

He merged two depts together after I showed him and the MD that stats were doomed to failure.

I left before he could sack me. The company lost millions and folded 3 months later and a few hundred staff lost their jobs the twerp.

Now I would just:

A) Apply for the higher job in the first place as stated earlier.
    B) Or build good relationships in the first place.
    C) Work for yourself.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yes.

donsimon
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Yes.
    I think he’s talking from a professional point of view. 😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

I got sacked from a job because my manager felt threatened by me

More likely because he threatened you. I suspect anyone on STW would sympathise with him…

On the original posters comment – without knowing the manager in question (or the poster) it’s not possible to give an answer. For all we know the manager’s comment was a jokey one, or he was responding in a positive/encouraging fashion to a one-off circumstance where he thought the poster actually did a good job.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

j-me – wrong. Not a taxpayer funded outfit.

j_me
    Free Member

fair cop – apologies 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nae worries

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Has your boss ever told you they feel threatened by you? How to respond?’ is closed to new replies.