Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Has your woodpile had a fright this winter?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s relative at McMoonter Towers, but this shed has had a fright.

Schoolboy design error means I have to empty it before it can be refilled. I no longer have access to the saw mill waste, I’m keen to see if the split logs burn more efficiently. That said a lot of the sawmill waste was hardwood.

How is you stash surviving this winter?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Our stock for this year has been completely used up. 😥 Luckily it’s for our fireplace and not our only form of heating. I have managed to *ahem* procure some wood from the building site opposite where we live as they have been cutting down the trees like there is no tomorrow.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mine has had a fright. Mrs nbitf has worked out how to use the wood burner, so I’ve used almost double what I usually do! No more does the stove lie cold when I am at work….

teasel
    Free Member

A fright…?! It’s positively dead. I’ve had to order-in a load for Saturday.

*spits*

Edit : It’s my only form of heating so needs must and all that…

footflaps

Any idea how many tonnes you use per winter mcmoonter?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I get all my wood from work to burn on a little 5kw burner and I’ve struggled to keep stocked up this year. That’s also with a bag of coal a week.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im out as well, im bringing home greenwood a load at a time from the woods , they are felling for the sawmill and leaving the off cuts at their arse in the woods i run in. Go for a post work run and load up the boot of the frontera 😉

richmars

Almost 100%. It’s been cold but dry, so I’ve been cutting down some dead trees and using that straight away.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Any idea how many tonnes you use per winter mcmoonter?

I don’t really know, it’s more volume as I don’t buy wood by the ton. It will be a lot of cubic metres, but the stoves are on all day throughout the winter. Then, the winters seem to last through summer too.

Wild guess 10 -12 cubic metres for four or five months?

EDIT it can’t be that much.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I reckon if I set aside one morning a month, usually on my back shift week, I can head out with the trailer hooked up and chainsaw in the boot and fill both car and trailer. A lot of my local rides are spent looking for windfall or the likes which is close to a road and easily ‘liberated’. This monthly load sees me through the year, no problem. Ideally, I always have 2 years worth of wood stacked, so that I’m just topping up.

I usually use anywhere from 4-8m3 per year, although 8m3 is a bit extreme, but as I said in the earlier post, mrs has worked out how to use the stove, and also that she can dry washing in front of it as well!.

It’s amazing how much wood is lying around when you look, I live on the coast and haven’t had to resort to beach combing yet, as many people round here seem to do. After a storm the beach at prestwick is like a chainsaw frenzy!.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Greig, you’d love the Washington coastline.

[u]

TheBrick
    Free Member

What is that from the Japan earthquake?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What is that from the Japan earthquake?

No I think it’s mostly local stuff that has been eroded from the shoreline. It could also float down from BC and Alaska.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Escapees from the logging operations in the NW too. We have family up there (on Whidbey island). Fantastic place, very bike friendly too… The trails at Galbraith (aka transition bikes local patch) and surrounding area are great, loads of stunning riding from shore stuff to xc loops. Well worth a trip. You been mcmoonter?

br
    Free Member

We’ve used loads and I’ve had to buy it in to get dry stuff as we’ve only been in since the late summer.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Well worth a trip. You been mcmoonter?

Yep, I’ve biked around the San Juans and around the Olympic Peninsula down to Oregon. It is one of the most rugged beautiful places ever. I should have visited the Hoh Rain Forest and Hurricane Ridge. I’ve got friends in Portland and Seattle, I hope to get back sometime soon.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Has your woodpile had a fright this winter?’ is closed to new replies.