Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 285 total)
  • Has VPP had it's day?
  • give us some more quality comment then

OK, I’ll have a go then.
    There seems to be two factors being discussed here. Pedal bob and overall suspension performance.

I bought a VPP frame solely to eliminate pedal bob and was impressed with how well it worked. Is there any other linkage that does the same job equally well.
    It looks to me like the only linkage that uses the chain tension to counteract the weight on the pedals.
    Have I missed something ?

trailertrash

My point is that “feels fast” =/= “fast”

I agree. At last. There is a god.

which seems to be the basis of your position

aaarrrghhh. I haven’t said that, this is the first time I’ve mentioned it, and we, amazingly, agree.

dans160
    Free Member

No.

trailertrash

I bought a VPP frame solely to eliminate pedal bob and was impressed with how well it worked. Is there any other linkage that does the same job equally well.

The technical paper on DW link says it achieves the same result without using chain tension, through pivot and linkage configuration. This apparently (and it would) has the added advantage of reducing chain snatch which certainly used to be a problem on VPP v1.

dans160
    Free Member

what’s chainsnatch then?

trailertrash

what’s chainsnatch then?

I’ve probably used the wrong term, that’s what it’s called in motorcyling, I think. pedal feedback?

Hold on a minute.
    I wasn’t even sure what a DW link was, so I found this.
    http://www.dw-link.com/physics.html

.” When a bicycle accelerates forward, the rider’s mass is transferred rearward. Without something to counteract this mass transfer, the rear suspension on most bicycles will compress under acceleration. This mass transfer as a reaction to acceleration is what riders have come to know as “bob.”

That’s not pedal bob, that’s just weight transfer.
    If I pedal up hill at a constant speed on a full sus, the bike bounces up and down with each pedal stroke.
    It’s got nothing to do with acceleration, it’s all about the varying weight on the pedals.

trailertrash

The acceleration of the bike and rider is proportional to chain tension, which varies with crank rotation, so your acceleration varies like a sine wave, and so does the resulting bobbing of your suspension, caused by this variation in acceleration. This is why you get less bob with spds – there is less difference in power transfer to the bike around the full crank revolution. At least that’s how I understand it.

What I can’t work out though is whether Dave Weagle means a real mass transfer as in your torso moving back and forth as you pedal, or a theoretical one due to the acceleration.

I am not sure where pushing on the pedals gets factored in. but you’re right, the vertical force must have a reaction and that, ultimately mus come through the wheels and suspension….

adeward
    Free Member

isnt the rearward movement of the mass actualy a rotation about the rear wheel axle

http://www.bikechecker.com/ follow the link to get your own version of the linkage software,,

Linkage is a powerful and easy-to-use while still well-featured 2D suspension analysis software for Windows systems, focusing on mountain bikes, but also capable of simulating other linkages.
    Linkage also provides a user-extensible web library of bike models to help bike-enthusiasts compare different designs or publish their own ones. Linkage comes with data files for many bike designs already on the market (or past models).

Main features:

simulation of all popular full-suspension bike frame systems from single-pivot swingarm to four-bar linkages with additional shock driving linkage (“6-bar linkage”)
    calculation of linkage forces by a kinematic model, allowing different shock-setups
    front fork movement simulation for examining different scenarios
    comparisons allowed on diagrams to easily recognize differences between different designs
    multi-window working environment with numeric or mouse input
    creating new designs quickly using photos
    export all results in high-resolution graphical or text formats
    calculation of chain related changes, as well as “pedal-kickback”
    more than 60 existing designs included

I have used this a lot to compare designs and to design from scratch much quicker than the old string models i used to use back in the late 90’s

the pedal feedback is especialy interesting as you can click and drag to move pivot points as well as changing chainring sizes etc

so there you go,,, i will have just ruined your families christmas as you will be glued to your computer screen for the rest of the night comparing vpp bikes with single pivot bikes lots of rubbing chins and going hmmmm

trailertrash

fab 😀 nice one Ade

The acceleration of the bike and rider is proportional to chain tension…

Not if you’re riding up an increasing gradient, in to an increasing headwind or through deepening mud it isn’t.
    Chain tension will increase while speed decreases.

I just read http://www.dw-link.com/reasons.html#
    There is so much nonsense on that page I don’t know where to begin.
    Do people really spend £1000+ on a frame based on this pseudo-science ?

trailertrash

hmmmm…you’re right [edit]…hang on…

what I was referring to was the variation of chain tension in one rotation of the pedals, not overall working harder

… so your acceleration varies like a sine wave, and so does the resulting bobbing of your suspension, caused by this variation in acceleration.

I understand what you’re saying there, I just feel that the vertical force of the rider lunging on the pedals with each stroke is going to have far more effect on the suspension than the variations in the horizontal force of acceleration.

hmmmm…you’re right.

You’re not supposed to say that. You’re supposed to start arguing. This is STW remember.

trailertrash

it’s ok, I editted… 🙂

trailertrash

I just feel that the vertical force of the rider lunging on the pedals with each stroke is going to have far more effect on the suspension than the variations in the horizontal force of acceleration.

yes i think that’s the elephant in the room here and probably what cynic-al was referring to in his bit about smoothing out pedalling technique. you can’t do much about that in suspension design I don’t think.

phil.w
    Free Member

Is it not the case that pivot placement is the most important thing rather than the system used?

i.e. pick any system, vpp/horst/sp, and design it well and it will work but put the pivots in the wrong place and it will be terrible.

adeward
    Free Member

have you ever noticed that when you get to a certain cadence you can make a hardtail bob,, i dont think it’s speed related but cadence related

but you can use chain tension to inhibit this

on a single pivot bike it’s basicly the height of the pivot if the pivot is above the point where the chain meets the front ring then the rear suspension will tend to extend

if it is below the point where the chain meets the front ring then the suspension will tend to compress

now a vpp bike can be summed up as a single pivot bike with a pivot position that moves around so the virtual pivot position moves depending on the swinging arm position and the postion of the linkages supporting it

cynic-al
    Free Member

“on a single pivot bike it ‘s basicly the height of
    the pivot if the pivot is above the point where
    the chain meets the front ring then the rear
    suspension will tend to extend
    if it is below the point where the chain meets
    the front ring then the suspension will tend to
    compress”

sorry mate this is just incorrect!
    family visiting shortly but I’ll try to explain if I get a chance…bet you can’t wait!

TT…happy to agree!

adeward
    Free Member

sorry mate this is just incorrect!
    family visiting shortly but I’ll try to explain if I get a chance…bet you can’t wait!

you right i cant wait to see your explaination

trailertrash

oh jesus…this could get messy 😯

if the pivot is above the point where the chain meets the front ring then the rear suspension will tend to extend

if it is below the point where the chain meets the front ring then the suspension will tend to compress

I get this and sort of agree with it.
    If you imagine the points where the chain meets the chainring and sprocket and the pivot point as the three corners of a triangle, then the tension on the chain in isolation will tend to raise or lower the suspension as described. Shortening one side of a triangle affects the angles.
    I still think this force is negligible in relation to the rider’s weight on the pedals though, so it makes no difference..

adeward
    Free Member

chain tension is proprtional to load on the pedals and depends on which gear you are in ,,

It only depends on which gear you are in with derailleurs, which is why I mentioned earlier that I used a Rohloff on a VPP Blur.
    Hub gears are an advantage in that situation.

adeward
    Free Member

It only depends on which gear you are in with derailleurs

this has got me thinking,, i have an alfine on my whyte preston fs bike,,

as the front and rear rings are constant with hub gears and hammersmit then the amount of feedback are the same in respect to the position of the chainpull and pivot position
    but the amount of feedback is also a result of chain tension and wouldnt this depend on which gear you are in

I was going to say that chain tension is entirely dependant on pedal pressure, but a Hammerschmit would alter that.

clubber
    Free Member

As quoted earlier:

http://www.dw-link.com/physics.html
    .” When a bicycle accelerates forward, the rider’s mass is transferred rearward. Without something to counteract this mass transfer, the rear suspension on most bicycles will compress under acceleration. This mass transfer as a reaction to acceleration is what riders have come to know as “bob.”

It’s badly worded IMO because mass doesn’t really shift rearward if until the suspension moves (usually and then only by a small amount) but really he’s talking about how momentum is important to consider, not just simple chain/braking forces.

The rider and everything bar the rear suspension have the majority of the mass and therefore momentum. What DW is talking about is that if you drive the rear wheel even on a design that has no chain forces having ANY effect on the suspension (eg main pivot concentric about the bb) you’ll still get bob on most designs because the rear axle will drive the frame forward and this will activate the suspension one way or another. Imagine fixing a frame solidly fixed at the main frame so it can’t move. Remove the shock and then push the dropout horizontally – almost any design will either compress or extend the suspension and even if it was a single pivot in line with the rear axle or four bar it’d still only be completely unaffected in one position through it’s travel.

To eliminate the effect of chain tension,the pivot would need to be at the point where the chain meets the chainring, not at the centre of the BB.
    At least with a hub gear the difference between the two is constant.
    Any linkage that is designed to take chain tension in to account can’t work properly on all three rings of a derailleur.

I see your point about the rear axle driving the mass forward, but under load the majority of the mass will be concentrated on the forward pedal travelling downwards in an arc, first forward and then back. I still think this is by far the greatest force on the suspension and will not be affected by the driving force its self.

clubber
    Free Member

Mtqg nope bb concentric will do it and work the same in all rings which is why I used that example rather than in line with pivot examples.

I still think this is by far the greatest force on the suspension and will not be affected by the driving force its self.

But that force is also driving the rear wheel isn’t it… You’re suggesting that pedalling forces are much bigger than drive forces which can only bs true if the efficiency is very low. Bike drivechains aren’t very inefficient so it can’t be true…

adeward
    Free Member

pivot concentric to bb gives zero chain growth so should have no effect on suspension

trailertrash

pivot concentric to bb gives zero chain growth so should have no effect on suspension

I’m sure you have done the trials, but for a chainring & cassette setup with a swingarm pivot at the bb and the chain big ring/small sprocket for example, dropping the rear axle will tension the chain, they form a triangle. Or am I getting terms confused?

trailertrash

I see your point about the rear axle driving the mass forward, but under load the majority of the mass will be concentrated on the forward pedal travelling downwards in an arc, first forward and then back. I still think this is by far the greatest force on the suspension and will not be affected by the driving force its self.

The majority of the mass is normally on the saddle. However, if you stand on the pedals what you say is true. Needs to be borne in mind though that it’s change in force that causes bobbing, and the suspension is already supporting your body weight, so simply standing on the pedals does not immediately apply more force to the suspension. It might cause that force to vary more as you lunge about, but that’s a different and problem. You can only push down on the pedal buy your own body weight plus how hard you can pull up on the bars and up on the other pedal after all.

A BB concentric pivot means the suspension has no effect on chain growth.
    Chain tension will still have an effect on suspension though.
    The line of force through the chain is above the pivot, so it will pull the swinging arm in that direction.

You’re suggesting that pedalling forces are much bigger than drive forces which can only bs true if the efficiency is very low

You’ve almost got me admitting I’m wrong here, but I’m not ready to give in yet. 😛

Gears multiply force or speed.
    In any gear higher than 1:1 the downward force on the pedals will be greater than the forward force on the frame.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m sure you have done the trails, but for a chainring & cassette setup with a swingarm pivot at the bb and the chain big ring/small sprocket for example, dropping the rear axle will tension the chain, they form a triangle.

No it won’t! How could it? (ok, other than a tiny change due to the mech jockey not being concentric too)

clubber
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member
    A BB concentric pivot means the suspension has no effect on chain growth.
    Chain tension will still have an effect on suspension though.
    The line of force through the chain is above the pivot, so it will pull the swinging arm in that direction.

Nope. You need chain growth for chain tension to matter…

trailertrash

They form a triangle mate. The chain goes from the top of the chainring back to a point very near the rear axle, the chainstay goes from the alxle to the bb and then add a line from the bb to the top of the chainring. you get a triangle. drop the axle and you tension the chain. no?

clubber
    Free Member

You know what concentric means, right. I don’t mean a pivot near the bb, I mean around the bb. Again, concentric means no chain growth so chain tension is irrelevant.

ahwiles
    Free Member

trailer – no.

the wheel is free to rotate independently of the swing arm oh forget it i give up.

The majority of the mass is normally on the saddle

If we’re talking about situations where pedal bob is a problem, then there will be more mass on the pedals, even when seated.
    The mass may be constant, but the weight isn’t.
    Stand on your bathroom scales, then bend and straighten your legs quickly.
    The dial will jump about all over the place.
    That’s what bike suspension has to deal with

I think there’s some confusion over the use of the phrase “chain tension”.
    A concentric BB pivot won’t affect tension as regards slack in the chain.
    I’m referring to the tension, or force, in the top run of the chain.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 285 total)

The topic ‘Has VPP had it's day?’ is closed to new replies.