Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Has there been a massive increase in cycling related eye injuries recently?
  • yunki
    Free Member

I scratched my cornea on a holly leaf once, also whilst going for a piss..
    It was **** agony

What goggles for taking a slash?

grum
    Free Member

If I see a potential eye-threatening trail hazard coming up I just quickly whip out one of these, unpackage it and hold it up to whichever eye seems most likely to get hurt.

Works fine, don’t know why anyone uses glasses or goggles TBH.

Northwind

It’s not really about eye injuries is it? It’s about visibility. Same as people say “Why have you got a mudguard on, afraid to get a dirty face?” “No, I like being able to see”

STW gets annoyed at people riding how they want to shocker…

Harry_the_Spider

Binbins… didn’t you turn up to a BMX session with a pair stuck to your lid?

gazc
    Free Member

i met some bloke doing the sustrans C2C a few months ago who was wearing goggles together with full colour co-ordinated troy lee attire & riding a hybrid thing with panniers – no 27.5inch wheels in sight! plus it was dry with no rain & no mud. shame he was a nice guy otherwise would be easy to call him a twunt

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Look a bigger tit if you lose your eye sight. Do t wear googles but Oakleys, clear in winter dark summer. It’s the crap coming up from the wheels and the odd bush, branch and bramble that they have saved me from. If your off piste in woods forest they make sense. Besides its a free country wear what you like

andyrm
    Free Member

I always have goggles on back of my helmet ready for DH sections both open and in the woods. I get watery eyes and that in turn loses speed. I’ve actually measured times and the clock doesn’t lie.

Fact is, for me at least, goggles stop my eyes watering up like they do in glasses, which in turn lets me go considerably faster. Extra eye protection is also good as well.

Plenty of people ride all day where they go up a hill, stop, get ready, blast down, get sorted, ride back along/up and repeat. Slightly different way of riding than non stop XC.

digga
    Free Member

Given that even goggles aren’t guaranteed to stop 100% of shit, all of the time (ask anyone whose rides DH), glasses – however fancy and cycle-specific – are always going to be worse.

Especially if you ride off piste or in woods, rather than rockier or man-made stuff, you’re eventually going to have some dirt/eye interface with just glasses. Then there’s the wind and eye watering issues.

Why not wear goggles if people want to?

Northwind

digga – Member

Why not wear goggles if people want to?

Because we raised the matter with the Council of Binners and he ruled against.

IdleJon

Saccades – Member

If we are doing a more “enduro” spin I’d take them with me for the downs, pain in the bum for long ranging xc rides though.

Do people really define rides as being ‘enduro’ or not? I thought it was just a race format?

Saccades
    Free Member

bit of a necro post but, yes.

If we are going to practice the local Enduro trails prior to a race I’ll take them.

If we are going for bog std spin I won’t.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Has there been a massive increase in cycling related eye injuries recently?’ is closed to new replies.