Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Has the radio inspired you to buy any music of late?
  • Mentioned them in the other thread, but heard Cage The Elephant on Zane Lowe the other night, which inspired me to listen to snippets – now sat listening to the full album after downloading off Amazon.

Have a listen to their new single too, which isn’t on the album – Shake Me Down.

Also tried Various Cruelties, but can’t seem to find an album for them.

Grouplove sounded ok on the radio too, but listening to bits of them, I think they might sound too ‘American’ for my liking.

Oh, and the Cage The Elephant album was £2 cheaper on Amazon than iTunes – is this the case for most stuff on iTunes?

Junkyard
    Free Member

no i have loads of classical music thanks

clubber
    Free Member

Follow the Light by Sub Focus – heard it on Zane Lowe when he was doing the breakfast show the other week.

Bully for you Junkyard.

Doesn’t that get a bit monotonous? I have the odd classical piece and can listen to Classic FM if I want to relax whilst driving, but my collection needs to be more eclectic than one genre.

Del

bought album ‘maximum balloon’ by david sitek after hearing one tune on Tom Ravenscroft the other week. did my research on spotify, which took me to a basement jaxx album i didn’t know about ( zephyr ), and then into some of tricky’s latest stuff, and then onto terranova.
    new ( to me ) music agogo!

Kevevs
    Free Member

what is this “buy” of which you speak?

lodious
    Free Member

bought album ‘maximum balloon’ by david sitek

Have you heard TV on the Radio? Class band…well worth checking out.

DezB
    Free Member

Not since Mary Anne Hobbs got a new job… 😥

Although I have heard random snippets of some ok Grime-based pop on Radio 1 – Devlin I think it was. Not the sort of thing I’d buy, but it was pretty decent.

sadexpunk

heard ‘get over you’ by the undertones again on 6music the other day so downloaded the album. its playing right now 🙂

Kevevs – Member
    what is this “buy” of which you speak?

Yeah, it’s called giving musicians a living.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

not specific artists or albums but i discovered the delights of bbc radio 6, specifically jarvis cocker, tom robinson and cerys matthews shows on the iplayer a few months back.

ourmaninthenorth

Zola Jesus – heard on 6Music by chance (given I don’t get to listen to the radio at home).

I did just buy a few new albums the other day, but haven’t listed to them or uploaded to PC/iPod yet. Life of a new parent….

Beach House – Teen Dream
    Zola Jesus – Stridulum II
    Nina Nastasia – Outlaster

Er, and some others the names of which I’ve already forgotten (it was one of the those 8 album/£50 splurges one does on a whim given 5 mins of free time near a record shop..!) I’ll report back in full.

ourmaninthenorth

Doesn’t that get a bit monotonous? I have the odd classical piece and can listen to Classic FM if I want to relax whilst driving, but my collection needs to be more eclectic than one genre.

Yuo’re missing lots of wonderful music. Avoid ClassicFM – it goes in for that type of “well known”, “relaxing” type of background classical music. Radio 3 is a much better bet – the recent Mozart season was excellent.

Oh, and “classical” is a generice term to cover a huge number of genres. Oh, and shouldn’t just be restricted to the established European composers.

DezB
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Give Glasser a listen. Similar vocals to ZJ. bit less “gothy” Link

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I had to buy a new radio, as Ellie Goulding inspired me to put my foot through the old one.

yunki
    Free Member

no…

ourmaninthenorth

DezB – cheers

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not since Mary Anne Hobbs got a new job…

Poor excuse – what about Benji B, Gilles Peterson, etc – they play a lot of the same music and I would argue are better Djs anyway – her self-congratulating laughing was really starting to wind me up.

Agreed, I won’t really miss the hobgoblin

[/mark & lard target audience reference]

DezB
    Free Member

Poor excuse – what about Benji B

I wish – but he plays that damn jingle all the time.. “bip bip bip bip bibbibbip” What? FFS in between and during every damn track. That is not my idea of a good DJ. An arse more like.

_tom_
    Free Member

No but youtube has.. rediscovered The Cooper Temple Clause.. got 2 of their cds from play.com for £6, bargain!

TheFlyingOx

I’m more of a Spotify person. Before I came out to work I was ambling around in there and went from London Elektricity to Zuco 103 to 16 Bit Lolitas to the Anjunadeep trance albums to Brian Transeau. These are all now downloaded on the phone and are helping me through the long, boring nights.

I loves Spotify.

CountZero

When I have the opportunity to listen to 6Music, which isn’t as often as I’d like, but anyway, I’m constantly firing up Shazam to find out and list new stuff for later reference. Zola Jesus is just one I’ve discovered recently.
    I saw Cage The Elephant as support a while back and bought the album, but wasn’t impressed and swapped it for something else. 6Music is brilliant for finding new stuff.
    <edit> Just had a look at Shazam, and these are recent tags:
    Punching In A Dream : The Naked And Famous
    White Nights: The Golden Filter
    You Know You’re Not Dead: Broken Records
    Learning To Ride: Caitlin Rose
    The District Sleeps Alone Tonight: The Postal Service
    The Hair Song: Black Mountain
    Civilian: Wye Oak
    Buy Nothing Day: The Go! Team
    Gay Pirates: Cosmo Jarvis
    Horses: DaLa

househusband

ourmaninthenorth; ditto with Zola Jesus after hearing it on 6music!

cmjct
    Free Member

Zane Lowe does break some good stuff every now and then… I love the Laughing Light Of Plenty. He’s quite restricted by the format I think. Here’s an interesting interview with the dude http://bit.ly/huVBX4

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Has the radio inspired you to buy any music of late?’ is closed to new replies.