Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Has the new Scottoiler thing been done yet?
  • mcj78
    Free Member

Linkasaurus

£130 for the earlybird deal on kickstarter – looks nifty but would you get one at that price? Suppose it might be useful for marathon races / longer rides or even for guides etc. that use their bike every day for extended periods but would it tempt you for “regular” use?

j

deviant
    Free Member

About the same price as the motorcycle systems too!….I rode for years without a Scottoiler and never needed to change the chain, sprockets etc….my mileage on a motorbike used to be around 1000 miles per month and provided I lubed the chain weekly everything was fine, seems overkill for me on a MTB.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Scottoiler UBS, but wouldn’t be tempted by that at a tenth of the price. That said, I am nowhere near the target market.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve started using their FS365 stuff as a chain lube, due to RnR no longer being available. Early signs are good, Although the impending wet manky weather will be the true test.

Cheap as chips.

mcj78
    Free Member

I suppose in race situations every little helps but I can’t help but think that all the trail crap thrown onto even a clean, properly lubed chain would have more of an impact on chain friction than the absolute optimal lubrication vs a quick blast of whatever’s in the boot of the car onto a slightly grubby chain at a trail centre car park – come on we’ve all done it at some point 😳

legend
    Free Member

I thought kick-starter was meant for new companies?

EDIT: may be linking Scotoil and Scotoiler when it’s not the case

wwaswas

It removes risk from the business of funding the tooling and initial production run of a product.

I think for small/medium companies with limited cash flow or a ‘is there a market’ product it’s a very useful way of establishing demand and reducing risk.

Just becuase the bloke who owns a company is loaded it doesn’t mean there’s cash in the company to pay for this…

mcj78
    Free Member

I’ve been using the UBS stuff on my ht for a few weeks – seems pretty good – even gave it a proper dunking through a stream without many complaints – thought I could ride through it, WRONG – was worried it would wash off with the first splash through a puddle but seems more resilient than I imagined, will give it a go on the commuter soon as i’ve just changed the chain so it doesn’t need touching yet.

Is the FS365 similar to the UBS?

J

kcr
    Free Member

I use the old school manual Scottoiler with the squeezy squid on my commuter, and like it because it makes winter chain maintenance less of a chore.
    I’m not sure that automatic delivery is a killer feature, and I don’t think they are going to convince enough people to give it a punt at that price.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Nobeer, the FS365 will work just great during the winter. I’ve been using it about 4 years now, and had their bike system for a few years on the commuter before that. I wash the bike with a normal hose after riding, then apply some to the chain, cassette and mech with a skoosh, then sometimes a drop of lawnmower oil on the chain and put the bike away. It takes seconds, and next time out the drivechain really doesn’t get mucky. When the next ride’s finished I just repeat, light rinse with a hose, reapply, easy.

dragon
    Free Member

I’m amazed they are still trying to sell this utter guff 20 odd years after the manual system appeared in the mags.

lovewookie

Think it’s damn pricy which will kill the idea. I can see it being useful on a commuter, or on solo 6/12/24 hour races as one less thing to think about, and I do think there’s more of a market now, with the more endurance orientated races, bikepacking and micro-adventures becoming popular (now that they have a funky hashtag). however, I think the old version will do the job adequately and can still be had on here

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Has the new Scottoiler thing been done yet?’ is closed to new replies.