Viewing 13 posts - 161 through 173 (of 173 total)
  • Has the fatbike bubble finally burst ?
  • nedrapier

odd that they couldn’t shave a bit more weight off those Apaches – plenty of nobblies lighter than 1220g

stanfree
    Free Member

I think I see more fatbikes now than ever, If by the bubble bursting means they are mainstream maybe so. I bought a cheap one and did the usual upgrades and had good fun on it but not enough fun that it was really that different to my regular mtb. With limited space I’d rather have a mtb , roadbike and cx / tourer. That said each to their own , all bikes are good are good for mental / physical health and the environment.Like any sport or recreation there are the snobs who may look down on the dune or wazoo riders who are having just as much fun as the 3k carbon fatbike riders. I’d imagine as fatbikes become as popular as regular bikes there will be a few misty eyed bloggers bleeting about things being better in the old days with horrible geometry and anchor weighted bikes.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You had a fatbike? I couldn’t see past the hideous checked shorts and jacket combo.

scotroutes

That happened almost right away. Lots of stuff about the likes of Trek and Specialized having no “heritage” in fatbiking. As has been pointed out, I just rejoiced in the increased choice of tyres and components at prices that didn’t make your eyes bleed.

mcnultycop

What was the ‘bubble’?

There were no commercial fatbikes out there, then there were a few, now there are some and some plus bikes. A bubble would imply there were millions of them, I hardly see any and still get loads of comments from MTBers or otherwise.

scotroutes

Re-read the first post on this thread.

sq225917
    Free Member

I had a real holy shit moment this morning when checking out the price of fat bike tyres, most really are ridiculously expensive, that’s low volume production for you. Spinning a new tyre isn’t cheap, mould costs are over 10k and MOQs are multi thousand. That’s the price of being a niche I guess.

On-One isn’t getting out of fat bikes. It just happens that we’ve run out of fatty trail frames at the same time as fat bike hubs. For some reason, every man and his dog bought them during december/january and we’ve blown through the stock.

They’ll be back.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Second, the whole attention grabbing thing is my least favourite aspect of fatbikes

the flipside is that they are so entertaining to the non-biker that they kill stone-dead any anti-biker reaction or sentiment. Loads of times we’ve come across a group of walkers, and you can see that instant reactive tension/hostility disappear. They are so non-threatening, and you can’t even appear to be able to take yourself seriously on one, it’s the 2-wheeled equivalent of a puppy. I’ll take “ooh it look’s like a monster truck!” to “SLOW DOWN WILL NO ONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!”

dovebiker

I agree, for whatever reason a fatbike doesn’t seem to raise the hackles as much of the bobble-hat brigade

motozulu
    Free Member

I hope the bubble has burst.

I want to be niche again.

luff
    Free Member

I’m fairly new to riding (2 years) and have just ordered a Cube Nutrail. The guy I ride with takes his fat bike wherever we go, over all terrain and in all weather around the Surrey Hills and to be honest he never struggles, point the thing downhill though and I can’t keep up.

Really looking forward to getting mine next week!

prawny

On-One isn’t getting out of fat bikes. It just happens that we’ve run out of fatty trail frames at the same time as fat bike hubs. For some reason, every man and his dog bought them during december/january and we’ve blown through the stock.

They’ll be back.

This makes me happy.

And also I bit sad, because I bought something other than a fatbike assuming I wouldnt be able to get reasonably priced replacement bits 😡

jonnyboi

Looks like Halfords have stopped selling the voodoo wazooo….

Viewing 13 posts - 161 through 173 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Has the fatbike bubble finally burst ?’ is closed to new replies.