Viewing 26 posts - 281 through 306 (of 306 total)
  • Has STW suddenly become a lot more polarised?
  • Woody
    Free Member

I’ve written about 8 different responses to this thread after reading it this morning

I think that proves how seriously many take this forum, and the fact that a response has to be considered to that extent proves that this is indeed real life.

TBH after the first couple of pages and the usual arguments started with the usual suspects, I really didn’t have the time or inclination to post but having dipped into this page, I have to say that I have been very disappointed with the responses (particularly on FB) by several work colleagues. Some of the comments hark back to the 70’s eg. “if they are not happy here why don’t they go home”. Not surprised really, as the attitudes still adopted by the ‘hard of thinking’ are so entrenched and so far behind the times it defies belief.

Sad, disappointing and pathetic.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i dont get why people need to troll *or what they get from it. There are enough strong minded,articulate and opinionated posters on here to get a decent debate. I see little reason for people thinking they can say anything they want for a reaction because the internet is not real. I see even less reason why I should debate an issue with them given their view is “it is not real”, I dont mean it and I am saying this for a reaction.

* why would you debate something you dont actually believe just for the reaction. It seems to me a quite sad thing to do tbh.
    I dont get the “real life” bit either tbh. Everything I do in life is real as it actually happens unless I just think it in which case it is not real. the fact I can read your thoughts articulated by your words posted on a public forum for all to read would seem to make it “real”.
    I may put more weight to different parts of this “real” experience but that doe snot mean I am not myself when doing any of them and just playing a role for effect.
    This has been done to death and Marks view, and I agree is that this is public and real. It is the difference between telling a story to your mates in a pub or standing at the bar and telling the whole pub.

donsimon
    Free Member

What are the usual arguments and who are the usual suspects?
    Do we have a list?

UTA= Up the Arsenal?

uplink
    Free Member

who are the usual suspects?

see the ‘Big Hitters’ thread 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Sorry to continue with the hating but I totally agree with this

Whereas Elfin responds to the most random things in threads by picking a post apart for any implied nasty-ism, either deliberately to start a fight or, if he’s not a troll which is against the forum rules, then it’s evidence he’s sensitive and clever enough to understand that certain things can be implied without being written as a direct statement.

When I first joined the forum I, like many others, had a lot of time for Elfin, even offered him a free bottom bracket when he came to the first swinley party. But as uplink has proved… there appears to be no real conviction behind what he types on here, shame as most of the time it would appear he’s coming from a good place with good intentions

Elfin is the bain of this forum I think. aside from the architecture threads most of his contribution is negative and either involves direct or implied insults, usually about the level of a posters intelligence. These are always combined with a level of arrogance and an attempt to claim the moral highground and when challenged on anything the usual responce if not an insult is to ask the poster to go lie down and re-read what he wrote as they may learn something. This type of behaviour is probably not too disruptive if it was from someone with an average post count, but from such a prolific poster it becomes disruptive.

jackthedog
    Free Member

TBH after the first couple of pages and the usual arguments started with the usual suspects, I really didn’t have the time or inclination to post but having dipped into this page, I have to say that I have been very disappointed with the responses (particularly on FB) by several work colleagues. Some of the comments hark back to the 70’s eg. “if they are not happy here why don’t they go home”. Not surprised really, as the attitudes still adopted by the ‘hard of thinking’ are so entrenched and so far behind the times it defies belief.

Sad, disappointing and pathetic.

I too have been genuinely shocked by many people’s responses to these events.

The amount of bigoted, simplistic, xenophobic, ill conceived, blinkered, paranoid, aggressive reactionary crap spewed from the mouths of many I previously thought to be sensible, free thinking adult human beings depressed me as much as the lunacy that took place on the streets.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m a bloody Spurs fan, FFS.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m a bloody Spurs fan, FFS.

Well.

That’s that then.

hels
    Free Member

I haven’t read all the replies, but my immediate response would have to be Yes and No.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jamie – are you a gooner?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I too have been genuinely shocked by many people’s responses to these events.

The amount of bigoted, simplistic, xenophobic, ill conceived, blinkered, paranoid, aggressive reactionary crap spewed from the mouths of many I previously thought to be sensible, free thinking adult human beings depressed me as much as the lunacy that took place on the streets. And this is where the polarisation comes in. Some of us say these things and some abhor them.

djglover – Member

Elfin is the bain of this forum I think.

His contributions clearly infuriate some and he is very forthright in his view. However there are many others with afar more negative effect than him. Oh – and its “bane” is it not 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

However there are many others with afar more negative effect than him

Care to elaborate because I’m buggered at a loss to think of one.

donsimon
    Free Member

However there are many others with afar more negative effect than him

Care to elaborate because I’m buggered if i can think of one.
    *Jumps up and down* *Waves hand in the air* That’ll be me!! I’m on Tandem’s killfile list…. ME ME ME!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is it fair to name them?

ilovemygears for one

Go for a love or hate Elf thread you will get a very polarised opinion.

monkfish
    Free Member

Indeed I think a large degree of the polarisation can be sourced back to the harping on of the OP.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie – are you a gooner?

Oh yes.

We will meet on the field at dawn. Weapons will be swords.

No mates.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Go for a love or hate Elf thread you will get a very polarised opinion.

No lurker is going to come out of the shadows to say they don’t like him though…

Obviously I love him though.

Jamie – I challenge you to a willy waving contest! It is the only way to settle our differences!

donsimon
    Free Member

Look! He can’t see me!! 😆 I can call him anything I want and he can’t see me….
    I dare you Tandem, name me as being on the killfile list and say why…

djglover
    Free Member

ilovemygears is just background noise compared to elfin.

donsimon
    Free Member

No mates.

That’s a clear sign of a gooner. No mates!

Tiger6791

My free Oakleys with polarised lenses turned up yesterday.

So I’m deff more polarised from today onwards.

HTH Carry on 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s a clear sign of a gooner. No mates!

Huurggnnhh!

…oh not again.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Blimey…………..

Like I can’t remember who, I’ve looked at this thread a couple of times over the last 24 hours, and am overwhelmed by the amount of time and energy some folk expend on establishing sometimes spurious points, then defending their honour, then slagging off others, then acting hurt, then doing it all over again.

Look – 2 points:

First, we are all adults here and should be used (or should become used) to dealing with outspoken points of view robustly expressed, especially if we dish it out. Acting hurt and offended is plain childish and irresponsible, but equally it’s stupid to set out to offend others by personally insulting them – just know that you will reap what you sow. I have encountered some comment in this thread and others which I consider simple minded, reactionary, or downright bigoted, but hey, if that where you’re coming from, then better to say it. Better out than in. That’s what debate is about. You might equally think what I say is outrageous, and that’s your right. Challenge me on what I say if you’d like. I’d prefer that it dealt with the points I make rather than being personal, but again, if you want to slag off, then remember what goes around…..etc. I’ve also at times felt patronised by those who seem to claim the intellectual and moral high ground (you know who you are if you have any insight) but again – if being patronising is your style then go ahead, but remember these things come back to bite you.

Second, on the riots – evidently there are lots of causes and no simple explanations, and the more insightful commentators in the media have made the point that simply blathering on about ‘crime pure and simple’ and making it a moral goodies vs evil ones crusade helps nothing, and infact further inflames the situation. For a whole heap of reasons, there are clearly a bunch of kids (some but by no means all black) who feel totally ****ed off with a system which institutionalises greed and double standards, and which has largely excluded them. We may or may not agree with them, but I think these events have forced us to acknowledge that they exist, and that one way or another, they will make their point. We have to deal with that, and start to work out where we all go from here. The random nihilistic violence against just about anyone that we have seen is actually symptomatic of a failure of politics. The old politics and the old left and right have no meaning at all to these kids (they hate it all and see it as part of the same self-serving system) and so it just comes out as blind rage. So maybe starting to build a new kind of politics which is based in real life experience and which can channel mindlessness into creative but conscious alternative activity might be a good thing to if you like to think you’re on the left……….and if you’re an apologist for the powers that be, then again – you reap what you sow.

That’s it – no more! Back to work now – we’re off to Brecon tomorrow and not before time!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If I killfile someone… will I still be able to see if they’ve tagged me?

phil.w
    Free Member

ilovemygears is just background noise compared to elfin.

This is very true.

It is easy to just ignore ilovemygears as many of his posts are obvious drivel. Elfin, on the other hand clearly thinks about what he posts and has some valid points. Therefore his attacks and insults have a lot more meaning behind them.

chipps

Seems a good point to close this then.
    Right, back to work everyone! We’ve got a magazine to write.

Viewing 26 posts - 281 through 306 (of 306 total)

The topic ‘Has STW suddenly become a lot more polarised?’ is closed to new replies.