Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 306 total)
  • Has STW suddenly become a lot more polarised?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There’s always bin a fair spread of onions, views and political leaning on here, but recent events seem to have really brought many hitherto carefully shielded attitudes to the surface, some of which are really quite extreme. People I’d previously thought were ok, suddenly seem to be spouting all sorts of hateful vitriol, and there’s bin a fair few rather cowardly comments and posturing bravado.

The more intelligent posters, by and large, don’t seem to be suddenly spouting loads of rhetoric and bull, but quite a number of characters have surprised me with their strong onions about certain issues.

And I have to say, there’s a number of people who’ve emerged as being just a tad unpleasant, and not the kind of folk I’d want to associate with. People who previously I’duv had a pint with, but now would prefer not to.

The depth of ignorance and bigotry amongst a few is quite disturbing; we live in a society with a wealth of access to all kinds of information with which to enlighten and educate ourselves, but some folk seem incapable of opening their minds and even their eyes to the Bigger Picture, preferring instead to wallow in their own narrow-minded parochialism.

Will STW get back to how it was, or will there now exist marked divisions between certain forumites?

On the plus side, a few people have come forward as being very highly intelligent, thoughtful and objective souls, who I reckon I’d get along quite well with, so not all doom and gloom. And some who I’ve had conflict with previously, have turned out to actually be quite decent right-minded individuals.

Thing is though, is it possible to carry on being quite so civil and jovial with folk you know know to be bigoted and hateful?

Or will it all just die down and we’ll all forget it ever happened….?

samuri
    Free Member

Yes.

RealMan
    Free Member

tl;dr

M6TTF
    Free Member

Or will it all just die down and we’ll all forget it ever happened….?

This – something else always comes along

ton

meaning the ones who share your opinions are ok, and those that do not are a racist hatefull scum?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I suspect it will die down but I am surprised at the depth of bigotry and vitriol from so many people.

I’ll probably forget who said what fairly quickly

Houns

The forum righteous one has spoken, all bow down to his superior knowledge 😆 🙄

So people who don’t share they same view point as you are unintelligent? How pathetic and, well, unintelligent of you

CHB

Been no surprises for me. Though the manchester video did bring out a few extreme(ish) thoughts.
    I guess there are those on here that believe in self help and the state providing opportunities to help oneself. There are thos that believe that those that that system has failed are victims.
    Being born on a council estate, and going to the local comp has put me predominantly in the former camp.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s putting me off to be honest. What I find most depressing is that the people that want to look for answers to the recent events are so few compared to the number that simply want revenge.

donsimon
    Free Member

meaning the ones who share your opinions are ok, and those that do not are a racist hatefull scum?

I think that Mr Nail and Mr Head have just been acquainted.
    Who’s the new moderator?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wallow in their own narrow-minded parochialism.

Dear Kettle, you are black. Love, Pot. *

*or is that racist?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I still find it very hard to accept so many people thought that cops actions in the manchester video were acceptable. Even the right thing to do.

Understandable I can see but acceptable? compare that to the outcry over Tomlinson and a couple of the other protesters at that point.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Thing is though, is it possible to carry on being quite so civil and jovial with folk you know know to be bigoted and hateful?

Does this sort of stuff not make the world tick.? Each to their own, live and let live and all that stuff.

Jamie
    Free Member

I dunno. Hopefully, through the grace of God, I can forgive you.

brakes
    Free Member

I have no idea what you’re talking about
    but here’s a rabbit with a pancake on its head

yeah! old skool forum comeback right atcha!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’ve very deliberately avoided certain threads just because i don’t really feel like getting dragged into stuff and i know i’d find it hard not to get involved.
    so, blissful ignorance? possibly. it’s not ideal, but i have too much stuff going on outside of the internet to want to waste spend time arguing dicussing certain issues at the moment…

but having said that, yeah there’s been one or two occasions on here lately where my opinion of several posters has reversed. i’m just letting them get on with it though. they’re idiots.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

And how long before this thread is pulled.?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

don’t see why it should be pulled. I doubt it will acheive very mush tho

hilldodger
    Free Member

Some of the forum users feel disenfranchised by the overt displays of rhetoric and sophistry, they no longer feel part of the society and are fighting back in the only way they can….

..they need hugs, cuddles and understanding – not condemnation

slowjo
    Free Member

Maybe that’s it… understandable has become confused with acceptable. Once the anger has died down I guess people will revert to their normal selves. It depends how close you are to the ‘action’ though and I for one, have the comparative luxury of being an onlooker from a very quiet rural location so in reality, have no conception of the tensions underlying both the rioting/criminality and/or the response.

Fence…meet my bum! 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

Got to remember that this place isn’t representative of wider society, it’s pretty narrow I think. and definitely not to be taken too seriously. I agree, Some strong bile and spittle stuff recently though. Makes it more interesting in a lot of ways if you can remain objective. In the real world you’ve got to get on with all sorts of asshats!

mrmo
    Free Member

Elf, how long till you accept what most have been saying on this forum for years that London is a hell hole?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Where did I say that?

So people who don’t share they same view point as you are unintelligent?

Again, where did I say that?

And how long before this thread is pulled.?

Hopefully it won’t be, as maybe it can be a place for sensible and intelligent discussion….

Elf, how long till you accept what most have been saying on this forum for years that London is a hell hole?

And then again, maybe not. 😆

KINGTUT
    Free Member

brakes – Member

I have no idea what you’re talking about
    but here’s a rabbit with a pancake on its head

yeah! old skool forum comeback right atcha!

Yay I was responsible for that, god that was a long time ago.

RealMan
    Free Member

don’t see why it should be pulled. I doubt it will acheive very mush tho

Just the standard “Oh my, this place has gone to the dogs hasn’t it?” thread that always gets started after a big argument on here. Of course, the main people in it are the main people who argue.

Oh, the

hilldodger
    Free Member

old skool forum comeback right atcha!

brakes ‘keeping it real’ for the stw massive, respec’ 🙂

roper
    Free Member

I have found some posts disappointing, especially hearing some of the same bile I heard growing up in mixed communities which I’d hoped only remained as hollow ghosts these days.
    Once the heated dust has settled a bit I also hope some people will learn some positives too. STW is better than all the crap which has been going on and has always had an element of new information and learing. I reckon a lot can be taken away and put to a better use.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Kevevs – Member
    ………and definitely not to be taken too seriously.

and therein lies the answer.

Houns

So people who don’t share they same view point as you are unintelligent?

Again, where did I say that?

🙄 **** me you really think we are stupid don’t you, pathetic

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Point out where he said that Houns? You are the one chucking the insults around

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Aah, thank you Brakes. I love pancakes and bunnies. Pancakes more than bunnies mind, I’m one of the chubbers in the poll.

brakes
    Free Member

KINGTUT

Yay I was responsible for that, god that was a long time ago.

hail KINGTUT, we are not worthy of your presence

si-wilson
    Free Member

This sums it up.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

It has been happening for a while now, the amount of intolerance, right wing vitriol and cretinous kneejerking bile being spewed by the usual suspects has been rising slowly over the last few months in my judgement.However, that seems to be the way society is going in general in this country, I come here less and less often and don’t even bothering engaging with the bigots and idiots anymore,the last few days has made me wonder if I can even be bothered coming at all.

Imho anyway

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

slowjo – Member

Maybe that’s it… understandable has become confused with acceptable. Once the anger has died down I guess people will revert to their normal selves. It depends how close you are to the ‘action’ though and I for one, have the comparative luxury of being an onlooker from a very quiet rural location so in reality, have no conception of the tensions underlying both the rioting/criminality and/or the response.

Is probably as good an explanation as we are going to get. People here are angry and afraid and lashing out from behind the keyboards.

Elf – read it again

Houns

I’ll let you go through every post he’s made where he calls people he agrees with ‘intelligent’ ergo people who don’t share the same views are apparently unintelligent. I’m sure in that narrow mind of his even he can see that

mrmo
    Free Member

Fundamentally i think people are racist and intolerant of other cultures.

humans are very conservative and don’t really like change, so when they can see a scapegoat they will latch onto it. It is for this reason that it is so easy to manipulate populations to do what their rulers want.

When times are good its fine, but when anything goes wrong it is those differences that get sort out. From what i am hearing the Birmingham killing is being looked at as blacks running down asians, when it would be more constructive to look at it as scum running down people looking after their own property.

Stoner
    Free Member

Point out where he said that Houns?

TJ you’re being as disingenuous as fred is being theatrically obtuse.

hilldodger
    Free Member

when you say ‘responsible’ do you mean you actually pancaked the bunny or was it a found image ?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

hail KINGTUT, we are not worthy of your presence

Why thank you I was MikeT at the time, I’m sure if you ever catch the occasional times that simonfbarnes (not pob with the ass fetish) posts on here he will tell you how much he used to enjoy me posting that.

Not.

EDIT: I found the image, the bunny is called oolong.

DOUBLE EDIT: Wiki here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 306 total)

The topic ‘Has STW suddenly become a lot more polarised?’ is closed to new replies.