Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Has old(er) age brought on a touch of the sad fashion victim?
  • redsox
    Free Member

Now I’ve always loved motorbikes (never had one, but grew up around them and tinkered on them as a yoof) But in the last couple of years I have found my head turned by custom triumphs and flat-tracker/scrambler type bikes

I have no visible tattoos, no beard and am in no way fashionable enough to have one of those pomade ridden hairdo’s, but goddamn I’ve been sucked in by the lifestyle blurb surrounding this scene and find myself looking at Red Wing boots

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What scene.?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Mmmm – I do like that style of bike myself. If I had the space and the money…

However for the moment I will have to make do with this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wtwFjv]25th July 2015[/url] by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

CountZero

I’m not sure about a ‘scene’ attached to this style of bike, but there does seem to be a lot of interest in cafe-racer style bikes. I think it’s more to do with a general desire among older riders for a stylish looking bike that is practical for day-to-day riding, and is great fun for riding A-and-B roads with variable road surfaces, maybe with some gentle green-lane thrown in, as a reaction against the crotch-rocket, all-in-one fancy leathers crowd. The fact that wearing Kevlar-armoured jeans and an old worn leather or Belstaff is also the most practical gear to wear helps, making it cheaper to get one on the road. Also more practical than a full-on enduro like a KTM, or a BFT like an Africa Twin for general hacking about.
    Given the money, I’ve seen a really nice looking off-road/trail-bike built up using a Harley Sporty motor; nice and lazy with oodles of torque, just stick to 70 all day with no effort on longer runs.
    Here we go, I thought I’d kept a copy of the photo around:

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, I like motorbikes but they make me vulnerable to other vehicles.

😯

kayak23

No fashion thing here. I’ve always loved older, more stylish looking bikes.
    My last bike was a 1974 Z900 but I’ve not had a bike for ten years now probably.
    I love flat tracker type bikes and am loving Brendogs BMW.

Pigface
    Free Member

It could be more to do with as you get older you can’t contort your body to fit a R1, Gixxer, Fireblade etc or they are so singleminded as to what they do it just isn’t fun any more.

Street scramblers or whatever they are called are just fun easy to ride bikes.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I don’t get the ‘lifestyle’ or ‘scene’ thing about an old-looking new bike. Surely it’s just middle-aged blokes with a good amount of disposable income thinking they look like Steve McQueen whilst not really beimg part of anything other than a cynically exploited market demographic?

I get the motorbike club scene, and chanced upon one recently in Ross where loads of people gathered at a rally on their ancient, not-so-ancient, rare and not-so-rare thumpers, replete with oily rags and roll-bags. It seemed like a buzz, a happening. Beer, anecdotes, camaraderie and lots of mechanical knowledge was no doubt enjoyed.

But I don’t see a ‘scene’ for that Triumph up there? :-/

If it feels good, ride it! If you want to be part of a ‘scene’ maybe join a motorcyle club? If you’re just looking to wear some trendy designer jeans then just buy some designer jeans! Cheaper and same effect. Purchasing a ‘lifestyle’ product puts me somewhat in mind of those Rasta wigs. Except they are normally bought for fun and parties. Now if I was to buy a fairy expensive (yet still obviously-styled) dreadlock wig, then sit me down outside a wholefood cafe in all seriousness wondering if anyone would pick up on my authentic ‘lifestyle’…

I never thought of mountain biking as a ‘lifestyle’, I just like the bikes and the riding. Have done since I became aware them. How are motorbikes any different? Maybe this bike you see is just a passport into a whole world of touring, travel and bike tinkering! A pursuit rather than a lifestyle?

5thElefant
    Free Member

They are an acceptable interest for an older gentleman. Carry on.

pirahna
    Free Member

The new Bonneville’s are nice. I took one for a test ride and at 6 feet tall found it a bit small, it needed the foot pegs moving and a different bar shape to make it comfortable for me. I think if I was going to do a street tracker I’d also consider the Kawasaki W650 and Yamaha XS650 if I wanted something a bit “classic”. They’ve got kick starters.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hasn’t David Beckham started hanging around on them? along with his hipster beard and oily rag look.

binners

I think that with age you also feel less inclined to get from A to B at warp factor 8, which is what sportsbikes inevitably end up doing. Had loads of fast daft bikes when I was younger, but if I went for anything now, I’d definitely go for a big thumper. Something like this…

Anything is acceptable as long as its not a Harley. Those lumps of pig iron, even more than a coke habit, are gods way of telling you you’ve too much money. Their marketing department must sit around laughing their tits off at the tragic suckers who are willing to pay frankly stupid amounts of money for the whole badass lifestyle crap they peddle to shift their god-awful 1930’s agricultural ‘technology’

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Oh my, that Kwacker, it just pushed all my buttons. Last bike I had was a Honda 250RS and before that a Triumph T90. Now I really really want one of those but at 59 I think it may be too late. 🙁

andyl
    Free Member

That Triumph in the OP is beautiful. OH thinks I will kill myself on a motor bike (I’ve broken enough on a MTB) so she says no 🙁

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

No ‘Scene’?
    There’s been so much going on over the last few years it’s filtered down to the major manufacturer’s,the most notable one being Ducati resurrecting the Scrambler.Yamaha have just unveiled something similar with their twin cylinder engine.
    Have a look on here for some inspiration; http://thebikeshed.cc/

geoffj

* slowly closes thread with eyes closed and fingers in ears *
    NO NO NO NO

benp1

I’m fairly young(ish) so while I can fold my 6’3 self up I’m on a fireblade. Will probably stay with it for a while

I really like the look of the cafe racers and scramblers but I’ll save that for while I’m older. Same goes for adventure bikes!

scotroutes

And this just looks rubbish 😳

Shame about the small fuel tanks.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I say embrace the ‘Middy’ and get a bike – I did! the buzz lasted about 12 months, then I sold it and have never fancied another in the 6 years since, well worth the £750 I spent to get a licence.

Anyway, I’m 38 now and have been looking at tattoos a lot recently, I’m merely months away from looking at knackered old red Porsches I reckon.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This want to make me fapalot..

I’ll never buy one, but bloody hell I remember going to motocross events back in the late 80’s when these and Maico 440’s ruled..

Pigface
    Free Member

CCM as they were meant to be but a full on MX bike can hardly be compared with a Triumph road bike with wide bars 😆

A machine of true beauty though and ££££££££’s lots these days for one.

kateezdad2
    Free Member

Everything you need is here….. 😀
    http://4h10.tumblr.com

sharkattack

I don’t have a licence but all I know is this brand new Yamaha looks amazing. What’s wrong with buying something that looks nice?

I don’t get the ‘lifestyle’ or ‘scene’ thing about an old-looking new bike… middle-aged blokes… thinking they look like Steve McQueen …cynically exploited market demographic

ZZZZzzzzz…..Snore

binners

What’s wrong with buying something that looks nice?

Nothing at all, but thats absolutely goppin’!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose…

grey

I love this site. secondhand dirt bikes , never had a bike but always had a hankering for a twin shocker 😀 .

hatter

Oi! nowt wrong with Red Wings!

CountZero

Anything is acceptable as long as its not a Harley. Those lumps of pig iron, even more than a coke habit, are gods way of telling you you’ve too much money. Their marketing department must sit around laughing their tits off at the tragic suckers who are willing to pay frankly stupid amounts of money for the whole badass lifestyle crap they peddle to shift their god-awful 1930’s agricultural ‘technology’

I sort of agree with you, but there’s still something very appealing about a big thumpy Vee-twin, and Sportststers can be made to go pretty fast and handle. There was a race series for Harleys a few years back, and the main trick for transforming the handling was a pair of Öhlins shocks on the rear, to steepen the head angle, and tweaks to the motor to get more power.
    Still, there’s something even more appealing about a big vee in a classic British frame, like a Featherbed…

br
    Free Member

Either you’ve forgotten how 5h1t/slow/exposed naked bikes or you’ve never ridden one.

Also could be that folk are afraid to speed, so something that is miserable at speed might be why they are popular.

slowoldman

I mate of mine just bought a Royal Enfield. What’s that all about? Mind you, he’s driven a Morgan for years.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I love naked bikes br… and I don’t think ANYONE ever described my old 955i Speedy as slow back in the day 😉

Actually – I don’t think anyone who has ridden it has described my Griso as slow. People who haven’t ridden it do, but then it is rather entertaining chasing down sports bikes on it 😉

And plastic bikes look ****.

And don’t – generally speaking – have proper handlebars. Or “Man”dlebars as they are also known…..

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Has old(er) age brought on a touch of the sad fashion victim?’ is closed to new replies.