Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 170 total)
  • Has mountain biking become the new golf
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

I know its a joke on here but am I the only one trying to avoid Audi driving financed to the bollocks Santa Cruz riding mtb’ers

It’s almost got like off piste skiing, where you have to be cheeky trailing, just to avoid the type that’s becime the spawn of the trail centre.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know its a joke on here but am I the only one trying to avoid

The sort of snobs that judge others by what they drive and ride, making sweeping generalisations from inside their exclusive club house complaining about the new people enjoying the sport.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Were you ever a surfer mike?

wrecker
    Free Member

Bore off. Knob.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

If people buying expensive bikes and kit keeps the bike shops open then who cares how they spend their money.

eddie11
    Free Member

Unclear point and lack of punctuation. But let down by lack of caps lock, no swearing and it too short. 4/10

shermer75
    Free Member

I know its a joke on here but am I the only one trying to avoid Audi driving financed to the bollocks Santa Cruz riding mtb’ers

Maybe the best way you can avoid them is to go and play golf?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

No. But road riding feels like it is sometimes.

ajantom

So you dislike other people having fun?
    Or the other option is – gasp – don’t cycle at trail centres. Last non-TC ride I went on I encountered exactly zero other MTBers in about 25 miles.

Serious point….how long have you been MTBing? Because IME it tends to be those who have come to the sport more recently, who then themselves look down on other less ‘worthy’ cyclists.

Oh and I just bought an Audi. Guess you hate me too.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The

Audi driving financed to the bollocks Santa Cruz riding mtb’ers

are welcome, as is anyone else, well, everyone except for ****..

globalti
    Free Member

Golf club membership is falling and in Scotland where there are lots of clubs, 30% have closed.

Road bike sales are booming and all clubs report growing memberships.

Mountain bike sales are flatlining; neither growing nor falling.

saxabar
    Free Member

If the answer is yes, isn’t that a good thing, ie folk riding bikes, having fun, pushing themselves, having thrills and getting fitter rather than fatter?

philxx1975
    Free Member

I see what you did there globati.

For the record I started in 1994 Ajantom and I don’t mind people having fun I mind them being in my personal space and being nobs, even the quality of nob has gone down

I’d wager if this were 5 years ago and some flouncy tufty was writing about the soliude peace and inner karma of being one with the trail, the invasion of the forum sanctioned nob would be overlooked for artistic purpose.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I mind them being in my personal space and being nobs

How big is your personal space? Measured in km?
    How are they offending you?

philxx1975
    Free Member

Mike, when do you ride a bike, you post here on this forum constantly ,when do you fit riding in?

ChrisE
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know what proportion of rides are done straight out of home/door compared with putting bikes on/in cars to go and ride.

It does feel like the former is less likely to end up clique-y

C

julians
    Free Member

Could you publish a list of car and bike brands I am allowed to own please. I dont want to fall foul of the rules of mountain biking.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where, up mt Wellington today, great little 25km lap, saw nobody was a shame nice to see other riders out. It is 8pm here so the time difference masks how much I’m getting out

funkrodent

philxx1975 – Member
    Mike, when do you ride a bike, you post here on this forum constantly ,when do you fit riding in?

I’m calling troll. Thread closed 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Golf club membership is falling and in Scotland where there are lots of clubs, 30% have closed.

You got a source for that? I live in an area that has more courses than ye can shake a stick at, and since the global recession not one has closed. Lots are struggling and have had to cut prices, but none have shut up shop.

bearnecessities

I live in an area that has more courses than ye can shake a stick at

Ironically, that’s just how you play golf.

kiwijohn

I saw Mike riding last week.

fathomer

wrecker – Member

Bore off. Knob.

What he says.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.strava.com/athletes/324374

Yeah, cheers John, might join you next week… Might need to dig out the jacket and sunscreen though.

JoB
    Free Member

philxx1975 – Member

For the record I started in 1994

bloody newcomers to the sport, only doing it because it’s the trendy thing now 🙂

kiwijohn

Probably jacket going by the long range forecast.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Reckon I’ll be OK on my carbon sc?

beej

Depends. Do you have an Audi to put it in?

zelak999
    Free Member

Ok I’m confused, I’m riding a Santa Cruz and own both an Audi and a T5.
    I’ve been riding mtbs since 1989.
    Please can you classify me?

tazzymtb

If we base the premise of it being the new golf based purely on silly outfits* then yes it most definitely has…does it matter? Does it buggery! All twatting about on bikes is fun and inherently silly, the only things that get my back up slightly are when folks take themselves deadly seriously (usually trail centre heros riding over the top of kids and slower riders)

if more riders offends you, then ride cheekier singletrack ir more out in the wilds, there is plenty if open country and its very easy to plan a decent ride where you are lucky if you see another rider

*silly outfits being taz defined as dayglo enduro jimjams with matching colour coded helmet etc…. or long socks with shorts…ffs its as bad as socks and sandals! At least wear a nice set of plus fours in tweed if you are going for such a look and maybe a matching Oakley monocle

** based purely on my opinion that the only acceptable colour is black with some skulls and shouty punk soundtrack 🙂

kiwijohn

Don’t tell anyone I’ve got a Yeti. I only drive a Ford though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I did but it was a 10 year old a4 and the bike lived on the back seats till the car died.

munkyboy
    Free Member

It isn’t mountain biking, but it is road cycling. The only reason I have thought of getting a road bike is that most of our directors and clients thrash out deals at the weekend while trying to do a ton. 5 years ago they talked golf before meetings now it’s di2. But it’s all money going into cycling which is all good imo.

beej

And to answer the original question – No, definitely not.

The Santa Cruz/Audi thing was going at least 10 years ago so it’s nothing new. People who have money to spend enjoy outdoor activities as well as people who have less money to spend, or who choose to spend less. I know a couple of multi-millionaire mountain bikers who’ve been riding for 10+ years. Are they not allowed out as they have more expensive cars and bikes than others?

All sports have newcomers at some point – road riding is a more obvious “new golf” as there are significant numbers of people from the business world who would have been associated with golf, but now ride bikes. Which is a lovely thing. Look at some of the sponsors in the road riding world (and I include sportives in there): Dimension Data, ING Direct, Maserati, Tag Heuer, Jaguar. They are sponsoring cycling because that’s where their customers are going.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

not at all – the skill set required is completely different for one thing.

If you area duffer at golf then you generally just hack around the course, get frustrated loads, and hit one or two decent shots which is enough to keep you playing on and believing that, one day, you will be able to hit balls with that butter-like sweetness all the time. You constantly buy magazines that offer the secret to not fading/slicing the ball all the time. The frustration can be offset by the comradery of playing with all your duffer friends.

To be good or even reasonable at golf generally requires tons of ongoing practice.

Your level of skill is immediately apparent by the quality of the shots you play and the percentage of time you spend away from the cut of the fairway.

You can be a duffer on a road bike and still wear all the kit, avoid hills, and pretend you are ‘the real deal’.

You have to have slightly more skill to get away with it on a mtb, but you can choose your trails.

But you would have to have one heck of a bad day on a bike to be anywhere near as frustrated as your normal golfer gets during a round.

You should read some of the PG Wodehouse short stories to understand why people get hooked on golf, and to understand why it is nothing like bikes.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

cycling will never replace golf in the business world – the idea is that if you take someone out on the golf course it is very difficult for them to hide their true character as the mental rigors of golf will expose it, whereas there is nothing like this on the bike.

milky1980
    Free Member

The new golf, most likely. Road has become the home of St Andrews of this trend, MTB trail centre poseurs the local’s course that thinks it’s St Andrews. Everyone else are just people that enjoy riding bikes.

The major difference I’ve noticed in the last 4-5 years has been trail centres getting busier. Easy to avoid the crowds though, just turn up early on weekends and do the long, less used routes or go midweek when they’re all in work. Out on the natural stuff the poseurs get found out by their lack of fitness, lack of navigating skills or just by scaring themselves stupid.

Ok I’m confused, I’m riding a Santa Cruz and own both an Audi and a T5.
    I’ve been riding mtbs since 1989.
    Please can you classify me?

Gullible fashionista who follows every trend but secretly wishes lycra and purple anodising would make a comeback?

slackboy

I don’t have and Audi and a Santa Cruz, but I do have a Skoda and a Cotic.

Is that OK, or should I get something else?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I don’t have and Audi and a Santa Cruz, but I do have a Skoda and a Cotic.

I have reported you to the mods…

RustySpanner

Yes.
    Fewer people coming to MTB from other tradional outdoor activities, more switching from other pursuits.

Both a good and bad thing, IMO.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘Has mountain biking become the new golf’ is closed to new replies.