Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Has living in the UK become very depressing?
  • vancoughcough
    Free Member

just wondering….

jhw
    Free Member

I think now things are getting tougher, that’s when all the good art and writing will begin again. So yes, but no.

The late ’90s and early ’00s were vapid.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah its quite boring going to work in the morning without having a gun poked in your face by a crazed maniac like when i worked in africa

jambon
    Free Member

Got depressing long ago.

Left 2 1/2 years ago.

No great plans to return full time.

Probably never really liked in the the first place though, to be honest.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The depressing bits are depressing.

The trick is not to live in those bits.

jhw
    Free Member

Actually, most of my friends are emigrating right now, and I’m looking seriously at doing the same…

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Try moving to Spain, Greece, Italy or Portugal nice climates no jobs or money 😉 Syria or Iran are also top destinations (waves goodbye)

nicko74

Yes, it’s grey and damp all the time.

That’s why I moved 🙂

jhw
    Free Member

Or Switzerland where there are jobs and a (comparatively) stable economy and the country actually still makes stuff

user-removed
    Free Member

The depressing bits are depressing.

The trick is not to live in those bits.

I find myself wondering how I got here (NE England) and wondering when I can go back (Scotland).

Had I been born here, I’d probably like it a little better and I mean absolutely no offence to the fine people of the region. But with 40 million worth of cuts in the local health trust (that’s JUST ONE TRUST!), the highest unemployment rate per head in the UK, public service facilities being wound down and businesses floundering, I can’t see a very bright (immediate) future for the region 🙁

simonralli2
    Free Member
    futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Or Switzerland where there are jobs and a (comparatively) stable economy and the country actually still makes stuff

Pffft…… Switzerland isn’t even in the top 15 for manufacturing output – the UK makes much more stuff http://investing.curiouscatblog.net/2011/01/04/top-15-manufacturing-countries-in-2009/ a bit out of date – I think we’ve slipped to 7 in the world now.

gsp1984
    Free Member

Go spend two weeks In most places South and East of turkey and you won’t be so depressed.

I just spent two weeks in Sri Lanka and a bit of time in doha and couldn’t wait to get home. Infact I actually quite like the country and it rare I say that.

Stoner
    Free Member

only if you accept it.

We should celebrate what we have, not lament the trifles we might have lost

Slow economic growth, even recession has actually little effect on the majority of the population. At the margins, it can be more acute I agree, but it doesn’t mean the country has gone to ruin or we are soon to all turn feral as the BBC would have you believe.,

but maybe I miss my trifle 🙁

iDave
    Free Member

I spend my time in both the UK and Switzerland and can’t say I feel any less or more happy in either place. If you want to be happy, be happy. If happiness is linked to affluence, then the wealthy would be happy and the poor unhappy, but it’s clearly not so.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Three main things depress/irritate me about living here:

1. Grey weather; nowt we can do.

2. Mourning over the shrinking of our global importance. Shut up, take it on the chin, and move on

3. Stagnation and decay or our social order. We need some-sort of socio-economic-legal-political revolution. But I don’t know what. Ideology has become a dirty word.

But there is lots of good stuff too – most people I meet do care about stuff. I can live without fear of being harmed by others, with some security from illness, in some comfort.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

At the margins, it can be more acute I agree, but it doesn’t mean the country has gone to ruin or we are soon to all turn feral as the BBC would have you believe.

Don’t talk such utter rot. You’re the last to talk of how the economic situation affects others. How can you talk about life on the ‘margins’, when you’ve never even been there or experienced it for yourself?

I think what’s happening in the UK now will force people to have to step outside their cosy little bubbles, and start having to think a bit more carefully about the decisions they make, such as Higher Education, what career paths to follow, how to save rather than spend, and make the most of what they’ve got. So, could be a good thing socially, although the UK is at the end of a prosperous economic cycle and will have to reinvent itself somewhat if it is to continue to be able to compete in economic terms. That we are slipping down the tables, and other nations are catching up and overtaking us, means we’ll either have to adapt and compromise in ways we’re just not used to, or we’ll really be in trouble.

It’s a time when those who can anticipate and prepare for change will prosper, and when the ostriches will flounder and end up slipping down the economic chain. The Underclass awaits, to swallow up those unfortunate enough to place too much trust in others, when it comes to their investments. Negative Equity has become the new Demon to fear, no-one wants to lose what comfort they have become accustomed to.

If things continue the way they are, socially and politically, then we will see an increasingly fractious and divided society, with people less willing to help one another, and less caring of the plight of others. Fear and xenophobia will rise, and people will bend over and accept whatever shafting they are given, just to cling onto a shred of what they once took for granted.

Some way off mind, but if you take the current situation to it’s logical and natural conclusion, then that’s they way we’re headed.

Let’s just hope that the Left can reorganise themselves and help put the brakes on a bit, cos the Right are driving us towards the edge of the cliff…

kudos100
    Free Member

3. Stagnation and decay or our social order. We need some-sort of socio-economic-legal-political revolution. But I don’t know what. Ideology has become a dirty word.

This.

It is more of a global problem than a uk one though.

coastkid
    Free Member

What iDave says about happiness,
    I just had a wee health scare and now back to (near) normal life everything is so good 🙂
    I love Scotland and esp its outdoors, its weather (yes really), scenery, history, my family, friends and hobbies,
    i opted out the rat race years ago and more than happy to have done so,
    been more skint this year than ever but happier now, i got my health,
    Life is good 🙂

allmountainventure
    Free Member

It depends on your outlook.

druidh
    Free Member

Depressing? Not at all.

I was out for a walk in the local hills today, it was a wee bit damp to start with, bitterly cold wind and I loved it. Got a real frisson of excitement when I came across tiny patches of snow too.

We live in a fantastic country, don’t let all the doom and gloom on the TV convince you otherwise.

kaesae
    Free Member

Bike forum 😯 , please do not feed the trolls, except with arsenic or a shot gun blast 💡

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i think its just getting exciting.
    is there going to be a peoples revolution or are Rockefeller et al going to succeed in their plans for a new world order.
    difficult times defiantly, but exciting

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t like the fact I have to either live somewhere I dislike and have a job or live somewhere I like and have no job, but that’s not a recent thing, but its not a terrible thing to deal with.

br
    Free Member

The depressing bits are depressing

They’ve always been so…

Go spend two weeks In most places South and East of turkey and you won’t be so depressed.

Couldn’t agree more – I’ll be in Delhi on Sunday, and all I need is the drive for the airport to realise how good life is in the UK for the majority of us – especially for those with little to ‘offer/trade’ – e.g. idle, ill, disabled, stupid or just plain poor/disadvantaged.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

We live in a fantastic country, don’t let all the doom and gloom on the TV convince you otherwise.

That’s right … turn your TV off, don’t read the papers and the world’s a much happier place regardless of you’re individual situation.

AD

Only when I’m daft enough to read threads like this one…

corroded
    Free Member

Over the last few years I’ve divided my time between the UK and Australia. The difference in my mood in each is extreme. In Aus, my default mood is happy, no matter what stresses I have. In the UK I just want to curl up and die. It’s not just the sunshine and space, but the whole approach to life down here. We should never have shipped the convicts to Australia, we should have left them on a dank island in the North Atlantic and shipped everyone else down under 🙁

Northwind

I think the next bit- where we try and work out what to replace our failed system with- will probably be pretty depressing in places. But hey, we live in the early days of a better nation. Our kids or grandkids or maybe greatgrandkids will see the benefit just like we see the benefit of what our forefathers did for us. So cheer up!

glenh
    Free Member

Has living in the UK become very depressing?

Only if you read the reams of crap spouted on here 😉

Duggan

There’s a millions things to be positive about, living in the UK. Some people just don’t seem to be happy unless they’re moaning.

I can’t really imagine attributing my happiness purely to the country I live in.

kennyp
    Free Member

It’s still a great place to live. Happiness and depression is more down to attitude than anything to do with the country. It’s got its faults, but it’s still a far better country than most of the world.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not for me.

coastkid
    Free Member

😀
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bNE-5TVAmg[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not for me.

Oh well that’s ok then, eh?

timc
    Free Member

lifes what you make of it…

if your lifes dull, chances are, your dull.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ[/video]

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

It could be argued that at this time of year, it is, what with seasonal affective disorder

Its not about the economy and politics, its about the extent of SHRED in your life, now crank up the gnar and giggle your way to spring.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

For all it’s faults (and there are many) I love this country and I can’t imagine living long-term anywhere else.

Far, far too may whingers out there, where is the land of milk and honey?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Woon’t say it’s depressing, as that’s a very personal and individual state of mind.

Definitely on a downward slope, socially, politically and economically though. Will it recover to levels that have bin enjoyed previously, is the big question.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Has living in the UK become very depressing?’ is closed to new replies.