Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Has KODI had its day?
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It appears to be worse and worse for finding and holding channels. Or am I just not fast enough at finding the new apps?

ton

i sell all types of satellite and streaming receivers. kodi has never been all that good to be honest. a satellite/internet hybrid box is far better.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I have a BT box for some of the stuff which is fine and means I know that the broadband is sufficient. I don’t have an aerial so use Firestick for the likes of BBC, ITV and CH4; KODI for other things sportswise.
    CH4 has just stopped and KODI is poor.
    What setup would you recommend ton?

firestarter
    Free Member

I’m running kodi as an app on my android TV it seems decent and very stable

zzjabzz
    Free Member

KODI seems to work fine with the right addons.
    I actually use SPMC, which is an Android specific variant of KODI with two addons – SportsMania and Exodus. Everything works as it should.
    I watch football and darts on SportsMania, my son watches TV shows on Exodus. If we want to watch a film, we download the .nzb, then share it on the network and watch it via SPMC. Saves all the messing about trying to ‘find a decent stream’. No drama.

ton

i use this box. 1 feed to your sky dish, patch lead to router. full sky package, bt and premier.

HD 8150

monde
    Free Member

Depends how often you update it. Use ares wizard to get the latest builds and I seem to find it perfectly stable.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Depends how often you update it. Use ares wizard to get the latest builds and I seem to find it perfectly stable.

Surely it updates automatically, especially when the little box appears stating that it’s updating.
    That box looks interesting, ton, but I’m not looking at installing a dish.

ton

any streaming box is going to have glitches. a live satellite feed cut all the glitches out.

monde
    Free Member

The builds don’t update automatically and have found compatibility issues in the past if you don’t update them. Two minute job using ares so definitely worth trying.

Currently using the latest pulse lite build on an amazon firestick and it is faultless using exodos, salts etc.

squirrelking
    Free Member

KODI IS NOT A STREAMING SERVICE AND IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CONTENT YOU CHOOSE TO LOAD IT WITH.

How many more times does it need said? Stop dragging their name through the mud, Kodi is and remains to be an excellent media centre front end.

allthepies
    Free Member

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

ton – Member
    i use this box. 1 feed to your sky dish, patch lead to router. full sky package, bt and premier.

http://amikoreceiver.com/amiko-hd8150/

By full sky package I am assuming you have to pay for that? sorry for being bit simple.

ton

😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

squirrelking – Member
    Stop dragging their name through the mud, Kodi is and remains to be an excellent media centre front end.

If you say so! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

KODI’s always been good as a netflix style choose what you want to watch and when to watch type of thing. It’s poor for live stuff.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Shot in the dark here, squirrelking, but you work in IT, don’t you?

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

Ton – Sounds like just the device for me.

monkeychild
    Free Member

It’s the ISPs that are blocking a lot of the links that the repos point to. Also quite a few of the streaming sites it used have “disappeared”.
    I use a VPN and stream via Chromecast, if I didn’t use a VPN I would get a nice message declaring some sites are “naughty” HTH.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Shot in the dark here, squirrelking, but you work in IT, don’t you?

Shot and missed. 😉

Just annoys me, same as when people use WiFi and broadband interchangably. Like saying streaming is illegal (so how are Netflix and BBC managing it?) and all the other stuff that people say that is just rubbish. I’ve pointed it out on here a few times now.

It’s my present gripe. Kodi is a media centre, nothing more. Their devs are sick of it too. As evidenced here and here.

At the end of the day it’s a successful program with very humble beginnings that is getting shat on by the people that distribute dodgy copies, that make crap addons and the folk that choose not to understand what they are using. It’s like blaming a car manufacturer for making a shit car after you run it on dodgy “biodiesel” you bought off a dodgy bloke in a van on the cheap and wreck the fuel system. My point is simply that Kodi is not at fault. The addons are at fault and they didn’t get there by themselves.

seosamh77
    Free Member

squirrelking – Member

At the end of the day it’s a successful program

Only because of the dodgy addons, if not for them, no-one would have heard of the Kodi name and it would have died in its XBMC form long ago.

Well maybe not died, but it would be languishing in obscurity still called XBMC..

retro83
    Free Member

I’ve been using Kodi for years, it’s getting better and better TBH. If you want to use shite content with it, well that’s your choice. But it’s not Kodi’s fault if it doesn’t work properly.

Kodi streams perfectly well given a decent source.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Kodi streams perfectly well given a decent source.

Yep those good legal ones are good, freeview catchups and others. Must make it harder if you are evading detection and blocking all the time that the pirated streams are doing.

skids
    Free Member

kodi is shit for live tv, but good for old tv shows/ films etc. the enigma2 boxes are much better for live tv

seosamh77
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    But it’s not Kodi’s fault if it doesn’t work properly.

I know that, I’m well aware it’s the users fault. I can configure it to work just fine. 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

Only because of the dodgy addons, if not for them, no-one would have heard of the Kodi name and it would have died in its XBMC form long ago.

Well maybe not died, but it would be languishing in obscurity still called XBMC..

Aye, that’ll be why its now the underlying OS for several set top boxes and whatnot since manufacturers like to encourage piracy of the very things they are trying to sell.

canopy
    Free Member

i’m with squirrelking but less pitchforky 🙂

been using kodi (XBMC) ever since i ran it on a hacked original xbox

have two “non-pirate stream” kodi set ups in the house using raspberry pi’s. plays any downloaded content i throw at it (so can’t really preach?), however it is sad to hear stories about blokes in pubs rooting amazon fire tvs for 15 quid and the people paying really don’t know what they’re doing is wrong?

half the guys i work with use a raspberry pi/kodi set up too, and also been using it since the original xbox days.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think media companies are getting better at shutting down the illegal streams / addd ons via a variety of methods including potentially DNOS attacks or ISPs blocking DNS (link) lookup. Allegedly it’s working less well as a result

jbproductions
    Free Member

Yep been using Kodi, XBMC since the original modded Xbox – now running it on a Pi. It’s ace. It’s the dodgy plug-ins that are the problem.

Drac

half the guys i work with use a raspberry pi/kodi set up too, and also been using it since the original xbox days.

That’s nice.

mcj78
    Free Member

I use it with the wookie build on my htc phone which will screen mirror to my sony tv (32″), only really use it for occasional footy games & the quality certainly isn’t hd but it’s watchable. Never really bothered with movies etc. – mate of mine has some mystical box from a bloke down the pub that delivers everything in perfect HD quality, not sure how that one works – maybe linked to the satelite dish with a decoder in the box.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’ve found subscribing to realdebrid made exodus etc so much better.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    captainsasquatch
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

How does sport get paid?
    How does not being able to watch free to air Channel 4 due to not having an aerial, but being able to watch free to air Channel 4 through Kodi have any bearing on that article?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

because most of the thread is about piracy

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Rightey! I haven’t read past the smug muppets.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Has KODI had its day?’ is closed to new replies.