Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Has Facebook Ettiquete Changed?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

A friends wife is constantly bragging about all the various jollies she’s going on with work (disappointingly I know them all to be real as we work at the same place) and about what a great wife and mum she is, even using #supermum and #amazingwife in the posts to really ram it home. I know I could bin her off but the fall out just wouldn’t be worth it. Sigh

You know you can “unfollow” your “friends” if they’re too annoying.

They’ll never suspect a thing.

jon1973
    Free Member

I don’t have Facebook.

Closed my account and had more time to work and ride!

How much time were you spending on it before you closed it that it freed up that much time? I probably use it a couple of minutes a day, post the odd photo or make a comment while doing other things.

fubar
    Free Member

I wish they would add an ‘unlike’ button as I don’t want to get into a debate every time I point out the link they just shared is racists / stirring up hate. Perhaps an anonymous ‘Hey are you really racist hatemonger ?’ button if they don’t want to add ‘unlike’

jon1973
    Free Member

You can unfriend people. Thats something else I do if people post or share rubbish.

spooky_b329

Once I blocked posts from those that post their daily diary, share sensationalist Daily Mail type rubbish or thinly veiled racism, or constantly send invite for Candy Crush, I found Facebook became quite boring. The phone app just became an advertising medium and I decided to delete it and just use the browser, suddenly my Facebook usage has dropped to the odd check probably once per week rather being constantly interrupted through the day with the latest must know news.

Just a few real friends on there now plus a few carefully selected Likes for updates from companies I’m interested in.

rideronthestorm
    Free Member

Extract taken from – https://gist.github.com/kolber/2131643 – originally written in 1994. It came up in the Adam Curtis documentary All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace. This thread reminded me of it, well worth a watch!

“i have seen many people spill their guts on-line, and i did so myself until, at last, i began to see that i had commodified myself. commodification means that you turn something into a product which has a money-value. in the nineteenth century, commodities were made in factories, which karl marx called “the means of production.” capitalists were people who owned the means of production, and the commodities were made by workers who were mostly exploited. i created my interior thoughts as a means of production for the corporation that owned the board i was posting to, and that commodity was being sold to other commodity/consumer entities as entertainment. that means that i sold my soul like a tennis shoe and i derived no profit from the sale of my soul.”

DrP

I get feed up with daft people from my childhood simply posting things that are a given…
    “Luv my baby”[sic]
    “Miss my boys so much” (has been away for one night it would seem)
    “Love my children”…

Meh!

Post something interesting ffs!

GrandpaP

chakaping
    Free Member

I like the Marxist analysis of internet discussion, but it does seem a bit reductive tbh.

Perhaps we should withhold our labour and refuse to discuss this any further until STW Towers grant us a fairer distribution of the proceeds of our work?

jon1973
    Free Member

nealglover
    Free Member

rather being constantly interrupted through the day with the latest must know news.

Turn off notifications for Facebook on your phone.

I don’t have Facebook.
    Closed my account and had more time to work and ride!

If you were spending so much time on it that it was interfering with your work and social life, then I would say the problem was you, not Facebook.

hilldodger
    Free Member

….ponders the irony of discussing interweb trivia on a mountain bike forum where mtb is just about the least posted subject 😕

nealglover
    Free Member

….ponders the irony

No irony involved in chatting about random things, in the chat forum.

hilldodger
    Free Member

True, ‘we’ do seem to have got the hang of the chat/bike division now 🙂
    Maybe irony was the wrong word, but the variety of posts ranging from personal tragedies and triumphs through to faecal disfunction does illustrate that people enjoy talking shite (often literally) online.
    FB can be mildly tedious with its stream of consciousness type posts, but I’ve also read some inspiring stories and seen amazing pictures from random FoFs and must admit a FB trawl is usually part of my morning cuppa routine.
    I follow most of the news channels, set them as a FB group and find it the easiest way to get a quick update on “what’s going on”.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What’s the etiquette on not getting back to your own thread? 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

So am I to conclude:
    Talk is cheap and Facebook posts are cheaper?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Has Facebook Ettiquete Changed?’ is closed to new replies.