Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Has Cavendish already signed for Sky?
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Just read this from the BBC:

Geraint Thomas says he has been encouraged by his performances during a “tough but enjoyable” Tour de France.

The Welshman also praised Team Sky colleague Mark Cavendish, describing him as the “fastest guy in the world”.

Has that been announced or is this just the BBC being a bit sloppy?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I suspect its just the beeb being rubbish…..

Wookster

Can’t see him going to Sky, daft if he did. Currently he has a team built to get him to the line. Sky is all about wiggins and the yellow I can’t see them (sky) doing a High road set up from him at the expense of the GC.

warton
    Free Member

The problem is Highroad are struggling to get a sponsor, I think Goss and possibly Renshaw are going to green edge, so he needs to find a new team. I agree though, Sky isn’t the place.

richpips
    Free Member

The problem is Highroad are struggling to get a sponsor

I don’t understand with their tour succsses why that would be the case?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The BBC story has since been edited. It now says:

The Welshman also praised green jersey winner Mark Cavendish, describing him as the “fastest guy in the world”.

racefaceec90

cav wants to keep all his team with him i would imagine.reckon he’ll stay with htc (as said above i cannot imagine them having problems with sponsorship after the success at the tour)

Ed2001
    Free Member

Cav, Eisel and Renshaw all going to sky.

project
    Free Member

Cav seems to work better as a team, take his team away and he may well get sad without them, also Sky have pushed Brad to the front and as leader, where will Cav fit in, second in comand, i think not

grahamt1980

I think he would be daft moving anywhere. He will not get the same level of support in any other team

Ed2001
    Free Member

As I said Cav, Bernie and renshaw to sky. Brad will concentrate on track and olympics next year anyway.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Where would EBH fit into the a Sky set up with Cav?

Ed2001
    Free Member

G, Wiggins, Ed Bo, rogers, ,lofkvist etc + eisel and Renshaw no they would be a shit leadout train 😯 f f s .Anyway half of them already did the job for him at high road

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As Chris Boardman has said Wiggo would be silly to concentrate on Olympics next year, he already has every colour medal from 2 different games he isn’t getting younger and is running out of time if he wants to do well in the tour. No way would Cav work at Sky for numerous reasons as already mentioned. I think Journos are jumping on band wagon again of rumours last year.

nedrapier

Cav’s what, mid 20’s? What scope for getting stronger and more self-reliant?

grahamt1980

I get the impression as Cav gets older he could be another Husvold in the future.

Ed2001
    Free Member

As Chris Boardman has said Wiggo would be silly to concentrate on Olympics next year, he already has every colour medal from 2 different games he isn’t getting younger and is running out of time if he wants to do well in the tour. No way would Cav work at Sky for numerous reasons as already mentioned. I think Journos are jumping on band wagon again of rumours last year.

Which ones are they
    BTW no particular fan of the gob shite or sky for that matter.

jonba
    Free Member

There’s no point being the fastest over 250m unless you have the team to deliver you to that final 250m. I can’t see him going to sky at present as it would mean too radical a shake up and would go agains the ethos of the team to develop British riding talent.

The lines between SKy and British cycling are a bit blurry which is where the confusion lies with the BBC (probably).

I thought that the team had found a potential new sponsor anyway?

Junkyard
    Free Member

he may go as i dont think wiggo will ride for them next year in the tour

edhornby

Where would EBH fit into the a Sky set up with Cav?

in front of eisel slogging his guts out to chase down the break each day

kinda funny that brad left highroad because he was sick of being cav’s lead out man – and now they may be reunited 😀

actually all of the above is a load of WUMmery from me, I don’t think Cav will go because I can’t see DaveB wanting to hire 3 riders and restructure a team… this year’s TdF showed that he has versatility in spades, he would sacrifice this if cav came

Stuey01
    Free Member

Sponsor situation may be resolved at Highroad:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/stapleton-with-new-sponsor-for-highroad

My money is on none of the major players in the Cav sprint train leaving.

Ed2001
    Free Member

How would signing cav go against the policy of signing young British talent, he is young and British 😯

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I thought HTC signed another 3 years with them.

rootes1

How would signing cav go against the policy of signing young British talent, he is young and British

isn’t he from the Isle of Man? Not part of Great Britain, though in the British Isles..

but suppose is close and they have the same national anthem so will let him off 😉

matthewjb
    Free Member

Renshaw has already said that him, Eisel and Cav are staying together, wherever they go. I can’t see that fitting into a Sky team that also wants to go for the GC.

Highroad is really built around one thing, getting Cav 250m from the finish. I can’t see Cav wanting to compromise on that.

shotsaway
    Free Member

isn’t he from the Isle of Man? Not part of Great Britain, though in the British Isles..

The Isle of Man is not part of the United Kingdom but the Manx people are British citizens and are issued with British passports by the Isle of Man passport office.

Surfr
    Free Member

Ed2001 – Member
    Cav, Eisel and Renshaw all going to sky.

^ Just this, basically. Cav going to Sky is cyclings worst kept secret and the rest seems to be a given as well.

aracer
    Free Member

Cav going to Sky is cyclings worst kept secret biggest rumour which may not actually be true

FTFY

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

UK citizens shotsaway Is it not?

trail_rat
    Free Member

if cav joins sky then wiggins will be looking for a new team – cant see that my self

i see wiggins doing a cadel – he crashed out last year due to wrong place wrong time and won this year – ill put money on wiggins next year tbh – would love to see him give the schlecks a kicking …. if cadel has any sense he would retire at the top of his game – he was the best on the 3 weeks of the tour this year BUT i am not under any illusion that he is the best in the peloton…..

also cav becoming more self reliant like hushovd – i dont think so, i dont think mentally he can hold together – when things go south he seems to go south too – only my opinion though

anagallis_arvensis

Cav’s what, mid 20’s? What scope for getting stronger and more self-reliant?

He is already the fastest the issue is that no other team would pull back any breaks as Cav would win. So his leadout train is needed to keep the pack together as much as anything else without HTC dominating the peleton other teams would try and avoid a sprint. He would only need two guys to lead him in the sprints but he needs the rest of the team to ensure its a sprint in the first place.

aracer
    Free Member

the issue is that no other team would pull back any breaks as Cav would win

I presume you didn’t watch any of the TdF – or maybe missed the days where the teams of other sprinters were pulling the pack in the hope their man might win.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

There is an interview on velonews saying the whole team were waiting at least another 2 weeks for Stapleton to put pen to paper with a new title sponsor!

From the reports coming out the press the team will remain for 2012 and are in the process of sorting new title sponsor!

As said why move to sky and risk loosing the machine that is the HTC delivery service to the line!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If HTC have got a new sponsor and bigger budget then I agree, he should stay. Isn’t one of his gripes about being with HTC the amount he’s being paid compared to other sprinters?

If he does go to another team and BE, MR have agreed to go with him then I’d imagine part of the deal would be to bring them over with him, but I’d imagine that could prove expensive as they are still under contract with HTC. Would he want Tony Martin too?

bikebouy
    Free Member

THing with Mark is he needs a team with the same ethos as HTC if he’s to move. If you look at what HTC are good at it’s TT (Martin) and Sprints (Cav) so predominantly flat stuff. They’ve chosen not to mix abilities by adding (proper) climbers cos they want the glory post which gets more media coverage, quite simple really, max coverage for sponsors.
    So if Cav moved to another team they would have to have the same ethos and no team really has that OPL did for a while but then they’re classics orientated.. and they’ve got Griepl (spelling) anyhoo’s.
    Rumours suggest HTC have a 3yr deal with another sponsor lined up so why split a sucessful team now..
    I’d like Cav to expand his palmares to become a classics winner..

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’d like Cav to expand his palmares to become a classics winner.

He’s already won Milan-San Remo but he’s a very explosive rider rather than a powerhouse in the style of Hushovd, Cancellara or Boonen so is unlikely to win Roubaix or Flanders, his physiology is too different.

traildog
    Free Member

he was the best on the 3 weeks of the tour this year BUT i am not under any illusion that he is the best in the peloton…..

There is no “best” in the peloton. No one can be the best for every event and has to target specific events. Cadel has always been well up there, has one world championship to his belt and is certainly one of the best in the peloton. He’s a well deserving winner of the tour.

shotsaway
    Free Member

UK citizens shotsaway Is it not?

Bizarrely not.

For example, Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom but not part of Great Britain, yet they are classed as British Citizens and are issued with British Passports (They are also entitled to Irish citizenship by birth under the 1998 Belfast Agreement).

It would be so much easier if the Government issued UK Passports and classed the people as UK citizens!

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/

jonba
    Free Member

My comment about developing talent was that putting Cav in the team wouldn’t help the rest develop. As suggested above he needs a team that can control the peleton, chase down breaks and then a couple of people to lead him out. HTC is the “Cav-alry” and run purely for him to win sprint stages. I think they would be more interested in bringing on their own talent base (Swift/Thomas/Kennaugh) than getting/buying someone in who is already a acomplished rider.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I think you’re right Jonba, but there is nothing quite like regular race wins to appease your sponsors, giving the team breathing room to focus on development.
    I can see how buying in Cav to net all those wins would be attractive, particularly after a lacklustre 2010. 2011 has been much improved for Sky though so they may not be feeling the need quite so much.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Has Cavendish already signed for Sky?’ is closed to new replies.