Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Has anyone used avid BB5-BB7 brakes on a newer style slot dropout inbred frame?
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I was just wondering if the Avid BB7 or BB5 would work on an Inbred slot drop out frame. The ones with the caliper mounts at the back, the newer ones. I'm thinking of getting some BB5 for such a frame. But I used to have a slot dropout and I'm sure someone said that the above brakes would not work correctly due to how the mounts are on the dropout on the frame. That seemed to make sense. Someone must have had a go? save me some selling on the classifieds when it all goes worng!

epicyclo

Running road BB7s on a Scandal which is similar.

finnegan
    Free Member

Mrs F's slot dropout InBred has BB7s – you need a 185 or bigger rotor on the back otherwise the caliper fouls the frame (or you can use a flat headed machine screw to pinch the cable – see posts by clubber towards the bottom of this thread). I have pictures of Mrs F's bike somewhere, but can't find them right now – when she's back from her morning ride I'll take some more and post a link.
    For what it's worth, BB7s are easier to adjust than BB5s (position of both pads can be adjusted without tools on the BB7). They're very nice brakes.

finnegan
    Free Member

Pics here and here. With a 160 rotor, the head of the allen bolt that pinches the cable catches on the frame (where the red insulation tape is, put on out of pessimism while it was running 160 and a flat headed machine screw to pinch the cable – the clearance was tight…).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone used avid BB5-BB7 brakes on a newer style slot dropout inbred frame?’ is closed to new replies.