Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Has anyone used a sharpie to decorate their frame?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

The decals on my 29er clockwork are rancid and too fluro for my liking. Ideally I’d like to get the hole thing resprayed and have plain black decals but it’s a waste of money at the moment to do that so was thinking about using a sharpie to cover over the fluro decals and tone it down a bit. Has anyone done this with success?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Not I.

I’ve sprayed a bike flouro and hand painted fish on it, and small phrases added with a Sharpie.

But that was pre-lacquer. Sharpie on lacquer will assumedly go weird and shiny purple-black with varying density? Try a small spot you can always clean it off?* 😉

*allegedly

oliverracing

calling maximusmountain…. —->his blog <—

EDIT: haha, beat me to it by 10 seconds!

eddie11
    Free Member

Not I.
    I’ve sprayed a bike flouro and hand painted fish on it, and small phrases added with a Sharpie.

This thread is useless without pictures 😆

maximusmountain
    Free Member

When I did it (i.e. to misses drew all over it for me) we found that a standard sharpie was pretty terrible, it was wet for a very long time and made it difficult to draw with. A pentel permanent marker was used instead and worked pretty well, although can and does smudge w/o any protection on it.

I did try to get industrial sharpies but they didnt turn up in time. If you make sure the surface is clean then you can easily draw over it. Then stick some helitape over the top of it then it will be golden for ages. Cleans mud off easily as well.

Other pictures and the process on the link oli posted above (thanks oli ;))

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Unfortunately my bike (‘Ye Spookfish’ – custom Rockhopper) is long gone, and no pics. It was slightly Jo Burt inspired, with little impressionistic scenes, panoramas, special places I’d ridden, all blending together, big fish chasing small fish chasing smaller fish up the downtube, with “shit happens” sharpied in.

I can picture it now …

PS maximusmountain that is a thing of joy!

epicyclo

I did. You can barely tell it from a factory job.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses, after seeing that I want my clockwork to look like that, it won’t so I’ll leave it till it needs a respray.

DanW
    Free Member

There was a guy on Pinkbike (possibly Polish???) who was doing a run of frames for various people… might be worth trying to track him down if you are not artistically gifted but like the style of the examples above 😀

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ve thought about doing my fatbar but would be sad if I botched it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone used a sharpie to decorate their frame?’ is closed to new replies.