Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Has anyone tried Plastidip on bikes?
  • rapiddescent

After some bad experiences painting and powder coating bikes in the past I was wondering if anyone has tried plasti-dipping bike stuff?

It’s more like a spray on “wrap” product but apparently is very tough and once you come to sell your bike, you just peel it all off. Any help much appreciated.

honourablegeorge

Not quite – you need to spray with primer to use it on a metal surface.

rapiddescent

oh ok, even on a previously painted surface?

Duane…
    Free Member

I recently Plasti-dipped a set of Pikes. I wanted to be able to quickly pain the fork, without needing to strip them down, primer, colour, laquer etc etc – I was after a quick and simple job which would still look OK.

I removed the fork from the bike, removed all the decals, cleaned it up well (using alcohol wipes). Then masked around the seals, inside of the axle holes, and adjustment dials (as well as uppers of course). Didn’t use any kind of primer or laquer.

Turned out ace I think. Finish is of course not as tough as a proper paint finish, but I’ve crashed the hardtail quite a few times, and there’s no chips or scratches that I can see.

Duane…
    Free Member

Oh and I probably wouldn’t plastidip my “main” bike, which is ridden a lot, and on rocky trails. The hardtail is mainly for dirtjumps and smooth trails, so is less likely to get rocks thrown up at it.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I like the like of it or Sugru for a chainstay.

rapiddescent

http://www.ukdip.co.uk/what-is-plastic-dip-15-w.asp

they use it as a protective coating on cars – when you don’t like the colour anymore you can peel it all off and pain on another colour!

I think I’m going to try this out!

amt27
    Free Member

i used it to try and seal up the toes on some old MTB shoes, didn’t work,

use it now and again to stop cable end from fraying, when I run out of nipples,

Duane…
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother using it on a chainstay, the chain will rip it up pretty quickly.

(I’ve only used the spray on stuff, the brush on type may be different)

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Duane… – Member
    Wouldn’t bother using it on a chainstay, the chain will rip it up pretty quickly.

Sugru it is then.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone tried Plastidip on bikes?’ is closed to new replies.