Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Has anyone told TV Licensing that they don't need a TV licence ?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

PeterPoddy

I’m surprised you can see any TV at all from right up there on that high horse.
    I bet you were enraged when TVs became cheap enough for the lower classes to afford.

Although I’m at a loss as to what class has to do with repetitive broadcasting of intellectually barren crap (maybe working class people are stupid?) let’s just see what was on BBC One yesterday.

06:00
    Breakfast

10:00
    Saturday Kitchen

11:30
    Nadiya’s British Food Adventure

12:00
    Football Focus

13:00
    BBC Weekend News

13:15
    Bargain Hunt Hour Specials

14:15
    Money for Nothing

15:15
    Escape to the Country

16:00
    Final Score

17:00
    Final Score from NI

17:15
    Toy Story

18:30
    BBC Weekend News

18:45
    BBC Newsline Weekend News,

18:50
    Len Goodman’s Partners in Rhyme

19:25
    Pointless Celebrities Series 8

20:10
    When Miranda Met Bruce

21:15
    Casualty Series 32

22:05
    BBC Weekend News

22:25
    Match of the Day

23:50
    People Just Do Nothing Series 4

I guess if you like soccer, gameshows and watching people cook it’s great.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I descend from my high horse occasionally. Sometimes as low as doing track work on a steam railway. There was an episode of Countryfile that included a piece about the West Som Railway. I watched it hoping to learn something, perhaps to see their H & S around a film crew. They showed the presenter kitted out for a track walk. They came to a broken fishplate, a common problem. A replacement was provided and he set to work. He was talking to camera about how he had to get it fixed before the train arrived, like a total Walt. Effectively he presented the railway as less safe than the reality, while wittering on in his own little fantasy.

That’s not how it goes. The train crew would know about the filming, there would be a lookout and a set of proceedures, maybe a speed restriction for the duration.

Has anyone seen my horse, I think I left it hereabouts.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m surprised you can see any TV at all from right up there on that high horse.

I am surprised you chose to shoot the messenger rather than engage with the message and defend the programmes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

I am surprised you chose to shoot the messenger

You’re not really, are you. (-:

slowoldgit
    Free Member

While looking for my horse I remembered this, which also took place at ground level. I was helping in a walled kitchen garden. The local TV came by to film about growing and cooking food. They chose to feature squash or pumpkin, I forget which. They filmed someone cutting a squash, then saw the nearby courgette plants.

Now squash have ordinary leaves, normally a bit sad-looking. Whereas courgette leaves have splashes of silver against their darker green, and have a divided outline. The TV person said ‘Can you pretend to cut the squash from this much nicer looking plant, please?’

When you see stuff than you know about turned towards total bolleaux, then you come to question all the other stuff that you don’t know about.

I have another walled kitchen garden story, another time, another place, but right now I cba.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Theft is theft

And as for the propaganda, it’s very noticeable if you live in Scotland

Aye for years the Beeb have force fed wee eck and wee nippy on the innocent and vulnerable. Still a small price to pay for FoR and comedy gold, but they should carry some warning and certification.

BoardinBob

Anything with Brian Cox
    Anything with Attenborough
    The Olympics coverage
    The Adventure Show
    Countless BBC4 music documentaries
    Documentaries on the cold war stuff etc
    Horizon
    Storyville
    Glastonbury (and other) festival coverage
    Limmy’s Show
    The League Of Gentlemen
    Still Game
    HIGNFY
    plus countless other stuff

All tremendous

No one forces you to watch Eastenders, Bake Off, Strictly etc

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Nic Robinson at that Alec Salmond press conference, in case anyone hasn’t seen it…

jimjam
    Free Member

BoardinBob

No one forces you to watch Eastenders, Bake Off, Strictly etc

It’s a question of volume and cost. How many hours of Strictly or Eastenders do they make vs Horizon, or how many hours of Horizon could they make for the cost of an episode of Strictly.

Your “tremendous” list could be summarised into “documentaries and old comedies”.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s a question of volume and cost. How many hours of Strictly or Eastenders do they make vs Horizon, or how many hours of Horizon could they make for the cost of an episode of Strictly.

How many of the populist shows/formats get sold off to other territories?

I genuinely don’t know, but assume there has to be some kickback.

Cougar

How many of the populist shows/formats get sold off to other territories?

I genuinely don’t know, but assume there has to be some kickback.

Quite a lot, I expect. Stuff with mass appeal here will probably have appeal elsewhere, even if it’s fluff. As a random example,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_British_Bake_Off#International_broadcast_and_versions

The UK version of The Great British Bake Off is broadcast in many countries and it has been sold to 196 territories as of 2015. The format has also been sold to 20 territories by 2015, making it the third most successful BBC format after Dancing with the Stars (Strictly Come Dancing) and The Weakest Link. Many of these shows have been successful. The Junior Bake Off format has also been sold to Thailand.

jimjam
    Free Member

The problem with that model though is that it encourages further investment in that kind of show and going forward you run the risk of becoming little more than the Talent/Soap/Game Show broadcaster.

Nextflix, Amazon and Youtube aren’t going to keep buying previously aired documentaries forever either. That reduces their potential subscribers and they don’t have creative control. Programes like Life don’t just happen because of some innate quality possessed by the BBC alone. It’s a product of millions of pounds paid to talented creators who will go where they are paid.

epicyclo

Junkyard – lazarus
    i think his comment is aimed at this part of the quote

paedophile infested propaganda outlet of the British state./quote]
    Oh, do you think I offended his sensibilities?

But which bit of my statement?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The BBC coverage of athletics, Olympics etc, is bloody awful.

Just had to say that.

jimw
    Free Member

the BBC coverage of news and current affairs is bloody brilliant*

Just had to say that

*this is my opinion, I am aware others disagree, but so what? I’m happy with it

jon1973
    Free Member

I guess if you like soccer, gameshows and watching people cook it’s great.

What about the other 8 BBC TV channels? Maybe you should flip over to BBC4 if BBC1 is cerebral enough for you, plenty of interesting stuff on there.

jimjam
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

What about the other 8 BBC TV channels? Maybe you should flip over to BBC4 if BBC1 is cerebral enough for you, plenty of interesting stuff on there.

As I said earlier, how many hours of Strictly or Eastenders do they make vs Horizon, or how many hours of Horizon could they make for the cost of an episode of Strictly?

Yes there is quality content on BBC 4 but there is also massive repetition and it represents a fraction of the output, and a fraction of the expenditure. Documentaries featuring talking heads and archive footage or lone scientists walking through fields cost a pittance compared to live studio “star studded entertainment”.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its[BBC 4] also not on tv its internet based only iirc

Clearly the BBC , and it is one of its strengths, will do programmes from the proms to pop and from documentary to soaps

No one is going to like all of its output s it makes programmes for everyone not just programmes where they get good advert revenue.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Double post with the same time!

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe you needed a more explicit reply then – they could make approximately -5 hours of Horizon for the cost of an episode of Strictly…

aracer
    Free Member

I think you’re getting confused with BBC3; BBC4 is still broadcast. Though I’m not sure that’s all that relevant anyway – surely for most people on here it’s just as easy to watch iPlayer as broadcast TV (and the licensing requirements are the same now).

jambourgie
    Free Member

And let’s not forget about the beatles… the e n d l e s s going-on about the sodding beatles. It’s 2017.

Junkyard
    Free Member

told you I did not watch any tv

An true its easy enough

Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone told TV Licensing that they don't need a TV licence ?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts