Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • Has anyone told TV Licensing that they don't need a TV licence ?
  • plyphon
    Free Member

How did it go?

Did you get a visit?

In our household we have multiple computers, laptops, tablets, phones and even a TV – but we rarely watch anything the BBC produces and I can count the number of times we’ve watched “Live TV” on one hand (Planet Earth – worth it!)

Before you ask the TV is used exclusively for console gaming and occasionally watching films via the console. It’s not connected to any TV source other than the internet.

So I’m thinking of not getting a licence this year and seeing how it goes.

Anyone done it?

RustySpanner

but we rarely watch anything the BBC produces and I can count the number of times we’ve watched “Live TV” on one hand (Planet Earth – worth it!)

So you need a licence then.
    🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

I have to agree, they have moved the goal posts, you now need a license for any Live TV broadcast.

ton

owning anything you can view tv on nessessitates a license.

pypdjl
    Free Member

owning anything you can view tv on nessessitates a license.

Nope, you only need a license for viewing broadcast TV or iplayer. Owning equipment is irrelevant.

You can contact them to say you don’t need a license, quite likely that they will want to arrange a visit to check. It does stop the letters for a while at least.

seosamh77
    Free Member

You only need a license if you are planning on speaking to the license people at some point in your life, otherwise crack on! 😆

RustySpanner

You can also claim benefits you’re not entitled to or perhaps try a little tax evasion.

Should save a few quid.

BoardinBob

Never listen to any BBC radio?

It’s £144 a year. Given you “have multiple computers, laptops, tablets, phones and even a TV” it doesn’t sound like you’re on the poverty line

It offers great VFM, and is a small price to pay for TV or radio with zero adverts!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    You can also claim benefits you’re not entitled to or perhaps try a little tax evasion.

Should save a few quid.Seems to be the done thing, why not! 😆

RustySpanner

Because I’m not a parasite?
    🙂

walla24
    Free Member

Told them online…received a letter saying they would ask again in 12 months time, nothing heard since and no visit.

I have a TV used for gaming etc but no aerial etc to receive live broadcasts.

At uni we would get a letter every week warning about an inspector coming etc, presumably they thought students were more easily scared into parting with their money.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Because I’m not a parasite?

😆 parasite can be applied to may aspects of society, depends on yer point of view!

RustySpanner

Well that’s ok then…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Well that’s ok then…

yip.

Drac

I have a TV used for gaming etc but no aerial etc to receive live broadcasts.

Apart from your console.

winston
    Free Member

Ok the license is and had always been a license to watch live tv. It has nothing to do with bbc tv output so dont confuse not watching bbc with not needing a license. In addition the recent changes have now brought catch up tv into scope so if you watch live or delayed tv output from any commercial (i.e not You Tube) or bbc channel distibuted in the uk then you need a license.

We didnt have one for about 10 years as we had no tv and then only a screen for the wii and dvd. We had numerous shouty letters each ruder than the last and eventually a visit during the day when we were obviously all out at work and school. The leaflet put through the door from the visit was enough to turn even the most state embracing citizen into a mask wearing anarchist such was its insistence that we were all criminals and under the microscope from now on. Fines woyld be forthcomong. This was all despite me writing and emailing to explain why we had no license. However that was their last gasp and we never heard another thing. Last year we bought a tv as I wanted to watch the tour and my wife wanted Poldark! We duly boufght a license the same day but we are thinking of getting rid again as its all so dire.

perchypanther
    Free Member

aracer
    Free Member

No TV license required for that.

I’m not sure if you’re suggesting he should have a TV licence anyway to pay for the benefit he gets from that, but personally I don’t see any particular need to have a TV licence if you don’t legally require one (people who don’t pay when they should because they know they can get away with it are another matter).

As for threatening letters, a big pile of them at my mum’s old house – I opened a couple for amusement and it appeared they had turned up at some point to check, but they all just got binned. Personally if I didn’t need to have a licence I’d just treat such letters as more junk mail, seems less hassle than contacting them.

redmex
    Free Member

I answered the few questions correctly over the phone no more mail. I genuinely dont miss tv or sky at all just cut off the co ax
    Listen to bbc dab all the time, spotify or project twice a year

BoardinBob

Good point! But the money still goes towards that even if you dont need a licence for it (or people with no TV but a radio in the car would have to pay!)

Still, I think it’s great VFM and if you use it at all then you should pay

Lame excuses about BBC paedo rings etc are pretty lame

seosamh77
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/19/revealed-full-list-bbcs-96-highest-paid-stars/

i’m witholding my share of Chris Evans wages! (well i’m no really but still!)

So lets not make this about morality eh? 😆 Or indeed value for money!

4130s0ul
    Free Member

yay, we haven’t had one of these for a while.

If you choose to change “rarely” to “never” watch live TV then you will not need a licence and can happily carry on watching all other catchup channels bar the Iplayer.
    yes your games console may have the ability to stream live TV but as long as you do not do this then it is not for you to prove this to anyone.

Unfortunately the language used by the BBC / Capita and in the newspapers for years makes it out as though anyone without a licence is dodging the fee or breaking the law when this is not always the case (yes some people will abuse it but that’s always going to be the case)

The way we watch TV has changed and people are turning to more pay per view models like Netflix et al. the BBC got caught with their pants down and now have had toclose the Iplayer as they realised they were losing revenue to peopel legally watching catchup rather than live.

yes £144 is good value if you wish to watch live TV but if you don’t and will only watch catchup or online content then go for it, you’re breaking no laws

scaredypants

If you watch or record TV programmes (Not just BBC) as they’re being broadcast (or streamed) “live”, you need a licence

If you use iPlayer, even just as catchup for older programmes that have already been broadcast (BUT ONLY specifically the BBC iplayer), you need a licence

If all you do is use other (non-BBC) catchup TV services, you don’t need a licence

If you watch “live” TV on the internet but that TV is not viewable on UK terrestrial broadcast/network systems, I have no bloody idea 😀 (apparently you still do need a licence)

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yes, many years ago when I didn’t have an ariel or cable / satellite. We had a TV but it pre-dated smart TVs and was not connected to anything other than a DVD player. When we had an ariel installed, I bought a licence.

enfht
    Free Member

Possibly the funniest false equivalent I’ve ever heard 😆

footflaps

You can contact them to say you don’t need a license, quite likely that they will want to arrange a visit to check

They don’t visit, we don’t have a TV and didn’t have a license for years. I used to phone up once a year and ask them to stop sending threatening letters and they’d stop them for that year….

plyphon
    Free Member

Alright alright I should of clarified –

Last year we watched a few things on BBC (and have a licence) – but I reckon this year I can go without – I’m not suggesting not paying and carrying on to watch 1-2 programmes a year.

I’m saying I’m going to stop watching BBC produced content or any live TV full stop, and thus not buy a licence.

Should of made that clearer.

Never listen to any BBC radio?

It’s £144 a year. Given you “have multiple computers, laptops, tablets, phones and even a TV” it doesn’t sound like you’re on the poverty line

No I do not listen to radio, not BBC anyway, and certainly not through a physical radio. Our financials are irrelevant, £144 is a objectively a large sum of money I’d rather not spend. Cheek of this forum sometimes!

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Don’t fret Plyphon, it’s a strangely emotive subject and for some reason going licence free is as bad as killing baby robbins to some folk.

whitestone
    Free Member

At a previous house the previous owner had taken all the TV receiving equipment (aerial, cables, the lot) with him. I wasn’t bothered about watching TV as it was just a house I used during the week rather than commute 100 miles each way every day.

I got the licence letter so rang them up and said they were welcome to visit and inspect the house at any time and that if they found any equipment capable of receiving a signal I’d pay the fine but if they didn’t then they agreed to pay me the same amount.

Never heard another thing from them.

Drac

if they didn’t then they agreed to pay me the same amount.

Never heard another thing from them.

Probably still laughing.

plyphon
    Free Member

Anyway, in amongst the outrage there are some good posts from people who have had success, might follow it through!

RustySpanner

enfht – Member

Possibly the funniest false equivalent I’ve ever heard

Why’s that then?
    🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I used to reply but now I am bored doing it

They will come round at some point but as I comply with the law I am not that bothered

Currently you need one if you watch any live broadcast on any device by any means.

What they have never clarified is whether someone with a licence can watch Iplayer at my house and whether I can stay in the room and watch….not done this but i was interested in the answer.

muggomagic

Do you need a TV license if you download Eastenders from a torrent site?

RustySpanner

No, you need a doctor.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Who?

the-muffin-man

…I think they provide free counseling for those prepared to go to such lengths to avoid paying.

martinhutch

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0Yo5kVovo[/video]

RustySpanner

Anyone who voluntarily watches EastEnders.
    🙂

scaredypants

4130s0ul – Member
    Who?

Specifically not that doctor
    BBC innit ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone told TV Licensing that they don't need a TV licence ?’ is closed to new replies.