Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Has anyone still got a (broken??) Grapil in their shed. Need a favour…
  • welshfarmer

Trying to sort some new bits for mine but Genesis have sent similar, but different, parts. I wonder if mine is a pre-production model since I bought it as a used custom build. Thinking the production ones may be slightly different.

If anyone is still riding one or has a broken one let me know and perhaps I can get to the bottom of this.

Cheers

Mark

daveh
    Free Member

It was available frame only as well as a bike. What are the part differences?

welshfarmer

Thanks for the reply

The differences are in the axles in the rear shock pivot. Mine are threaded with M5 cap heads in a tapered insert. The ones I have been sent (minus any hardware) are tapped with an M6 thread. The shorter axle I have been sent also has an enlarged expansion “flange” on the one end whereas mine are the same thickness right through. Thus, while one axle fits my frame, the other doesn’t, and I can use neither of them anyway, as the bolts and expanders from my frame do not fit the replacements.

The new axles came in bags labelled “Grapil” so I wondered if there are 2 types of frame in use or an early/late type, or if, indeed mine is a pre-production model (since I have no history of it). So if anyone has a Grapil I would appreciate a close up picture of the shock pivot from the side with the expansion bolts.

Cheers

Mark

welshfarmer

A few pics to clarify. Mine are the obviously worn out ones, the others are the replacements send by Madison. Differences are relatively clear to see.

Had a very helpful chat with Madison today so hopefully I can get this sorted but would still appreciate any Grapil owners out there having a look and telling me whcih type of axle pins you have

daveh
    Free Member

Interesting. I can’t help I’m afraid as I moved on from the Grapil after snapping two. I’m sure Genesis will sort you out.

fingz999
    Free Member

Il have a look at mine in the morning for you pit of interest the grapil you broke where did it break and what was the warranty like did they just send a new frame or offer you a exchange for another bike

daveh
    Free Member

Broke at the weld at the front of the chainstays, between the ‘tube’ and the pivot casting. First time I got replacement chainstays fitted, 2nd time I was offered a new bike from the Saracen range. I worked a deal out with the shop and swapped to a Transition Bandit, which was a great move.

fingz999
    Free Member

Looking at mine and your second pic down I’d say the one on the right is the same as the top linkage mount that connects it to the frames top tube

baseta26
    Free Member

daveh – i recently had the rear chainstays fail on my grapil. Madison are offering me the replacement rear triangle. i don’t want this as i still won’t trust it.

what did it take to get a replacement bike? i am pushing for this but am still waiting on a response.

please get back to me asap. you can email me at rossi1981@hotmail.com if you wish.

thanks

Andy

daveh
    Free Member

I broke my first frame within a month or so, the second (chainstays replaced only) within a couple more. I think I was the first to break a frame but by the second other people had also had failures. They’d only just started the investigation with the manufacturer and as such they didn’t really have a suitable alternative for me so didn’t resist my refusal to take another. The bike shop also helped out in getting me an alternative. As we’re over a year on and they’re offering a whole new rear triangle, it might well be that it’s a new V2 part with the defect taken out. There’d be no reason not to go for the swap then. I should check first before making a decision.

baseta26
    Free Member

Thanks pal. Will check with Madison but I’m still not too confident in this frame, especially as they still don’t list it on their website.

daveh
    Free Member

The issue was inadequate weld penetration between the casting and the chainstays, the last I knew of it the factory were saying design fault (can’t actually be welded correctly), Genesis were saying manufacturing fault. If there’s no change in design and you’re just getting spare parts they’ve got left over after they pulled the bike, then I’d be inclined to refuse it as it will break again someday. If it’s a revised part then there’s no reason to expect similar issues in the future (see various other bikes that had initial problems that were subsequently ironed out) and you’d have sorted Grapil, which after all is a nice bike, and rare!

pricer
    Free Member

I can whittle you something on the lathe Mark if you have no luck and once I’ve built my workshop! Will catch up with you soon!

robbonzo
    Free Member

baseta26 I had a similar experience to DaveH with my Grapil, broke exactly the same way. My bike shop were excellent with dealing with it, and I wrote a stern email pointing out it has happened to multiple frames all at the same point and that it was clearly a manufacturing fault and I had lost all faith in the design as a whole, and why pull the bike, mid way through its year cycle if it wasnt a serious issue…Shame as I loved the bike, the geometry was ace.

The re-designed rear could be fine, Nukeproof megas suffered a similar problem on the 1st versions but they quickly sorted it and moved on. Id be asking for a new frame though..

albino
    Free Member

Though I’d restart this thread as I managed to snap my Grapil at the infamous chainstay weld on Sunday. Unfortunately, mine was bought used and so not under warranty.

I’ve contacted Madison who have stated that, as I’m not the original purchaser, there is nothing they can do other than point me in the direction of where to buy a new rear chainstay.

I presume I’m stuffed but does anyone think there’s any mileage to be had pursuing this with Madison on the fact that there was obviously a clear design/maufacture fault.

In the relpy from Madison they stated that “the frames/bikes were never withdrawn from sale, it was a problem that only affected a small minority of the bikes, a large majority of the frames have no issue at all.”

Anyone got any more info on that? I heard they were withdrawn but only from internet rumour!

northernmatt

I can’t help my my LBS has two still for sale if you want a new one.

daveh
    Free Member

Hmmm, a little disingenuous that perhaps. I’ll take a look back through my emails to see if I can find you anything useful.

albino
    Free Member

@DaveH – That would be really useful. I’d like to see if there’s anything in writing anywhere that admits defective design/manufacture which may or may not have led to withdrawal of the model. Cheers

@Northernmatt – Not sure I’d want to buy another given the history of frame failure – even though it’s a great bike – but thanks for the headsup. Which LBS btw?

northernmatt

Cycleworld in Sunderland

welshfarmer

I see this thread has been resurrected so perhaps it is time to sum up my experiences. Well I had a lot of contact with Genesis/Madison over the problem with my pivot pins, initially via my LBS and then directly with the Madison warranty department when the LBS could not get anywhere with Genesis directly. I got very very lucky. The chap in Madison decided that Genesis had messed me about for long enough in not being able to provide me with the correct pivots so he decided to send me a completely new frame. I had to send back my original frame, which coincidently had perfect chainstays, via my LBS who had to raise a warranty claim for me. Considering I had not bought the bike from my LBS I was very grateful that I have fostered a good working relationship with them over the past years. The owner will be happy to shortly have some local lamb for his freezer too 🙂

The chainstays on the new frame are identical to the old one. There is no apparent revised design, though who knows if the weld quality is better. It certainly looked identical. The rear shock pivot pins however, have been completely redesigned on the frame I received relative to the one I originally had. I have no idea why this is and Genesis also seem not to know!

As far as the Grapil being discontinued. I think Genesis came under some pressure from Madison to drop it from their range and to concentrate on Hardtails and to leave the full sussers to Saracen.

daveh
    Free Member

I can’t see that I’ve got anything useful for you unfortunately, I’ve got an email with the manufacturing fault recognised but that’s somewhat irrelevant owing to the terms of the warranty. I’m sure they were off sale for some time but have no proof of that.

albino
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys. Don’t think it’s worth pursuing so I’m just waiting to hear back from the LBS on the price for a new chainstay.
    Cheers

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone still got a (broken??) Grapil in their shed. Need a favour…’ is closed to new replies.