Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Has anyone run open tubular tyres tubeless..?
  • househusband

Not on a road bike before anyone wonders; this would be on a gravel bike!

Winstanleys have the 120tpi Challenge Gravel Grinder 38 for £25; the open tubular version. I’d like to try these but would be interested to know if they would work tubeless – wheels are tubeless.

Has anyone got open tubular tyres set up tubeless?

Thanks.

simondbarnes

I haven’t but suspect you’d struggle

dirtyrider
    Free Member

This is not a tubeless rated bead on the casing and Challenge strongly advises against trying these in that manner.

from here

Challenge Tires “Gravel Grinder” 38mm Tires

tom200

I think that related to the vulcanised version, the open ones would be very difficult to mount. Try a latex tube? I am tempted to get some at that price, as I was looking at some chicanes for my cross bike.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I tried the Limus on a Stans rim and it just kept blowing off the rim. Gave up on the fourth attempt.

househusband

Thanks all. I had a feeling it wasn’t going to be viable – or indeed possible!

Winstanleys have the Gravel King SK due in and their prices for them are best I’ve seen; I know that it has a tubeless ready bead.

nkhoma
    Free Member

I’ve a small amount of success with a grifo on the front of my sons cross bike, but the sealant bleeds through the side wall continually and it loses pressure quite quickly enough for a cross race and warmup but not much more. The rear kept burping and wouldn’t work very well at all, he’s aslo very light so ended up with latex tubes.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have had two sets of Strada Baincas. Even the tread is porous.
    A slow puncture in the rain showed bubbles everywhere!.
    Would be nice if they would work but I doubt it somehow. They don’t sit anywhere near the rim in-inflated. In fact just fitting a tube is a sod and keeping that tube away from the bead is worse.
    Let us know how you get on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone run open tubular tyres tubeless..?’ is closed to new replies.