Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Has anyone rooted their Galaxy (S3)?
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

My handset’s going to be out of contract in Dec. It’s still going strong so I’m going to keep it but switch network. I want to root the handset and run a mod version of Android. Will it run any faster than the network loaded OS?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Yes. A friend did the same to his s3 and put cyanogenmod ROM onto it and reccon it’s transformed the phone (quicker, better battery life etc).

You shoudnt need to root it either, just get the unlock code from your supplier at the end of the contact then replace the stock rom.

cyanogenmod have an automated procedure to install the ROM now

theflatboy
    Free Member

Yes, it’s super easy to do and makes a big difference. I had Cyanogenmod on it for quite a while which was really good, but switched a little while ago to SlimKat which is even better – faster and better battery life, plus a lot of nice little integrations and features for customisation.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Good stuff, cheers guys looks like a no brainer then.

Cougar

You shoudnt need to root it either, just get the unlock code from your supplier at the end of the contact then replace the stock rom.

That’s not how it works.

Unlocking the phone via your provider simply means you are then free to use a SIM from another provider. It has zero effect on your ability to flash a custom ROM on it, that’s a wholly different ‘unlock’.

Cougar

looks like a no brainer then.

It’s generally straight-forward, if you follow the guides carefully and don’t rush. Fortunately, it’s very difficult to ‘brick’ an Android phone beyond recovery, you’d pretty much have to do it intentionally.

theflatboy
    Free Member

The order I would follow would be to root it, then install Clockwork ROM Manager onto it, then do a full backup of the current setup, then install the new ROM. That way if anything does go wrong which IME is unlikely, or if you just don’t like the change, you have a full backup to restore which will put the phone back into exactly the same state as at backup.

Edit – Clockwork also makes switching, managing, installing and dealing with recovery and ROMs far easier. Get that on there first after rooting.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Awesome info. Read a few guides but this is really helpful.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

That’s not how it works.
    Unlocking the phone via your provider simply means you are then free to use a SIM from another provider. It has zero effect on your ability to flash a custom ROM on it, that’s a wholly different ‘unlock’

You’ve got that wrong I’m afraid Couger goolge it if you don’t believe me.

Example http://gs3.wonderhowto.com/how-to/super-fast-easy-way-install-cyanogenmod-your-samsung-galaxy-s3-no-rooting-0149446/

Its true for other phones but not the s3

Cougar

You’ve got that wrong I’m afraid

I don’t think I have.

What you’re saying is it doesn’t need to be rooted, which I didn’t know and is pretty cool, so fair comment.

But, the carrier unlock is still unrelated to your ability (or not) to change ROMs. I mentioned it not to be an arse but because people commonly confuse the two. Probably a good idea to have it unlocked in any case, of course.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I’m running stock, if I go for a ROM does the FM radio still work? Thanks

theflatboy
    Free Member

No idea, I’ve never used it – different ROMs have different effects on the way the phone’s features operate. If you’re referring to a specific app, let me know which and I’ll check (as above – on SlimKat) for you.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Cheers; The stock ROM has a built in app called ‘FM Radio’, if you could just see if it’s included with SlimKat and if it runs that would be great.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I can’t find FM Radio on Play Store, presumably it’s bundled with Samsung proprietary ROM installation. I can sideload it if the APK is available anywhere – if you have Titanium Backup you could put it on Dropbox for me to download and sideload?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone rooted their Galaxy (S3)?’ is closed to new replies.