Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Has anyone repaired their telly ?
  • thebees
    Free Member

Our only tv has developed an annoying buzz. I have unplugged everything except the power cable and it still does it, so it’s definitely the telly that’s the cause. It’s been spared from the scrap heap twice before but I suspect this might be it for old Nelly.
    Any ideas or suggestions ?
    Would love to see her rise again.

Stoner
    Free Member

does the buzz change volume with the volume setting?

YES: could be speaker prob
    NO: could be capacitor/power issue

Have you tried it plugged into a different socket?

rickmeister

or small speakers plugged into the headphone socket ?

GrahamS

99%* of issues with tellies are due to electrolytic capacitors drying out and going out of spec.

If you can’t solve it by adjusting the volume etc then I’d have the back off, have a look for any bulgy looking capacitors and replace them.

(* made up figure)

Cougar

Caps would be my guess too. Depending on it’s age, it’s either “likely” or “certainly.”

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’m rather annoyed that after 15mths of ownership my Toshiba tele has just packed up. No power at all. The guarantee was 12mths, shop aren’t interested in SOGA and it’d be up to me to prove an inherent fault anyway.

I plan to get the back off and test a few things before shelling out on a replacement.

GrahamS

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSNWi3UHf4[/video]

I plan to get the back off and test a few things before shelling out on a replacement.

Remember to discharge any caps before you touch them!

evh22
    Free Member

Mike Skinner from the Streets would suggest having a look for that thousand pounds that got stuck in the telly last week causing it to break. Best not to assault the TV repair man in a fit of drug and alcohol induced psychosis though…

A grand don’t come for free

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone repaired their telly ?’ is closed to new replies.