Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Has anyone put a longer stroke shock on a Giant Reign?
  • leggyblonde
    Free Member

I was thinking of replacing the rear float with a coil shock as I'm not bothered about weight and would like a more supple rear end on my 06 reign. Whilst doing that I thought I could change the stroke from 2" to 2.25". Will the rear wheel hit the frame on full compression?

james
    Free Member

Remove all the air from your air shock and see how close the rear wheel is then? I'd guess its going to be close. Unless you can get hold of a detailed axle path diagram for an '06 reign you'll never really know without fitting the bigger shock

Does the longer stroke shock have the same eye-to-eye length or not? If longer thenm it may be that it won't actually fit in the frame unloaded

Olly
    Free Member

you could take the current can out all together.

measure the eye to eye on the frame at both full extension, and full compression, and compare it to a spec sheet for the shock your thinking of (if such a thing exists)

my trance does extend a bit further than the outer limits of the shock with the shock disconnected, but it bumps all the links on the frame, which cant be good?

i wouldnt have thought it was that brilliant an idea myself.

you could get someone to make you a custom top link, to extend the shock, which would probably give you a bit more travel too (along with ballsing up what a multimillion dollar bike company have deemed to be the optimum setup)

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Same i2i James. I was hoping someone had done/attempted it to save me looking into axle paths. Good plan about letting air out of the current shock, that will give a rough idea on the space available.

Giant use the longer stroke shock on their reign-x which has essentially the same rear end, but I've already put on longer forks so Giant's geometry engineers are already disappointed in me anyway 🙂

peakprowler
    Free Member

yes .. it works fine on all Reigns, all years

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Cheers peakprowler, I may well give it a go then

peakprowler
    Free Member

dont try to run a piggy back shock tho, they only fit '08 onwards

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone put a longer stroke shock on a Giant Reign?’ is closed to new replies.