Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Has anyone had trouble installing a griplock on a Chris King headset ?
  • mtbcowboy
    Free Member

I have got a griplock upgrade for the chris king 1.125″ threadless headset that I have just installed in my bike frame. However I can’t get the assembled griplock to fit onto the steerer tube as the oring won’t fit over the top of the steerer tube while the griplock is assembled as one piece. The instructions say the griplock must be fitted as one piece and that it should easily slide onto the steerer tube, but it won’t go on. I have checked the size of the steerer tube and it is well within the tolerance on 1.125″ so the steerer tube is okay size wise.

Has anyone else had problems sliding the assembled griplock onto the steerer tube and if so how did you get it on?

PJ266
    Free Member

The ones I have fitted needed a little persuasion with an open palm, don’t be shy!

RustyMac

I was just reading a blog this morning about a custom builder having issues with the griplock on an King i7 headset. Exact same issues as you by the sounds of it.
    http://www.44bikes.com/44blog/

stoney
    Free Member

Just a firm bat with your hand should do it, they are a “tolerence” fit!.

coatesy
    Free Member

Also quite possible that the top of your steerer’s slightly flared, careful chamfering with a file, and finishing with wet or dry paper may help.

mtbcowboy
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, however I have now found out what was wrong. The griplock upgrade has a bearing ring and a compression ring that fit into a top cap with a green o ring in between.

The position of the compression ring and bearing ring in the top cap can vary a bit i.e, there is some play in where the compression and bearing ring can sit in the top cap. If these rings are pushed right into the top cap the green o ring is pushed inwards radially and can’t fit over the steerer tube. So to fit it I had to make sure the griplock assembly was still together as one piece but the compression and bearing ring had to be moved away from the green o ring to allow it to go over the steerer tube. I did follow the instructions when I first tried to install it, but it didn’t mention that the position of the parts in the top cap was critical. All it said was that it had to be fitted assembled together. When I fitted the griplock earlier today I followed the instructions and torqued the top cap to 1.7Nm and then set the stem. After a short test ride it seems to be working well but time will tell after I do some longer rides.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone had trouble installing a griplock on a Chris King headset ?’ is closed to new replies.