Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Has anyone had success training a Dog to run with their bike
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

Good stuff everyone, thanks. Loads of great ideas. 2 sleeps til he arrives. Can’t wait.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

What an utter foolish thing to do! This is cruel to the dog as well as putting the safety of walkers and fellow cyclists at jeopardy! 🙄 please do NOT do it.

spursn17
    Free Member

I like my dogs to stay in my sight so they don’t get caught up in the bike. I taught them that a shout of ‘this way’ means a change of direction, if they get too near the bike they get a nudge on the flanks with the front tyre (they don’t like Bonty mud x’s!), and good recall makes for some good riding time.

I ran all the way over the little one (lab/staff cross) once, it was like a furry speedbump 🙂 She was ok though, she’s a tough little dog.

Andy

Ahem… pics when he arrives then? 🙂

haggis1978

I trained my husky to run behind me so as to avoid the chance of hitting him if he decided to stop abruptly and sniff another dogs ass or anything else for that matter. Huskies aren’t the easiest to train as well so you should have no bother with a retriever. I wouldn’t run him/her for more than 10-15 miles 3 times a week as that’s what a lad who trains huskies told me is enough for huskies and they’re bred to run. Basically same as us, we don’t go to the gym everyday so dogs don’t need that either. Hope you have good fun anyway as I love taking him out but be warned, everytime you go near the bike they will expect to be going with you lol

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone had success training a Dog to run with their bike’ is closed to new replies.