Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Has anyone had success training a Dog to run with their bike
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

I’m getting a friends 3 year old (fit) Chesapeake Bay retreiver this weekend. He’s great and he’ll be a great running/walking partner and family pet.

Can you train a dog to keep him from under bike wheels? or is the dog best left at home as it’s just too risky for riders and dog.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

The dog is mine from this weekend (i’m not expecting to train him overnight)

project
    Free Member

Dogs always chase me.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not had to train the one I borrow, seems as long as he’s happy with your company, he’ll quite happily run with the bike. Now, if I can just keep up with him on the singletrack…

arfur
    Free Member

I’m planning to take my year-old lab out with the bike for the first time tomr. Have a horrible feeling he’ll either be cruising about 47mm in front of my wheel, or, too busy sniffing around in the trees!
    Should be fun tho, i’ll let you know how we get on.

TiRed

My dog rides his 😆

Sorry. I carry ham in my pocket and feed at regular intervals to keep him interested. Since he’s a cocker spaniel, speed is not great, so he always follows up the rear. The food gives me confidence that he’ll come eventually. In fact he normally stays pretty close provided I don’t hammer it.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

I’m wondering if they can get that awareness to keep out from under wheels. I see dogs at trail centres, so it must be ok. I’d hate to think he caused an accident. Just wondering what experiences people have had. If this fella stops on the singletrack there will be no going round the big cuddly fella.

DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

My working cocker had abandonment issues, the only time he came out he stuck about 5 cm from the back wheel and when i braked for a corner overshot on the insider, better sending him out up front. Fin nightmare so he doesnt come anymore.

user-removed
    Free Member

I trained mine to walk to heel and then just carried that over onto the bike – he got the idea within a few minutes and runs a foot or so off the back wheel.

He’s only a smallish lurcher cross though, so no good for distance at speed. Should have bought a collie 🙁 Still love ‘im though 🙂

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

The dog will only go under your front wheel once and learn not to get to close pretty quickly

scruff
    Free Member

I taught mine by using local canal towpaths first as they can only go forward or back. I’ve ran into/over him 3 times, hes like hitting a brick wall, had me off every time. Running isnt a problem for a fit dog, its keeping them under control when there is rabbits / foxes / TJ about and coming back to you thats the hard part. I also taught mine ‘behind’ which is very useful sometimes. Lots of practise, praise and patience.

Del

my spaniel was trained early on to respond to MOVE! when walking. if she didn’t shift out the way she got bumped into/shoved out the way to illustrate the point. shout that and she gets out the way. 😀
    seems to be spatially aware enough now that when she runs in to work with me on the bike i haven’t hit her yet, though to be fair, there have been a few ‘moments’. you just have to remember that they have their own little brain in there and sometimes they’re going to do something we perceive as stupid.
    i don’t nail it though, as i don’t see it as fair for her to be flogging herself to keep up all the time. i could ride to work in about 20 mins at a fairly easy pace, but using all the off-road i can, which includes lifting the bike over a fair few styles, it usually takes me between 40 and 50 mins with the hound. if i walked it would be an hour and a half.
    maybe yours will be different. i treat it as a quick walk, rather than a slow cycle.
    basically though, if you can take the mutt on the lead, and it’s fairly responsive to you, then you’ll be ok. build up distance and speed slowly though.
    good luck!

Andy

If the dog knows the “heel” command and you can refresh the dogs training when not cycling, you can then try doing that on the bike. My dog comes to heel when I am on the bike and runs about a foot behind my back wheel.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Ours were great with bikes, runners and horses. We did a fair amount of training, walking then running with them. Using extending leads and two or three commands, heel being the same on all three ie just behind on right hand side but both would walk or run where pointed (eg by the rear wheel) when asked. Break yours in gently inc the pace and distance as they can be run into the ground – tend not to give up! Have a great time, I loved riding with mine.

andyl
    Free Member

Yup.

English Springer Spaniel here that rides to “wheel” on verges/pavement/cycle paths while I ride down the path/road along side her.

On singletrack she does get distracted by other things if I am riding too slow but being near roads etc is just like the behaviour switch that a gun causes for her to go into shooting mode.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

my dogs have always been fine (and loved it) out with the bikes.

if the dog is getting in the wheels or running in front get a 3ft length of plastic pipe and feed the lead down inside it, this means you can keep him/her exactly 3ft away. find a narrow path for training so there is no left/right to worry about. i use ‘behind’ on the bike and heel when on foot.

obviously keep an eye on paws for wear and give food and water and rests cos a dog will run till it drops dead in extreme cases.

Woody
    Free Member

I’ve given up taking my two out (black labs) other than for very short rides where I’m stopping frequently or pottering about trying new stuff on the bike. Bitch is great as she sticks about a 2 feet away from the left crank no matter what but it seems to stress her out. The dog is just plain stupid and a major random zig-zagging hazard.

andyh2
    Free Member

I use one of these;
    http://www.walky.co.uk/walky-dog-range.html
    on the way to the woods / hills. Works well to keep them a safe distance and the sprung loaded bit takes out some of the shock if they see something interesting. I use body harness, rather than neck collar for connection.

Our black lab is very good at keeping alongside without getting in the way. She doesn’t like being attached to the bike downhill though and I have to keep at the same speed as when going uphill! First time I took her out I thought I’d killed her, as JT says they don’t know when to stop. Had to walk a couple of miles at less than 2mph after over doing the time / distance.

Taking my Mums’ less than 1 year old dog as well is more of a challenge as on the outward leg she’s very ‘keen’. And when off the lead she loves to pick up long sticks that I fear are going to get jammed in a wheel!

Still it’s good fun for us all and I’d get out on the bike much less without taking them along.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

My wife picked up a stray dog and I started taking him cycling, job done. He learnt really quick to keep an eye on me and the bike, uphill he wanders around ahead of me or in the bushes, as soon as he hears the bike speed up downhill he tucks in behind. I’m useless at training dogs but thankfully my dog is clever at working out what I am supposed to have trained him.

hora
    Free Member

Any dog can do it. Heres a Westie (courtesy of SFB).

My advice is let them run infront if you can. The reason being is you can see if they are tiring, struggling and/or if they are behind they’ll out-doo themselves to keep up with you.

devs
    Free Member

I took mine out from 6 months when I returned from a ride, just for a mile, to get him used to the bike. It’s second nature now. He runs to heel and when it narrows he tucks in behind. You’ve got your work cut out training an older dog but it’s not impossible.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i was on a ride the other day with a five month old husky (tho he looks older due to the size of him)…we were out for 2 hours ( biscuites n water for husky onboard)….but he just kept on running and running and running….he was amazing…

scruff
    Free Member

And they prefer drinking from stagnant pools / muddy puddles than the clean water and bowl you should carry with you. Heres another pic.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Can you train a dog to keep him from under bike wheels? or is the dog best left at home as it’s just too risky for riders and dog.”

Maybe, but not looking at the muppet who was trying to get his dog to run along side him on a busy road in the dark last week where I live

trout
    Free Member

Devs
    Wondering if my emails are getting through ref the light loan for the puffer

its on its way for a today before 13.00 delivery

Dunc Paddy took to it nearly straight away on the back road to kildwick from my house
    had 2 dog front wheel interfaces and he now knows to keep away from it .

lazybike
    Free Member

I introduced mine to it gradually, took him in the garage to have a sniff, next day bike out of garage, walk round the garden with it, ride round the garden etc… I still have to buzz him with a mudx now and again 🙂

gillycoops
    Free Member

I’m in the middle of training my Mini Schnautzer, She’s doing fairly well but its a slow process, I’ve been at it for 9 months now a fairly steady job, She’s more than happy with 10 – 12 miles over 2 hours now. I tend to let Her do Her own thing sometimes in front, more often behind Me. I judge Her fatigue by Her tail as mad as it sounds, its a clear indication. Take plenty of snacks for said hound, prepare to have your riding ruined for a while & you/dog will have great fun, good luck with it & enjoy…

scruff
    Free Member

Dont forget to bag your poo and chuck it in a tree, next to your innertubes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am disappoint.

Why has this not turned into world war 3?

devs
    Free Member

trout ygm

trout
    Free Member

I am disappoint.

Why has this not turned into world war 3?

Cos all the argumentative muppets have kept away 😉

jam-bo

taught my collie to heel properly and he’ll now do it if I’m walking, running, biking. He even heels to a quad bike….

teaching them to lie down on command at a distance is very useful as well.

lock
    Free Member

Workout what you want the dog to do,I always av my dogs on my left and behind me when of the lead,
    Take him out a few time on the lead on the bike,he will only get in the way a few times

Before you go out the gate / house what ever make him sit and let you go 1st all the time,

Some dogs are quick enough to stay in front but this means you need to be more aware of him stopping or changing direction

Don’t expect to much to soon but make some rules and stick to them

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

One of my riding mates has a lab that comes out with us regularly, he who started at about a year old, to start with I was a bit nervous he would run into one of the riders but never has and he has been out for a couple of years now.

You did need to be a bit careful about distance though, if you go too far he will knacker himself completely rather than stop

br
    Free Member

Working Cocker here:

Cons – no road sense at all, run for ever, will chase birds/deer/fox’s etc but a shout brings him back, needs his ‘feathers’ keeping down otherwise snow to sticks to him

Pros – doesn’t want me out of eye/nose sight, trained to move out of the way (by tbh been run into…), run for ever, drinks anything, swims to cool down

I’m selective where I take him and stay off roads, but one thing is that because of the pace compared to a dog-walk he’s very stocky compared to his brothers/sisters – almost twice his sisters size.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 whippets that I can’t train to do anything let alone run along by me on my bike. I’ve tried a few times but in the woods it lasts about 5 seconds before they get bored and p*ss off to chase rabbits and squirrels. And horses, deer, kids the list goes on. Jeez they’re a liability

Anyone want two whippets?

TooTall
    Free Member

If you train the dog properly for normal life, a transition to a bike should just be an extension of an existing skill. However, if you are like the majority of UK dog owners you’ll expect the dog to do what you want, when you want with no effort from yourself.

I took a well disciplined dog (who was afraid of bikes) and trained him to run with bikes. It was made all the more easier that I could trust his recall anyway. I liked to use an extender lead in a rucsack to start with – trained him to run at the side of me where there was room but with enough give in the lead for mistakes.

Work with the dog and get it properly trained, then move to the bike. Your reward will be a dog that is well behaved all the time.

arfur
    Free Member

Well, i took my black lab out riding for the first time today – a 1.5hr blast round the local woods. He was perfectly behaved and seemed to really enjoy it. He happily trotted alongside on fireroads, then galloped behind on the singletrack; his nametag rattled about as he ran, so i knew he was following. Also, thanks to djaustin, took his advice and carried a pocketfull of scooby snacks to keep him keen.
    Will deff take him again, plus he’s now flat out – sleeping like a dog :-)!

devs
    Free Member

Before you go out the gate / house what ever make him sit and let you go 1st all the time,

This!! Oh this should be the first thing you teach a dog as it is the most important. Pack leader goes first, it’s what they understand but what 99pc of dog owners fail to realise. When the dog knows that you are in charge the rest is easy.

derekrides
    Free Member

Those dalmations must make excellent trail dogs they had their origins as carriage dogs can run miles, I’m hoping my dobey eventually obeys a few more commands, he’s getting better and three or four miles in, he’s fine will run by most distractions, but early in the ride, other dogs, rabbits, ugly cowering wimmen, left wing health professionals he’ll go for if they show the slightest fear. So he’s the first dog I’ve had to muzzle, just got it the other day after a close call livestock incident (someone left a gate open they shouldn’t).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone had success training a Dog to run with their bike’ is closed to new replies.