Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Has anyone had any trouble with FSA cranks? Specifically the K-Force Light.
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

I posted a few days ago about getting new cranks. One of the models that caught my eye was the FSA K-Force light. Some one mentioned problems with FSA cranks breaking. Has anyone had any experience with this?
    Thanks
    Dave

traildog
    Free Member

I had trouble with the non-drive side bolt which would always work its way lose and the crank would then come lose. A quick google suggested a few people suffered similar problems.

I would certainly be careful with your initial install to make sure it’s all torqued up correctly as if it does work lose I think it will wear beyong repair – I cannot hand on heart say that I didn’t rush the installation, although I do always use a torque wrench for the cranks. Maybe I had a bad set, or maybe I was just unlucky but there you go. I got them at a bargin price (which is I guess why you are asking), and I’d have been very annoyed if they were anywhere approaching full price.

I do find it very difficult to make a case for going to anything other than Shimano for cranks.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I do find it very difficult to make a case for going to anything other than Shimano for cranks.

This^

numplumz
    Free Member

I bought one of the K force light mtb dual cranks in 2010, very cheap from priceshaggers. Like you, would never pay their crazy full prices and had so many other riders offer comments about thread pedals falling out, and poor bearings.

The bottom bracket bearings are very poorly greased from new, I didnt find this out for 6 months and thought they were gone. stripped and regreased with marine grease and they are still going strong 3 years later with regular greasing.
    Probably done about 8K on various bikes and cant really fault them. the only thing that has failed is that the sprung preload washer just rotted away, a sign of how much abuse these have had.

Replacement Control tech rings for the dual work well too.

phil.w
    Free Member

I’ve got k-force light’s on two bikes and afterburners on another. And had no problems.

Depends on the price. I didn’t / wouldn’t pay full price for them as they’re on offer so often…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=90247&gclid=CLOIjZy0kLUCFcjKtAodWgoA0Q

toys19
    Free Member

I had a kforce crankset from on one a few years ago. When I weighed it it was heavier than an xt crankset for the same money. The right hand pedal insert came loose after about 6 months of use and that was that.I would not buy them again, the pedal insert was a crap design that did not have much purchase in the crank. I would say avoid and buy a decent alloy crankset.

I really like MRP Camber cranks got them on my BFe, I also have gravity gap cranks on my covert,they are stiff, and have been totally reliable for the last 18 months. But you cannot go wrong with the big S.

yetitony
    Free Member

I have afterburners and had no issues.

A friend got a good deal on the k-force but as already indicated had issues with the crank bolt working loose and having to be tightened on a regular basis. After approx. 500 miles the insert in the carbon crank arm where you screw the pedal into unbounded from the carbon and started to rattle. It was replaced under warranty but he did get rid of them shortly after as it put him off.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone had any trouble with FSA cranks? Specifically the K-Force Light.’ is closed to new replies.