Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Has anyone got a Ipad?
  • handyman153
    Free Member

Right..
    The more I think about it, the more I want one.

Just wondered if anybody has got one? And so, worth the money? Any good?

Might be worth asking as well, anybody selling there's?

Josh…

trout
    Free Member

I got one about 3 weeks ago probably not worth the money but as it was a birthday pressie and sanctioned by the CFO I went for the 64gig wifi & 3G
    and have used it more than I thought I would and love it now .

bit of a bugger no USB and needing an extra adapter for the camera to down load the photos .

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yes, got it on launch. Haven't touched my laptop since!

….and no, it's not for sale!

GrahamS

Had a play with them today. Seemed very nice and would be good for me and the missus given that we spend hours in the evening surfing and playing games on iPhones – so we could do the same thing with less squinting 😉

BUT… seems to me they are currently underpowered and underspecced compared to the iPhone 4 and new iPod Touch.

I expect a revision in the not too distant future with a FaceTime camera and Retina display.

bruneep

Jamie
    Free Member

bruneep:

I don't get it?

sm
    Free Member

I was given the iPad through work. Not really sure what it's for, I generally use it to browse www while sitting in front of the tv while cr*p factor is on!

I don't think I would buy one.

handyman153
    Free Member

bruneep –
    I don't get it either?

forge197
    Free Member

I got one one Monday and the netbook has been off ever since and will be on ebay shortly. The iPad has an amazing user experience to browse with and use, the screen provides a really nice reading clarity that a laptop/netbook doesn't have IMHO, the apps make it a real bonus to a busy life.

I would get a 3g version to add versitility someone at work bought non 3g and wishes they had. With OS4.2 coming in November it will add more functionality and make it even more useable.

For me it will be worth the money I am about to embark on a much more out and about job so I've built a collection of apps that will help me run my life whilst on the move and keep in contact easily this will leave the weekend freeer for biking and stuff.

I'd say get down the store and buy one 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have a computer. I could spend £500 on nice bike parts.

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes, but imagine for a crazy second you could buy both.

Xylene
    Free Member

School has just bought 30 of them.

Bloody RE department.

I can't imagine Jesus is going to be carrying an IPAD when he comes back

loddrik
    Free Member

Ok for some…

uplink
    Free Member

They've been giving them out at work but I've been avoiding it – I know I'll drop the bloody thing

skidartist
    Free Member

I can't imagine Jesus is going to be carrying an IPAD when he comes back

Jesus goes to your school? Can't someone at least share their iPad with him?

shoei
    Free Member

Got one last week. 32Gb 3G + wifi as well as the Camera Connector Kit.
    The CCK was the big seller as iPad supports raw file from my GF1.
    Got useful apps on it like Wyse Pocketcloud and Angry Birds for keeping the kids quiet.
    Handy as well to take away in the tin tent.

CountZero

Looking to replace my seven year old PowerBook with a Mac Mini first. Plus I'd like more capacity as well, cos I know I'll just be stuffing it full of OS maps and ebooks. My iPhone's got nearly seven gig of apps on it and most of that's mapping; Copilot Live, Viewranger and UK Map.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

Yes, but imagine for a crazy second you could buy both.
    POSTED 12 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

lol

jamiep
    Free Member

serious question for owners: how do you cope without USB? does all content have to be installed via itunes?

IA

Yes, though you can drag n drop to itunes, just like you would if it mounted as a USB drive. The content doesn't need to be stored in itunes.

I cope fine.

Some content I install from the device itself

forge197
    Free Member

Dropbox is an easy means to keep documents and files in sync with the iPad and other machines so don't see it as an issue, just drop files into the dropbox folder on your main PC and they will then be available on the iPad.

Not all contect needs to be added with iTunes and the App Store is available on the device itself, iTunes will then back this all up when it next sees the device.

The more I use it the better it gets, woke up this AM didn't have to head out and had the Sunday Times in my hand ready to read.

zokes
    Free Member

woke up this AM didn't have to head out and had the Sunday Times in my hand ready to read.

Paperboys hate the iPad…

maxray
    Free Member

Got the basic 16gig WiFi through work. Really impressed tbh and it kept our 3 year old entertained during a 4 hour flight. By the end of our holiday she could turn it on, select an app be it drawing or movies and generally work it… so its either very intuitive or she's a quick learner. 🙂

footflaps

I've got the 64G + 3G version and am very happy with it. Use in preference to the laptop most of the time. Email and Exchange sync is superb on it – better than on a PC.

mogrim

Might be worth waiting a couple of months til all the Android models come out – the iPad price is unlikely to drop, but you might be able to get a better specced and similarly capable model for a lower price.

Flash
    Free Member

I'm writing this on one now, I've been asked to give my opinion on it for work.
    As an object it's lovely, smooth, well developed but I just don't know what it's supposed to do.
    To produce a document you need iworks and an account to down/upload you work to. The keyboard covers half the screen, you need an app just to read a PDF off line and it's the best part of £700 for it. I'm sure I could get a nice laptop for the same money

stumpyjon

I quite like the idea of an iPad but looking at the prices they make laptops look like value for money. I like my iPhone so maybe one day…

rob2
    Free Member

we've got one… If you need something just for internet and music and videos its great, and I guess that's what its designed for.

Better models will come out for sure – just like bikes I guess. I love it… Our vaio doesn't get a look in !

GrahamS

To produce a document you need iworks and an account to down/upload you work to. The keyboard covers half the screen, you need an app just to read a PDF off line and it's the best part of £700 for it. I'm sure I could get a nice laptop for the same money

Hmmm… I think people that compare it to a laptop are sort of missing the point of a device like this.

It's a focussed device, primarily aimed at the consumption of media, and not really serious generation.
    There are keyboards and stands available for it if that's what you want – but you really would be better off with a laptop in that circumstance.

(PS which devices let you read a PDF without an "app" exactly?? App is just another name for a program. PCs still need Acrobat Reader. Even if PDFs can be read natively they still rely on an "app" in the OS)

IA

make laptops look like value for money. I like my iPhone so maybe one day…

This is an odd statement… think about it this way – it's cheaper than an iPhone and has a much bigger screen?

forge197
    Free Member

GrahamS has said what I was going to say it's not aimed as a laptop replacement there are tasks that couldn't be done on an iPad, but for consuming media and replying to mails and forums it's really very good. I am sure there are some work applications but I wouldn't want one for work as an only device but there are going to be industries where it might fit.

Mrs wants one too so I have an upgrade path for when the 2nd gen one arrives 😀

Makes web browsing a real pleasure.

handyman153
    Free Member

Thank you for all your replies.
    Went to the apple shop in town this morning and got the 16gb wifi model. On it now and it's great 😀

Cheers
    Josh..

forge197
    Free Member

Well done have fun

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone got a Ipad?’ is closed to new replies.