Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Has anyone got a bike just for… racing?
  • Kryton57

I mean, as well as other MTB’s, did you just buy a “race” bike?

What did you get, and why?

DT78
    Free Member

Scale 930, wanted a 920 but they sold out and weren’t in the sales. Back to back timed test at same hr (closest I could get to scientific) indicated it was faster overall than my old anthem, and the equilavalent whyte cannondale and other bike I forget I tested. If I only had one mtb I would have got the whyte 29

oldgit
    Free Member

My TCR Advanced was for racing only, in all the years I had it it was used on two club rides, a trip to the Pyrenees and one to Paris and that’s it.
    The idea was that it would be pristine for every race and in A1 perfect working order.
    I also had race specific clothing and separate race day shoes.
    Sold it last month, it had been under a dust sheet since the season finished last year.
    I liked the idea of keeping up with the other guys on their bling each weekend whilst I was on a biffer.

Same with the Ridley Supercross. Striped and boxed after the last race.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I iz racin Strava everywherez innit

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nothing that I don’t also use for training on. Reckon it’s best to train on what you race (or something very similar.) Specificity of training and all that.

TiRed

Road: Yes, Giant Propel Advanced.
    Off-road: No (I’m just not fast/skilled enough!).

Road bike was chosen to save watts. It’s kitted out with an old but good groupset (Ultegra 6600) which is crashproof and a set of aero Giant wheels. For club rides, I have a nicer bike. For winter and commuting I have a fixed road bike.

The mtb is a steel SS with light Hope/Crest wheels. I’m fast enough to finish top third, but I won’t be troubling podium any time soon. A nice geared carbon 29er would be fun, but it won’t help much.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, this the latest scheme to try and justify another bike alongside the Enigma? 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Had an S-Works carbon hardtail and an eBay carbon hardtail just for racing over the years. Both perfectly good bikes, but were always overshadowed by other bikes I owned at the time. Happy with my 29er hardtail now. Bought with racing in mind, but used for everything.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t see the point.

oldnick

What njee said, my Scalpel was bought for (very occasional) racing but I rather like riding it so nope.

Aidan
    Free Member

No, but I will replace tyres, brakes, and drivetrain before a big event. If you do all that it should be “good as new” whilst still being what you train on.

Probably not the best plan if you race every week, though 🙂

imnotverygood

Yes, I do have a bike which I bought as a separate race bike. Or at least that was what I told Mrs INVG that this was why I needed it.

I have never ever participated in a race.

stoffel
    Free Member

I’ve got a bike just for racism. I’ts black.

Kryton57

mrblobby – Member
    Kryton, this the latest scheme to try and justify another bike alongside the Enigma?

Well, kinda. 29ers keep pulling away from me and although ideally I’d replace my yeti with a short travel 29 FS, the Yetis current low resale makes it more valuable to keep but having 3 bikes running isn’t financially practical. I’ve been reading about that new GT Helion / Trek Superfly / pivot Mach 4 and while that kind of is my ideal replacement, the idea was to get a cheapish carbon ht 29er for racing. Maybe.

I’m wrong arnt I. I should replace the yeti when I can afford to.

njee20
    Free Member

You need to get over the fact the Enigma isn’t what you want, either enjoy it, or replace it. Perpetually wishing you had something better isn’t helpful. A cheap 29er won’t be any better for racing, which will confirm to you that the Enigma is right.

So yes, if you want to waste your money, do that. If you buy a decent 29er you’ll probably find it better for racing, and riding, than the Enigma, and you’ll have rendered the Enigma somewhat obsolete. But you’ve done that anyway by telling yourself that “29ers pull away from you”.

You can try my Superfly on Sunday by all means.

Kryton57

Well. It’s a conundrum because the Enigma is a great bike but more because the frame was a 40th bday present hence not sellable. I guess maybe I need to not throw wasted money at the racing issue – after all a 26er came 7th on Wednesday. And just get stronger legs.

My general preference is for FS, so I need to think of a long term replacement for the yeti maybe. That GT has caught my eye. I have lifelong ambitions to own a Turner, so perhaps I’ll keep saving for a Czar as my last throw (at my age) at the boutique bike range.

Your right perpetual wishing isn’t helpful, it’s the mental equivalent of beating yourself up. For that reason it’d probably be better not to sit on your bike on Sunday!

mooman
    Free Member

Bought my Ridley cx bike just for racing.
    From September through to the end of December it will get used heavily in the dozen or so races and the prep rides to get used to it again.

warton
    Free Member

I’ve got a racing only road bike, one of these

mrblobby
    Free Member

29ers keep pulling away from me

Sure it’s not riders who happen to be on 29ers who keep pulling away from you 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

All my commute’s are on STRAVA.

STRAVA is a race isn’t it?

Therefore my commuter is for racing only.

Kryton57

mrblobby – Member
    29ers keep pulling away from me
    Sure it’s not riders who happen to be on 29ers who keep pulling away from you

You are most likely – correct.

adsh
    Free Member

Well I bought and built my plastic race 29er. I did build it rather general purpose (as in – shock horror – a triple) learning from the fact that my ‘dedicated race bike’ is a dedicated dust gatherer.

Performance trumps sentiment. I hopped on my new Whyte and did 110miles on the ridgeway and back. Not exactly technical but it was more comfortable and noticeably faster on all descents being more stable allowing rolling where ordinarily I would be braking.

As with you this puts me in a slight quandary as to what to do with my own 26″ ti pride and joy. I suspect it’s going to donote it’s good bits to a Spearfish and become a comfortable mudbike/winter trainer.

So my advice is if you want to go as fast in more comfort then do it and prepare for change.

amedias
    Free Member

Yes, I have a separate race bike, I do occasionally ride it while not racing but that’s normally when I’m testing a change or after fettling/replacing something as a shakedown ride, as the whole point of it as a race bike is that it’s always ready to go, no surprises, and no chance of crashing on it and busting something the day before an event. It’s a 26er plastic fantastic frame from china built up with Rebas and some older XTR and XO stuff that is super reliable and reasonably light, frame was cheap but light and rides well and the theory being that if I do bungle it in a race it’s easy to replace, the goal was lightish but reliable rather than super light.

Sure it’s not riders who happen to be on 29ers who keep pulling away from you

This, the miniscule differences between a 29er and a 26er on some courses is easily overshadowed by variations in fitness and skills, unless you are coming 2nd or 3rd in every race and being beaten every time by a guy of equal fitness but on a 29er then I think you’ll find the wheels or bike would make less of a difference than you.

I have no doubt that 29ers *are* faster on average, but I’m still not going to swap until I’m sure its going to give me a bigger advantage than just getting fitter, I generally place top 10 overall and top 5 in Masters when racing XC locally, and yes, the guys that beat me are on 29ers, but so are most of the guys behind me, I know there’s more performance to be squeezed from me by getting fitter than I would get simply by swapping to bigger wheels at this stage, and I doubt I’ll ever get onto the podiums so for me a race bike is about having a bike that I know is ready to go and working, rather than a constant upgrade for a faster bike.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I have a road bike that I only use for racing. To me, with kids and commitments and therefore quite specific time slots to be able to go for a ride / race, its worth having bikes that are ready to go – or other bikes that are ready to go if one isn’t.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Marrida carbon ht
    Probably the least comfy / fun mtb I have but very fast bike for short xc laps
    Due to time and injury it’s been gathering dust for 3 years

But now it’s outof date 26 wheels not sure what it

mr_stru

I sort of have my Soul for racing as the Rocket really isn’t ideal for Mayhem or the like.

I think the perception that 29er’s will make you faster isn’t helped by the fact that all the quick people at races ride them. I’m sure they are a a bit faster but the quick people still went past me pretty quickly when they were on bikes with sensibly sized wheels too 😉

Next time you race try counting how many 29ers you pass. Even if you’re mid pack then I’d hazard it’ll be quite few.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone got a bike just for… racing?’ is closed to new replies.