Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Has anyone fully dismantled a Shimano XTR spd pedal (axle)?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I mean – unscrewed the axle from the body and then undone the nuts on the axle end to release all the balls.

I think the balls are worn on mine cos they just don’t run smooth any more no matter how much I flush and regrease them.

But it looks flipping fiddley to get new balls in and it all back together with the right bearing load from the locknut.

DanW
    Free Member

It is much easier than it looks. 10-15 minute job unless you loose all of the ball bearings down the floorboards. I would buy spares first which it sounds like you will do anyway. No more than a pound or so on ebay should do it. If you already have the tech doc from the Shimano site then you know what you are up against. There is some trial and error with getting the preload right but nothing super time consuming IMO. Go for it 😀

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not too bad – put grease in, then press balls into the grease. Take your time and it’s very doable, but it is fiddly – mainly sorting the preload.

Edit: what Dan said.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    drovercycles
    Free Member

Yep we’ve done it a few times, it’s fiddly – the bearings are tiny – but by no means rocket science. A competent home mechanic would be fine.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ok, cool, I’ll go for it. I already have a new set of ball bearings but have been putting it off for a long long while.

iain1775
    Free Member

Before you start remember to appease your fridge 😉

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Can’t beat good bit of Mint Sauce 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone fully dismantled a Shimano XTR spd pedal (axle)?’ is closed to new replies.