Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • has anyone fitted a softer spring to their kids suntour xtc jr 20 forks?
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

if so where did you source a spring? or have you modded one for another fork?

oldest kid is only 3 stone and a bit, and not getting much travel out of them (i know they’re crap) so would like to (if its a cheap fix) put a softer spring in them) the youngest will be moving up to a 20″ anytime now and I will have to do the same to his….

and(before we get into whether they “need” them) they ‘want’ sus forks for the rooty trails as they say the rigids are too bumpy and hurt their hands, and to be fair they ride some pretty rooty trails which I wouldn’t want to ride rigid either!

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Stretch it and cut a bit off, obviously a metalshop / engineering place would be able to do this

scaredypants

what tyre pressures are they on? – I’d bet 10-15psi would be more than enough. 1.95 tyre is Probably equivalent to you on a fatbike

my kids are both on inappropriately hard forks (my old coil efforts) so I just run their tyres ded soft

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

The suntour forks on my sons bike, has a spring on each leg. Can you remove one spring and try that? No different to having an air chamber in one leg and damping in the other IYSWIM.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@matzzz wouldn’t stretching it make the spring stiffer due to coils being altered.

@sp the tyres aren’t rock hard, but they ride rocks/roots so can’t run them that soft.

@tj (lol remember him) only one spring fitted…thats the 1st thing i went to do and was surprised that one side was empty..

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Stretch it and cut a bit off,

When you cut springs you INCREASE the spring rate. Counter intuitive I know.

Simon

Correct.

richpips
    Free Member

I’d be most impressed if you found a solution with those forks.

Reduce the spring rate and then watch the stiction increase.

Get some light rigid forks, aged 5-7 the weight is ore important than 2″ of rubbish suspension.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can you remove one spring and try that? No different to having an air chamber in one leg and damping in the other IYSWIM.

Did this to my kids and made no difference except tp male the forks drop not evenly and wedge at an an angle – never even ridden like this just me testing it
    I went for removal to rigid tbh to save weight

Simon

Biggest improvement I made to my kids 20″ bikes was to fit some Kenda Small Block 8 tyres, 2.1 on the front at lowish pressure gave a bit of extra suspension.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘has anyone fitted a softer spring to their kids suntour xtc jr 20 forks?’ is closed to new replies.